PDA

View Full Version : WD-40 on bait

GRANDE PAIRIE ANGLER
01-12-2011, 10:01 PM
i was reading up on fish lure and bait sprays and found that wd-40 is used for
atracting fish. lots clame that them and other fishermen have been useing it for 30+ years and it works very well

any one here ever fish with wd-40???

and yes i know that it against the law so you dont need to post that part of info
for me

New Hunter Okotoks
01-12-2011, 10:04 PM
I had heard that as well but it always seemed that it was being used by fishermen who were trolling so I don't think the smell of the lure would have mattered as much as the sight of the lure.

Lazzy
01-12-2011, 10:07 PM
That sounds like a terrible idea.

GRANDE PAIRIE ANGLER
01-12-2011, 10:08 PM
threre one story i seen that guys son was jigin with fish around the jig and thay
whould not bite it pulled it up sprayed wd and chaught his limit in 20 min

albertadeer
01-12-2011, 10:08 PM
All im going to say is.....JACKFISH.....

chubbdarter
01-12-2011, 10:31 PM
i know as a fact the guys in the states spray down their flasher and hoochies for Macks.

its my opinion just keep it out of the water

jacob1202
01-12-2011, 10:35 PM
strangest thing... while out icefishing my son spilled some camping fuel down his hole...he was cold and was trying to fill the heater back up...well he heard it from me to say the least... but it was the only hole that produced all day... weird

GotPumP
01-12-2011, 11:15 PM
I was under the impression it wasn't the scent it added but the scent it took off of the lures.

Overdrawn
01-13-2011, 04:56 AM
Isn't WD made from Organic materail. I have heard guy's use it on the grill of there BBQ's? That's what I was told anyway.

Nationwide
01-13-2011, 05:18 AM
I have heard guy's use it on the grill of there BBQ's:confused:

CeeZee
01-13-2011, 06:52 AM
Isn't WD made from Organic materail. I have heard guy's use it on the grill of there BBQ's? That's what I was told anyway.
The one penatrating fluid that is food grade is the one called FLUID FILM.

valve god
01-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Maybe its time for Mythbusters:confused:

Teamprotz
01-13-2011, 07:05 AM
A buddy mixes it with his chum while lake trout fishing ( manitoba). Can't say yes or no that it works , fishing didn't improve or get worse. I will say he does catch alot of trout over 40 inches.

rapalaman
01-13-2011, 07:08 AM
i am suprised no one has mentiond this yet but w-d 40 is not a good idea to put in the water or on land or on your bbq grill..lol it contains iso cyinites witch is also found in paint thinners and solvents and also in epoxies with a B component it destroys internal cells causes birth defects and is absorbed through the skin from the prosess of osmosis. just use sent that you by in the store thats what its for w-d 40 is for rusty bolts not fishing keep it out of the water!!

Marlin07
01-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Years ago WD contained fish oil in the formula, that has changed now. I used it on a jig last winter while ice fishing and found it didnt really help. Most likely made things worse.

bubba 96
01-13-2011, 07:51 AM
A buddie used to tell me when they fished for sturgeon in castlegar, many many many moons ago, the would soak a rotted chicken in a pail of wd, wierdest thing I ever heard of.....:snapoutofit:

Saskbuck40
01-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Pam cooking spray works as an attractant. Also keeps ice off of the auger blades. Environmentally friendly. And tasty for the fish. Common sense says wd40 is a poisonous terrible thing to put in a lake.

Penner
01-13-2011, 09:04 AM
If anyone has any doubts the best thing you could do is take a shot of WD-40 yourself in a shot glass. If you don't get sick then go ahead and use it as attractant! :budo:

nicemustang
01-13-2011, 09:04 AM
I think this is an old wives tale. But scent obvisously works, so I think anything "could" potentially work. Also, someone posted here once that WD40 was a high percentage of fish oil...

aulrich
01-13-2011, 09:09 AM
The theory I had heard was wd40 has a very similar molecule to herring oil.

A cousin in Manitoba uses it for channel cats and sturgon, a big ball of worms a spray with WD.

Though I wonder if you could get cod liver oil in a bottle still and if it compars in price to gulp spray.

walking buffalo
01-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Using WD for sturgeon fishing in BC was ( maybe still is ??) very popular, and effective.

I've fished with locals on the Fraser and Columbia, and the results were clear. Sprayed bait kicked over unsprayed. Makes sense, as sturgeon find their food mainly by scent.

