PDA

View Full Version : Solo missions

Geezle
01-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Just wondering how many of you fisherfolk regularly go out fishing alone.

I do it quite regularly, though not always for the same reasons. Due to my work situation, I'll often get time off at odd times, or during poor weather, and I may not be able to find company available to come out with me at the time. Other times I just like to get out by myself for some quiet time on the water :)

So...anybody else out there like to fly solo?

Fishfinder
01-15-2011, 12:48 PM
In spring/summer/fall I'll often fish solo but that's just because none of my regular fishn crew are quite as hardcore as I am. I'll always see if someone wants to come, but if they decline, away I go, solo. Nice to have someone to chat with if the fishn is quite slow, not to mention an extra hand is always "handy" when a biggun is landed.
Winter, I will always go with someone. Much much safer for obvious reasons and lugging gear around/drilling holes/setting up/tearing down/dealing with wind etc etc is way easier with a friend or 2.

Stuck at home today, wishn I be fishn:(

Cheers n GL!

fishstix
01-15-2011, 03:59 PM
I'll usually ask a friend to come. If that person is able to come, great. if not i'll go'er alone. The one real advantage to fishing alone is that you have only your own agenda for the day. You dont have to be home till you want.
Its also easier to 'get away from things' when you are solo.

WayneChristie
01-15-2011, 04:28 PM
I will fish with someone else along, or alone, doesnt matter as long as Im on the water/ice.

jeprli
01-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Alone or with a friend/group it is always fun for me, although i prefer to fish by myself, not for the fish but it feels different, i'm more confident and perceptive for some reason.

Some of the best fishing(size and number) i had was on local waters by myself.

chubbdarter
01-15-2011, 04:52 PM
im not allowed out alone:(

New Hunter Okotoks
01-15-2011, 05:16 PM

I have gone out alone a few times. Last year though, it was near dark when I was packing everything up and nobody else was on the ice. I had taken off my Heavy Coveralls and big boots and as I was stepping off the tailgate,I slipped and fell hard onto the ice. No big deal but it could have been if I would have fallen a different way and smacked my head off the tailgate. It was at least -20 and was getting colder and all I was wearing was a sweatshirt,trackpants and light shoes; no toque or gloves because I was just securing everything in the back of the truck and had already geared down for the drive home.

chubbdarter
01-15-2011, 05:28 PM
I have gone out alone a few times. Last year though, it was near dark when I was packing everything up and nobody else was on the ice. I had taken off my Heavy Coveralls and big boots and as I was stepping off the tailgate,I slipped and fell hard onto the ice. No big deal but it could have been if I would have fallen a different way and smacked my head off the tailgate. It was at least -20 and was getting colder and all I was wearing was a sweatshirt,trackpants and light shoes; no toque or gloves because I was just securing everything in the back of the truck and had already geared down for the drive home.

yup and i appreciate and respect the wardens rules now

60 yards up the bank and a custom weld write off ended my solo days

ghostguy6
01-15-2011, 05:31 PM
I will almost always invite someone to go with me but I will go out alone. The only time I wont go out alone is early ice season. I got to have someone to haul my fat ass out of the water just incase :lol:

lifesaflyin
01-15-2011, 05:50 PM
I usually go fly fishing in small mountain streams by myself and sometimes ice fishing. if its not in my boat where I have to prepare everything and all they have to do is get in, they dont come.

the local angler
01-15-2011, 06:15 PM
for myself 90% of the times i am fishing alone because i am inpulsive when it comes to fishing. i like just going on a moments notice and go exploring. my only down side is if i catch something and want to take a picture with the fish there is no one to take it so i end up with just a picture of the fish itself. don't get me wrong i'd love to have company too but everyone's schedules are different.its all good

Geezle
01-15-2011, 06:45 PM
for myself 90% of the times i am fishing alone because i am inpulsive when it comes to fishing. i like just going on a moments notice and go exploring. my only down side is if i catch something and want to take a picture with the fish there is no one to take it so i end up with just a picture of the fish itself. don't get me wrong i'd love to have company too but everyone's schedules are different.its all good

Impulse is often what gets me fishing by myself as well. Summer or winter, I always have all my fishing stuff in the Jeep, so I can hit the water on very short notice :)

pikeman06
01-15-2011, 08:50 PM
I am pretty hardcore, almost obsessed with my fishing! I take my fishing pretty serious and almost feel guilty dragging someone along sometimes! If I cant fish from sun up to sundown I wont go. I have a good partner who likes to give it his all but as far as taking someone out for 11 hours of staring at a wire worm, well, i think it takes a special person to handle it. But thats just me!

WayneChristie
01-15-2011, 09:07 PM
I am pretty hardcore, almost obsessed with my fishing! I take my fishing pretty serious and almost feel guilty dragging someone along sometimes! If I cant fish from sun up to sundown I wont go. I have a good partner who likes to give it his all but as far as taking someone out for 11 hours of staring at a wire worm, well, i think it takes a special person to handle it. But thats just me!

not just you, guess theres at least 2 of us :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dust1n
01-15-2011, 09:29 PM
3 of us lol

jts1
01-15-2011, 09:30 PM
I am allways headed off into the bush alone. Its hard to find someone to go with a lot of the time. I have been just a few yards away from bears BIG ars cats and what ever els the bush can toss at you. The bear thing dont bother me that much. But them kitty cats sure do freak me out. I am sure one day I will push my luck and have a bad experience. The most I have had now is a fake charge or two and some huffing and puffing. I allways let the wife know where I am going and place a marker on a google map for her. If I have not got home or called at the least by a set time she knows to make that 911 call.

horsetrader
01-15-2011, 09:36 PM
I fish when I want where I want alone or with company makes no difference
to me

1bluZebec
01-16-2011, 12:30 AM
98% of the time during winter I go alone adwell just because of the timing of work and play and it's too hard to have it all planned out so I just like slot of you probably, have my gear with me at all times ready for immediate duty. The more I fish, the more invested in this obsession I get. I'm lovin it!

Garry B
01-16-2011, 12:59 AM

Ha ha, me neither. :)

Willowtrail
01-16-2011, 02:04 AM
Impulse is often what gets me fishing by myself as well. Summer or winter, I always have all my fishing stuff in the Jeep, so I can hit the water on very short notice :)

I"m pretty flexible being self eployed. I met you at chickakoo in Dec. Pm me your info and we can more than likely head out together.

EDMfishing
01-16-2011, 07:31 AM
I usually tend to find someone who is willling or wanting to come, but that has ment I've taught alot of my friends how to fish hhaha and purchased a few xtra ice rods... its all good tho, I've always got my stuff in the truck too so solo adventure happen almost as often! :)

AbProwler
01-16-2011, 07:46 AM
I, mostly head out alone also, but usually, you can find someone on the ice to chat with.

Thinlizzy
01-16-2011, 09:10 AM
I fish alone most of the time in the summer.
My best fishing buddy lives over an hour away.
We plan a couple weekend trips a year. One in the winter one in the summer.
Since I own a business many times when it has been to hectic I will decide the night before that I need to go fishing the next day.
It's hard to have a partner that can go like that.
I don't mind fishing by myself since I can do what I want and try what I want.
I learn more about fishing since I am not thinking about making sure the person I bring has a good time.
I don't mind being alone. It's peaceful and quite and to me that's not a bad thing sometimes.
I have taken 3 nephews and my son fishing this summer.
I enjoy seeing there faces when they get a fish.
With a wife and three kids and a business I am so happy to go that having company is not important. I can see in the future I will most likely be fishing by myself since weekends will be spent driving kids around . Going during the week will be my only option. And we all know that not going fishing is not an option.
Be extra careful when you are on the lake alone. I always have my lifejacket on and the wife knows what lake I am at. I enjoy the company but I enjoy running my own schedule more. If I feel like going fishing I don't have to wait a couple weekend until I have a buddy to go with me. I could be missing a monster fish If I waited a couple weeks!!!

kargor
01-16-2011, 09:53 AM
I normally fish alone , I live out in the country so it's not always convenient for others to join me , also I have to be on the ice before sun up and can't wait for others , I did however take my wife for the first time this year and she enjoyed the experience so who knows may have to drag her along .:shark:

outdoors forever
01-16-2011, 10:12 AM

X2, I'm like you, usually go alone, usually spur of the moment.

About the picture issue - I LOVE taking pics, even of the smaller catches, doesn't matter, but what do you do when your alone? I think some, maybe most, digital camras have a 10 second delay for taking picstures, and I have learned to use it quite well! I was alone on this excursion, and took this pic with the camera sitting on the tailgate of the truck :

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b414/outdoorsforever/100_0081.jpg

So if you can figure out how to use the delay on your camera - problem solved!!