PDA

View Full Version : wind breaks

Richard B.
01-12-2011, 08:10 PM
I was wondering if anyone uses wind breaks when ice fishing other than ice fishing shelters? If so any hints on how they are made?

Richard

horsetrader
01-12-2011, 08:18 PM
I was wondering if anyone uses wind breaks when ice fishing other than ice fishing shelters? If so any hints on how they are made?

Richard

Use to use one in ontario three poles and tarp drill three holes 8-10" deep
space them equal distances apart depends on length of tarp put posts in holes pack with snow and bungy tarp to poles it will block the wind

pikergolf
01-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Mamy moons ago I had an ice shack made of 4X8 sheets of plywood. 1 sheet bottom 1 sheet top 2 sides 4X8 and 2 ends 4X4. For ease of erecting I used 3 butt hinges on each corner. Back to your question, we ended up using the sheets, (an end and a side) as a wind beak. We chiseled an L or a little more open about an inch into the ice, with the point facing the wind, then set the two panels shaped as an L into the small trench. We usually jigged for whites with our pike spread in front of us so we could keep an eye on things.

hockey1099
01-12-2011, 09:35 PM
i use my truck as wind break very effective it never blows away

Geezle
01-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Use to use one in ontario three poles and tarp drill three holes 8-10" deep
space them equal distances apart depends on length of tarp put posts in holes pack with snow and bungy tarp to poles it will block the wind

I remember my dad used to rig up a wind break similar to this. (I think) he had the tarp strung between a couple of 2x2's (probably nailed or stapled to the 2x2's) so that it could be rolled up for transportation. Drill a couple holes part way down through the ice, put the posts in the holes and pack 'em in. If it was really windy he'd drill a 3rd hole between the two outside poles and just put another 2x2 in there for a little extra support :)

CeeZee
01-14-2011, 07:19 AM
When Dad used to go fishing far away, he took widbreaks with him to save on space for other gear and supplies for the 5 0r 6 hour drive.

He used two pieces of plywood(unsure of size, i know it wasnt the full 8 feet) and had them joined by a piano hinge with a couple 2x2 on the outer edge to keep the plywood from twisting too much. Did the trick and didnt take up much room too!

chubbdarter
01-14-2011, 07:57 AM
with the new modern ice fishing clothing you can wear your windbreak. proper layering and a floater clothing and your like a oasis of comfort in a blizzard, without risking a plywood injury.
add carbide studs on high quality hunting boots and your a mobile oasis. any shelter, be it a tent or wind break is the last thing you want to move in high winds.
also if the winds are like we get in the south if your dressed right and a hurricane happens you can just hop in your truck and go home. with a tent or a shelter you pull straws with your buddy deciding who will be the one to release the anchor line on your shelter or pull the stakes.
if the wind increases to dangerous levels and we have a tent up, its getting folded NOW!
ive seen too many 800 buck tents become UFO's and they become one usually on the set up or tear down.

CeeZee
01-15-2011, 06:56 AM
IMO the windbreak on top of the clothing as when you are C & R'ing a fish or anything it keeps the wind off the fish and your hands etc along with the wind off the whole so it dont freeze so fast.

calgarygringo
01-15-2011, 07:36 AM
Years ago we did the poles and tarp mentioned earlier. We did it in the spring when it was nice and warm out so did not really need shelter but just a wind break. The winds would just blow everything away. Just make sure you use strong poles as the first time we used tent poles and the wind bent a couple of them. We then went and got some electrical conduit that was heavier than the regular stuff and used it and had and no problems. Works out quite well especially if it is warm and sunny and sure takes care of the southern Alberta hurricanes blowing all your gear down the lake.

Richard B.
01-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Thanks for all the ideas and input.I'm off to Home Depot to see what I canfind

Walleye101
01-15-2011, 10:15 AM
With this much snow, a good shovel will build a nice snow wall.