Try Oiling your bait, just use something water friendly.

camshaft
01-13-2011, 12:15 PM
A few years ago I was watching "in fisherman" I believe. They wanted to test a similar theory so they did the following:

Took 2 identical crankbaits trolled behind a boat on one of the great lakes. Used a planer board and had a underwater camera able to view both lures at same time. 1 lure was out of the box, the other had been soaked in the gas/oil/and grease left at the bottom of the boat near the motor. It was basically toxic sludge dripping off the lure.

Well sure as heck, the oil soaked lure had more hits/fish than the identical "untreated" lure. Pls dont go out and troll our few Alberta lakes with similar sludge dripping from your lure :)

Artist
01-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Works great for starter fluid instead of ether - used it on the farm for our trucks and tractors all the time!

For fishing?......:thinking-006:

whiskybaron
01-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Well I am probably going to get shot for this but I havew used wd 40 on chicken livers to fish for catfish in the red river in Manitoba and believe it or not it works. It not only has some smell to it but it leaves an oily trail to the hook worked well in the murkey Red. we would get more fish on the sprayed ones than the no especially at night. It was probably not the best thing to add to the water but I think it was no worse than what was already in the water to start with and in such small quantity that the harm was quite minimal.

Just for future reference preeration H also works well in the same fashion.

aulrich
01-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Just for future reference preeration H also works well in the same fashion.

Prep H !!!!!!!!!!!!

But there is a possible link I was digging and wd is mostly solvent and some mineral oil, I would bet that prep H also has mineral oil. hmmmm?

New Hunter Okotoks
01-13-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't even want to know where the lures have been that they are getting Prep H on them! LOL!

WayneChristie
01-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Prep H !!!!!!!!!!!!

But there is a possible link I was digging and wd is mostly solvent and some mineral oil, I would bet that prep H also has mineral oil. hmmmm?

Prep H is made partly from Sharks. I think from the cartilage, I forget. I used to fish with artificial salmon eggs and filled the jar with cod liver oil. outfished plain rubber eggs by a huge margin.

Sundancefisher
01-13-2011, 05:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

WD40 was assumed to be fish oil at one point but it is 100% petroleum based. It is toxic to the environment.

GRANDE PAIRIE ANGLER
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
well it an no brainer that wd-40 should not be used do to its is very toxic
one said he used cod liver oil any other good scent out there that are
safe for fish

goldscud
01-13-2011, 07:51 PM
bad stuff for the water

SECTION 3 COMPOSITION INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Ingredient CAS Number Percent
Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates 64742-47-8
64742-88-7
45-50%
Petroleum Base Oil 64742-58-1
64742-53-6
64742-56-9
64742-65-0
30-35%
Non-Hazardous Ingredients Proprietary <10%
Surfactant Proprietary <2%
Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9 2-3

ice
01-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Wd-40 is Produced with a long acting Lubricant, Mineral Oil Similar to petroleum jelly.
It is a petroleum by-product, wich is generally safe for human contact, aswell as consumption. The FDA Has approved it for 10 mg/kg of daily consumption. the rest of the petroleum procuct's used in wd-40 are high-volite solvents (Used to make the product Sprayable), those used such in paint thinner. These solvents diffuse and evaporate quickly when not contained in the bottle, Leaving the mineral oil behind as a lubricant,So in theory aslong as you give the lure time to evaporate, it shouldnt be all bad.
However. You have to take into account the fragile ecosystems the lakes have, And what might be okay for a human to consume. may not be alright for a fish.
The Fact Remains Petroleum Was never meant to be mixed with water, Your toying with things that are known to destroy ecosystems,
Leave the wd-40 at home people...

ice
01-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Wd-40 is Produced with a long acting Lubricant, Mineral Oil Similar to petroleum jelly.
It is a petroleum by-product, wich is generally safe for human contact, aswell as consumption. The FDA Has approved it for 10 mg/kg of daily consumption. the rest of the petroleum procuct's used in wd-40 are high-volite solvents (Used to make the product Sprayable), those used such in paint thinner. These solvents diffuse and evaporate quickly when not contained in the bottle, Leaving the mineral oil behind as a lubricant,So in theory aslong as you give the lure time to evaporate, it shouldnt be all bad.
However. You have to take into account the fragile ecosystems the lakes have, And what might be okay for a human to consume. may not be alright for a fish.
The Fact Remains Petroleum Was never meant to be mixed with water, Your toying with things that are known to destroy ecosystems,
:snapoutofit: Leave the wd-40 at home people...

