PDA

View Full Version : Snipe Lake

Fishhunter
01-16-2011, 07:19 AM
May be heading up there for a couple days,was wondering about the ice and snow conditions. never been there before so any info or locations on where to go would be great .Thanks in advance.

outdoors forever
01-16-2011, 09:46 AM
not trying to discourage you, fishhunter, but you may want to reconsider. snipe lake is a DISASTER this year. there is adequete ice depth, but then there is about 6 - 10 inches of water on top of that and then a good 12 - 18 inches of snow on top of the flood water. IT IS BAD IN SOME PLACES! on jan 2 I put my truck AND my skidoo through the top crust into the flood water, two different areas, different times of the day. it was a terrible day. DO NOT bring a truck on that lake this winter!

and the fishing SUCKED that day. and many guys that i have talked to since say the fishing has been quite poor there so far this winter.

you may want to rethink a trip if your coming up from Rocky.

trophybook
01-16-2011, 10:31 AM
snipe is brutal got skunked and was took 4 hrs to get of the lake lots of snow and 6in of water under the snow....take chains!

Icefishin
01-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Snipe does not have adequate ice everywhere on the lake! Be very careful if you try to drive on, was there jan 3 on the southwest shore and ice was bout 12" but at least 12-16" of snow on top and any hole you styled would bubble and flood 4" of water by end of day. Got checked by the fish cops that day which was good to see, our lakes could use more policing sometimes. Got good info from him, said that the east shore by the flare stack had about 6-8" of ice and 8" of flood water with same snow conditions. Also said the ice depth is very inconsistent overall and that guys were breaking thru. Even sleds were breaking thru the floodwater and getting bogged down! Be careful, perhaps walk on and be prepared.

FisherKing
01-16-2011, 11:52 AM
i was planning a trip to snipe from grande cache but it doesnt sound like a good idea anymore. has anyone been to sturgeon lately

The Great Outdoors
01-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Fished both Sturgeon and Snipe a few times this year. I have stopped going as the fishing is brutally slow. Only a handful of keepers over a dozen days fishing. Also have seen two vehicles through the ice on Snipe. Dont drive on!!

Fishhunter
01-17-2011, 05:54 AM
Thanks for all your info guys, I will have to find another lake to try.:scared0018: