PDA

View Full Version : Badger lake I'm a *******

deepfried
01-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Anyone out at Badger lake today ?
I was the ******* that thought I saw a path out onto the ice and got my jeep cherokee stuck BUT good :sign0176: ..... saw some tire tracks in , didnt realize someone else had gotten stuck about an hour earlier in that spot. Anways after some digging , and an AWESOME guy that came over and pulled me out with his truck , and some AWESOME guys that helped push and such , we got out and found the actual enterance and froze on the lake for a couple hours with no bites !!

But anyhow , don't know if the helpful guys are AO members or not , but thank you SO MUCH for coming and helping pull me out from my ******* move !!! :sHa_shakeshout:

gl2
01-16-2011, 04:12 PM
good to hear there are still people out there willing to help a guy out.
bad luck getting stuck and even worse luck not catching anything.

gor
01-16-2011, 04:15 PM
went to lake newell this morn. nine pike in four hours. green smelts were hot.
lots of snow and close to stuck also.

crazyaboutfishing
01-16-2011, 04:41 PM
went to lake newell this morn. nine pike in four hours. green smelts were hot.
lots of snow and close to stuck also.

Never been to Newell but would love to try, can you help a guy out? just need to know where to go or something close to where we should fish. Thanks

New Hunter Okotoks
01-16-2011, 09:43 PM
I was out there today. We seen a potential access spot not far past the Hall and walked and found a huge drop off under a ridge of snow that would have seemed solid from a vehicle. This might have been where you got hung up.I assume you ended up getting on at the north end by the hard shack?

We were pretty much stuck in the heated tent all day and only stepped out a few times to check baits. I seen a Mazda 3 out there and wondered how he got out there!

We stayed till close to dark and I think most had left the ice by 2:30.

WayneChristie
01-16-2011, 09:59 PM
I got stuck last weekend on my lake, missed the trail coming out in a whiteout and ended up taking 3 days to get the truck out, you arent the only one :) today the gf was walking down to the lake on the path and went over a 6 foot drop you couldnt even see, carrying the power auger. (auger was ok) :scared0018:

bigbuck
01-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Thinking of going out tuesday boys by myself. So you were able to get on at the north end? Where abouts exactly? and how were the drifts when you actually got on the ice? Thanks

randster
01-16-2011, 10:06 PM
I got stuck last weekend on my lake, missed the trail coming out in a whiteout and ended up taking 3 days to get the truck out, you arent the only one :) today the gf was walking down to the lake on the path and went over a 6 foot drop you couldnt even see, carrying the power auger. (auger was ok) :scared0018:

lol, good to here the auger was not damaged :lol:

FishingMOM
01-16-2011, 10:08 PM

Good thing your truck is unstuck cause if your gf sees that you were more concerned about the auger than her, she might make you sleep in the truck.

New Hunter Okotoks
01-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Thinking of going out tuesday boys by myself. So you were able to get on at the north end? Where abouts exactly? and how were the drifts when you actually got on the ice? Thanks

We got on at the very North West corner of the Lake. Follow the road past the Hall ( Which has a massive amount of snow blocking the entrance and is completely impassable) You will see a hard shack about 100 yards out on the ice and the access point is West of the shack. If you end up due North of the shack,you've gone too far.

If you have 4X4 you will be fine on the ice. There is some drifting but nothing that should cause any trouble.

New Hunter Okotoks
01-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Deepfried, I should note that you were not the only one to do something stupid on Badger Today!

When it was just about time to break everything down for the trip home,my buddy decided to start the truck before we started taking the tent down, and lines out so the truck could warm up.He leaves the tent,the truck starts,the door shuts,the swearing starts! LOL. Yep,he locked the keys in the truck and no onstar or anything like that. After a few calls home to tell the wives that we might be a little late,we found out how to unlock an F150 with a jigging rod and an Ice Chisel without damaging the truck! It only set us back about a half hour and I caught a 40" 21 lb Pike that we would have missed if everything went smooth!

deepfried
01-16-2011, 11:23 PM
I was out there today. We seen a potential access spot not far past the Hall and walked and found a huge drop off under a ridge of snow that would have seemed solid from a vehicle. This might have been where you got hung up.I assume you ended up getting on at the north end by the hard shack?