However i guess the same could be said about 2 and 4 stroke boat engines,
Constantly putting oil in the water :fighting0074:

Crossfire
01-13-2011, 10:22 PM
im sure it works but remember the more things we dump into are water the more polluted it gets it might not seem like alot but when everyone is doing it it all adds up i would just use products that dont hurt water quality

Unregistered user
01-14-2011, 09:11 AM
20 or so tears ago Gary Cooper was doing a lecture at the Sportsman's show and he claimed the secret ingredient was shrimp oil. He said lotsa folks on the west coast used it to spray down their downrigger cables etc. and extra hook-ups were a by-product.

AB RANGER 007
01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
:thinking-006:: Does the word KEROSENE comes to mind. :sign0176:

Bruce.

ericlin0122
01-14-2011, 10:06 AM
if wd-40 works.
Has anyone tried use that stinky fish oil that most Vietnamese restaurants use?? that thing has nasty smell.
yes, all Vietnamese restaurants put a drop or two stinky fish oil in the yellow sauce for spring rolls.

Paul C
01-14-2011, 03:49 PM
:thinking-006: Putting Wd-40 in our lakes and rivers that have been in drought conditions for years. I do not understand what is to gain by this.

MeYammy
01-14-2011, 04:13 PM
From the wd40 website

Keeps top line guides from freezing on fishing rods when ice fishing
Polishes fishing lures
Drives moisture from fishing tackle
Drives moisture from fishing waders after use
Keeps fishing lures corrosion free
Keeps fishing reels rust-free
Keeps plastic fishing lures from sticking together
Keeps tackle from freezing during ice fishing
Lubricates fishing reel knobs
Lubricates swivels on fishing lures
Prevents fishing flies from rusting
Refurbishes antique fishing lures
Protects ice-fishing auger from rust
Rejuvenates soft plastic fishing lures
Spray on fishing line to keep line from becoming stiff

Tofinofish
01-14-2011, 04:56 PM
I've heard the myth for years, and have been asked by guests hundreds of times if I believe in it. I never have tested the theory as I felt it would do more harm to the environment than maybe producing a dumb fish...
I have used it on the boat for pliers etc often.

Saying that, I have used a gallon or two of Fish Oils over the years, on spoons, hoochies,plugs, jigs etc. Mikes Glo scent, Pautzke etc. have proven successful for me.

trainerdave
01-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Anybody try oyster sauce?

lemmotlow
01-14-2011, 10:04 PM
The newfies say it works , as bait. many seals have been harvested this way,spray it on the club you use. true sportsman indeed.

New Hunter Okotoks
01-14-2011, 11:00 PM
The newfies say it works , as bait. many seals have been harvested this way,spray it on the club you use. true sportsman indeed.

If they put it on the club,it's probably to keep the club clean and tidy. I would assume that they would get kind of chunked up with blood and fur after a while. It's probably just to keep the equipment clean; and there's nothing wrong with that.

albertadeer
01-14-2011, 11:01 PM

Hahahaha:sHa_sarcasticlol:

critter
01-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Ive seen a few Gary Cooper episodes where he sprays WD on all his hally baits and does great. This is proof that it isnt totally a myth. I know for a fact that lots of people use it for halibut and bottom fish with great success. myself? i would never, just cus an actual proven scent seems much more practical and eliminates the element of risk.

TomE
01-15-2011, 08:52 PM

Lemm that sure is funny but I don't believe the Newf is going to give your girlfriend or Job back....I'd like to see you runnin over Ice pans clubbin seals to make a "Living" and not for sport...:snapoutofit: Damn, Back to clubbin seals,,Alas..the "Gutpile" season is over...:love0025:

DuckBrat
01-15-2011, 09:04 PM
From the wd40 website

Keeps top line guides from freezing on fishing rods when ice fishing
Polishes fishing lures
Drives moisture from fishing tackle
Drives moisture from fishing waders after use
Keeps fishing lures corrosion free
Keeps fishing reels rust-free
Keeps plastic fishing lures from sticking together
Keeps tackle from freezing during ice fishing
Lubricates fishing reel knobs
Lubricates swivels on fishing lures
Prevents fishing flies from rusting
Refurbishes antique fishing lures
Protects ice-fishing auger from rust
Rejuvenates soft plastic fishing lures
Spray on fishing line to keep line from becoming stiff

Just because it works or the company recommends it does not mean it's right or friendly to our water. Whether its WD 40 or unmaintained two stroke engines our water quality continues to decline.

