PDA

View Full Version : South Saskatchewan River Medicine Hat and Area

coearle
01-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks for everyones responses from my last post. I've heard that the river around Medicine Hat and Redcliff can be quite productive at times. Any thoughts?

Spots I've heard are under the Trans Canada Bridge, in Strathcona Park somewhere along the Boat Launch, and out by the Pumping Station in Redcliff. Does that sound right? Obviously now's not the time - but come spring/summer/fall are these good spots?

Any others? Should a guy be casting (spoons, etc) or rigging with minnows?

Thanks!

Cory

pikergolf
01-16-2011, 02:50 PM
The reason these are such popular spots is because they are easily accessable. There are good holes to be discovered all up and down the river, you missed a couple in the city and out of respect to the people that made the effort to find them I won't mention them. Minnows on a pickeral rig seems to be the most popular method, I prefer jigs as it keeps me busy. If your interested, a good jump off spot for exploring would be echo dale park, up stream from there has some interesting water. Be careful around the bank slides for quicksand, I speak from experience.

Fishfinder
01-16-2011, 05:15 PM
pikergolf pretty much summed it up for ya. Do some exploring, Strathcona is a great place to start. Minnow is likely your best bet imo, I find it outperforms most other baits/lures on the SSR usually...wormy is a distant second.
I like to believe the SSR potentially has Alberta record fish in all of the species that roam within it. Call it fishful thinking!:shark:
Cheers n GL!