PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun Tips?

Moults
01-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Hey guys
Thinking about trying wabamun tomorrow for the first time ever. Not looking for anyone to divulge their sacred spots and tricks, just lookin for some basic tips on where to fish and any helpful techniques.

How's the ice? Drivable?

Also, I know the pike are catch and release, but are the burbs and other keepable fish safe to eat now after that oil spill years ago? I'm not much of a fish keeper anyways, but do like to make a burbot chowder or cajun perch every now and then :)

Thanks for any tips!

CeeZee
01-14-2011, 07:02 AM
I cant offer any tips as i have only fished it once in 2009 with 0 fish, but every fish in the lake is C & R.
Good luck out there, it looks like a blast out on that lake!

linemanpete
01-14-2011, 07:28 AM
The big girls like to hang out near the point at Fallis. Haven't been out there this year not sure what its like.

mikeym
01-14-2011, 08:57 AM
the big pike like big bait.
we also have very good luck with big jigs with bucktails and trailing stingers as the pike tend to grab the tail of the bait and tug to see if the bait will move or not. have found they don't slam the bait but tug at it and run with it before swallowing the bait, that is why a trailing stinger is helpful in catching them. Black/white and chartuse jigs seem to work best.
also find drop-offs. we have the best luck near drop-offs that go from about 6' to around 25' in a short distance. on Wab i find that thsi is about 1000yds out from shore on the south side across from Fallis.

some real nice pike in that lake and we always catch at least 3 or 4 in the 10 - 15 lb range when we go out.

rgds
Mike

mooseknuckle
01-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Was out on Tuesday. We drove on (2 seperate vehicles) I got a little off track coming off the ice but a quick tug and it was all good. 4 X 4 is a must. It's no big secret just go straight on through town head out 300 yards drop a smelt and hope for the best. 100% C & R. But with some of the pike in there, there's always potential for a great photo op!! Or an alberta Record!

Geezle
01-14-2011, 09:30 AM
I think mooseknuckle pretty much covered it. Access isn't great, but we did break a bit of a trail so if you have a decent 4x4 you should be able to do it. Bring a REAL shovel with you though, just in case. I can plow through the fluff pretty good, but when I try to turn around, the loss of momentum kinda sinks me. 2 minutes of shovelling and I'm on my way again.

Everything in the lake is C&R so no burbot chowdah, but there's plenty of fun to be had out there.

Moults
01-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Right on thanks a million guys! I'm headin out first thing tomorrow morning, I guess I will do some exploring, maybe start across from Fallis and see where it takes me! I'll let ya know how she goes!