Unregistered user
01-16-2011, 12:44 AM
Don't buy into the enviroweenie junk, else you'd cry every time you snap off a line to a big fish or you leave weights, hooks mono, plastics behind. Somehow the world seems to get along just fine without a bunch of hand-wringing so and sos.

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
01-16-2011, 10:12 AM
All im going to say is.....JACKFISH.....

Jackfish from the right lake is Better than ANY walleye I have ever had.
My wife and I know where two of these lakes are! (shhhh...)

w-d 40 is for rusty bolts not fishing keep it out of the water!!

WD-40 is for removing water. it is NOT a penetrating oil, and doesn't work well for that. there are MANY better and couple BETTER and CHEAPER options

Works great for starter fluid instead of ether - used it on the farm for our trucks and tractors all the time!
For fishing?......:thinking-006:

I think the formula has changed recently. it no longer seems to work for that now. burns poorly. I'll have to try it again, but you used to be able to run a 2-stroke on it. I don't think you can today

Don't buy into the enviroweenie junk, else you'd cry every time you snap off a line to a big fish or you leave weights, hooks mono, plastics behind. Somehow the world seems to get along just fine without a bunch of hand-wringing so and sos.

I agree. seems we get all worked up about stuff. Like you can't pour your used oil on the side of the road, but Dept of Hwys pours crude all over the place. Where do they think the metals came from in the first place?

As for fishing? I"ve tried it. didn't seem to help. But I've got American Friends who swear by it for trout and walleye.

DuckBrat
01-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered user

A class 1 typical response to those who show any sense of care towards our land and water. Lashing out because deep down you feel guilty for your unsustainable lifestyle that you know does have a negative impact on the world.

Originally Posted by nanuk-O-dah-Nort

I agree. seems we get all worked up about stuff. Like you can't pour your used oil on the side of the road, but Dept of Hwys pours crude all over the place. Where do they think the metals came from in the first place?

This just had be quoted because it's just so damn entertaining to read. Sad how our education system has failed so many.

Retorts done, Now back to WD 40

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab118/duckbrat/IMG_0175.jpg

If it's poisonous to you it's poisonous to the water and all that live there. One spray here and one there adds up. The choices you make do make a difference in the health of our province.

Photoplex
01-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Sorry to burst some scaremongering bubbles here, but I live my life by facts - not here-say, conjecture, and campfire scare stories.

Here are some facts from the WD40 COSHH (control of substances hazardous to health) data sheet (which you can find here (http://www.wd40.co.uk/media/adobe/WD40%20bulk%20liquid%20datasheet.pdf)):

11 TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Oral toxicity (of liquid): LD50>5.0g/kg bodyweight (rat)
Biodegradability (including solvent): Ready biodegradable (84% after 28 days)
This product is classified as Non Toxic to fish

12 ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Biodegradeability: Readily biodegradeable
Bioaccumulation: Likely to bioaccumulate
Mobility:
Water: insoluble. Spreads over the surface of water and will slowly evaporate and biodegrade slowly. Non toxic to aquatic organisms.
Soil: Small volumes released on land would be absorbed in the upper layers and be biodegraded.

Keep the stories of the boogy man for your family camping trips.

DuckBrat
01-16-2011, 01:25 PM
QUOTE: "Likely to bioaccumulate"

Read up on Bio-accumulation. If the product was 100% bio-degradable there would be no bio-accumulation.

Bottom line, if WD 40 was meant to be in our water, it would have already been there. Hell why not just spray a shot on your kids cereal in the morning, if your so confident in the science.

Photoplex
01-16-2011, 01:34 PM
QUOTE: "Likely to bioaccumulate"

Read up on Bio-accumulation. If the product was 100% bio-degradable there would be no bio-accumulation.

Bottom line, if WD 40 was meant to be in our water, it would have already been there. Hell why not just spray a shot on your kids cereal in the morning, if your so confident in the science.

Funny. Present cold hard facts, get countered with scaremongering.

Here are some more facts and definitions to help you along:

Biodegradable: biodegradable bi·o·de·grad·a·ble (bī'ō-dĭ-grā'də-bəl)
adj. Capable of being decomposed by biological agents, especially bacteria.

