PDA

View Full Version : White Fish: Bait or no bait?

Lazzy
01-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Today I saw a few white fish swim through my hole and up to my hook only to turn around and never be seen again. I tried a jig with a minnow head, wire worm with a maggot, and another few hooks and combinations. I'm wondering if I'd be better off just using the jig or wire worm with nothing on it. Any advice?

moosehunter3-0
01-14-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't use any bait on my wire worm most cases. If a white comes up and doesn't take it I will try tipping it with a maggot. If they still wont take it I will switch colors. It depends on the day. I have pulled 2 whites out of gull this year and both were caught on unbaited wire worms, but what they will take changes daily.

Sundancefisher
01-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Today I saw a few white fish swim through my hole and up to my hook only to turn around and never be seen again. I tried a jig with a minnow head, wire worm with a maggot, and another few hooks and combinations. I'm wondering if I'd be better off just using the jig or wire worm with nothing on it. Any advice?

Next time...try dropping the wire worm right to the bottom and bounce up and down...no more than 1 cm. Then hold still...then barely wiggle...wait and repeat.

Sometimes however...fish just don't want to bite...

nicemustang
01-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Bait on small spoons, no bait on wire worms is what I would do.

Dust1n
01-14-2011, 09:29 PM
no bait on wire worms and keep switchign up the colors till one hits pay attion to what they want

Dust1n
01-14-2011, 09:32 PM
bait realy dosent make a differnce

Daceminnow
01-14-2011, 10:00 PM
along with all the other suggestions....make your wire worm or russian sit "nice" by pulling your mono back towards the bend of the hook before you drop it down the hole. presents itself to appear more natural.

boonedocks
01-14-2011, 11:22 PM
I have a fishing partner that ALWAYS takes me to school on white fish. Most times he uses a yellow wire worm with a red head,tied so it sits horizontally, and raises the hook slowly from the bottom to the top of the water column.He then lets it free fall back to the bottom.When a whitefish swims in he then trys to drop the hook on its back.Oh yea,he never uses bait.

Guitarplayingfish
01-15-2011, 02:46 AM
For me, wire worm + maggot ALWAYS produces. I don't even bother trying without bait because usually the white will come take a look and buger off.... I prefer to use white wire worm tipped with pink maggot. Good luck.

SonnyCovin
01-20-2011, 07:30 PM
What lake?? Gull,Sylvan, Battle???

Tungsten,
01-20-2011, 08:15 PM
along with all the other suggestions....make your wire worm or russian sit "nice" by pulling your mono back towards the bend of the hook before you drop it down the hole. presents itself to appear more natural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl8B9v1YIZs

Lazzy
01-20-2011, 09:05 PM
What lake?? Gull,Sylvan, Battle???

I've just been fishing Gull lake. South side at Brownlows.