Bioaccumulation: Bioaccumulation is the gradual build up over time of a chemical in a living organism. This occurs either because the chemical is taken up faster than it can be used, or because the chemical cannot be broken down for use by the organism (that is, the chemical cannot be metabolized).

Bioaccumulation need not be a concern if the accumulated compound is not harmful. Compounds that are harmful to health, such as mercury, however, can accumulate in living tissues.

So, to help you join the dots, WD40 DOES biodegrade (as proven), and that bioaccumulation does not necessarily mean a toxic substance. Non-toxic substances bioaccumulate too. As WD40 is proven to be non-toxic to aquatic and fish life, it matters not one little sh!t that it bioaccumulates.

Capiche?

chubbdarter
01-16-2011, 01:42 PM
im no chemist or biologist.....im not even smart....but i'll say this.

i removed the blade off my mower placed it on the grass in the back yard. just prior i had given the nut that holds the blade on a small shot of WD40. in a couple days there was a dead patch of grass where the blade was placed about the size of a softball

just my observation

Unregistered user
01-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered user

A class 1 typical response to those who show any sense of care towards our land and water. Lashing out because deep down you feel guilty for your unsustainable lifestyle that you know does have a negative impact on the world.

Originally Posted by nanuk-O-dah-Nort

This just had be quoted because it's just so damn entertaining to read. Sad how our education system has failed so many.

Retorts done, Now back to WD 40

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab118/duckbrat/IMG_0175.jpg

If it's poisonous to you it's poisonous to the water and all that live there. One spray here and one there adds up. The choices you make do make a difference in the health of our province.

Of course you don't drive a car, heat your house with fossil fuel, use electricity to power your computer etc. Save your guilt trip, no-one's buying it.

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
01-17-2011, 02:18 AM

My point was the arrogant holier than thou attitudes is what is killing the opportunities for sportsmen faster than the Users of WD-40.

I'm all for mitigating damage when there is obvious alternatives, but let's be realistic. If you are going to be critical of someone using a spritz of WD-40 on a hook, then drive away on your quad, you are a hypocrite.
I'll bet if someone followed you, or me, around for a week, they would find numerous examples of environmental damage.

We all do things harmful to the environment, but it is a matter of scale.

You cannot pour a liter of used oil on the ground, yet check ANY parking lot and see how much it would take to make all the oil spots in the parking stalls.

I agree with you though, and I too am sad our education system failed you.

chubbdarter
01-17-2011, 07:41 AM
i appreciate everyones views on this subject but it bothers me, some seem to be suggesting we turn blind eye to warning labels.
sure maybe you can drink wd40 and not die...... IDK
but there are bottles out there that will kill a person......its best we teach our little ones to respect warning labels......try explain that to your sick kid as he or she lays in the childrens hospital and says Daddy you said that a fear monger paints all the skulls on the cans and not to worry about it.

im not a fear monger but when a company puts a skull label on their own product....well......im going to respect that warning

GRANDE PAIRIE ANGLER
01-17-2011, 11:42 PM
after starting this post and thinking about it
i came to the conclusion that i wont ever put any toxic sprays on my hook's
and we should not compare necessary pollution like trucks quad's boat's
to unnecessary pollution like pouring out old oil, dumping garbage,spraying wd-40 on bait. if we all love fishing we should do what ever we can to make
are waters the best thay can be
even if you dont hook an fish when you leave your wd-40 in the truck
you will i least have the selfrespect that you did the right thing

i think of it like this if i spray wd-40 on my bait im no better than
that jerk that dumps his old washer and dryer on OUR'S quad trails
[any public land]

Photoplex
01-17-2011, 11:52 PM
after starting this post and thinking about it
i came to the conclusion that i wont ever put any toxic sprays on my hook's
and we should not compare necessary pollution like trucks quad's boat's
to unnecessary pollution like pouring out old oil, dumping garbage,spraying wd-40 on bait. if we all love fishing we should do what ever we can to make
are waters the best thay can be
even if you dont hook an fish when you leave your wd-40 in the truck
you will i least have the selfrespect that you did the right thing

i think of it like this if i spray wd-40 on my bait im no better than
that jerk that dumps his old washer and dryer on OUR'S quad trails
[any public land]

Couldn't agree more. Although on the surface it appeared that I am pro WD40 as an attractant, I'm not. I was just pointing out (with evidence) that it is non-toxic to aquatic life, and biodegradable.

My stance is that there is a world of different products you can use that are not controversial or taboo. Fish oils, commercial attractants, etc. There's just no need to be that guy.