We were pretty much stuck in the heated tent all day and only stepped out a few times to check baits. I seen a Mazda 3 out there and wondered how he got out there!

We stayed till close to dark and I think most had left the ice by 2:30.

I belive you have the spot pinpointed exactly ! And the guys in the Mazada 3 were the two that came to help push and shovel. They even let my gf sit in their car warm while we all got my vehicle out , some very nice guys in a time of sheer embaressment for me ! But yeah when we got out we went just up north a little bit by the wooden shack and got on their. Not bad once we got in the shack and the heater on , but the getting stuck just kind of stressed me out for awhile , so we only lasted maybe an hour and half or two hours out there , then I was done !!

fandgwidow
01-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Good thing your truck is unstuck cause if your gf sees that you were more concerned about the auger than her, she might make you sleep in the truck.

Thanks MOM!

Yes I did manage to keep myself and the auger upright. (Glad to see all those muscles from shoveling come in handy!) Good thing I had a padded snowsuit for the slide down the drift. I don't want to kiss and tell but, all is well on the home front. He got to sleep in the house last night. :love0025:
Due to weather conditions (read:hardcore fisherman) he was preparing to spend the night in his truck last weekend. :sign0161: It all works out in the end. In exchange for sleeping in and staying warm on Saturday, I got to help dig the truck out for the next couple of days. Kudo's to the nice Forum member who pulled the truck out and saved more wear and tear on our shovels! :sHa_shakeshout:

Gust
01-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Deepfried, I should note that you were not the only one to do something stupid on Badger Today!

When it was just about time to break everything down for the trip home,my buddy decided to start the truck before we started taking the tent down, and lines out so the truck could warm up.He leaves the tent,the truck starts,the door shuts,the swearing starts! LOL. Yep,he locked the keys in the truck and no onstar or anything like that. After a few calls home to tell the wives that we might be a little late,we found out how to unlock an F150 with a jigging rod and an Ice Chisel without damaging the truck! It only set us back about a half hour and I caught a 40" 21 lb Pike that we would have missed if everything went smooth!

Not sure I should be putting this out there but for those that have the fruggin doors lock if the vehicle is running (mine),,, carry a sledge hammer and keep outside of the vehicle while fishin,,, most vehicles after 2000 have an automatic unlock mechanism that will unlock doors on a moderate impact to the front tires - hence the sledgehammer-,, several good slams and your doors should unlock. Test your vehicle at home for this feature.

drhu22
01-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Re: "and I caught a 40" 21 lb Pike that we would have missed if everything went smooth!"

The fishing gods work in mysterious ways!

sako1
01-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Not sure I should be putting this out there but for those that have the fruggin doors lock if the vehicle is running (mine),,, carry a sledge hammer and keep outside of the vehicle while fishin,,, most vehicles after 2000 have an automatic unlock mechanism that will unlock doors on a moderate impact to the front tires - hence the sledgehammer-,, several good slams and your doors should unlock. Test your vehicle at home for this feature.

Huh??

mooseknuckle
01-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Anyone out at Badger lake today ?
I was the ******* that thought I saw a path out onto the ice and got my jeep cherokee stuck BUT good :sign0176: ..... saw some tire tracks in , didnt realize someone else had gotten stuck about an hour earlier in that spot. Anways after some digging , and an AWESOME guy that came over and pulled me out with his truck , and some AWESOME guys that helped push and such , we got out and found the actual enterance and froze on the lake for a couple hours with no bites !!

But anyhow , don't know if the helpful guys are AO members or not , but thank you SO MUCH for coming and helping pull me out from my ******* move !!! :sHa_shakeshout:

Happens to the best of us. Pretty much 4 of stuck out at wab yesterday some a little more stuck than others. Geezle is a smart fellow a little patience and a little shovelling usually works wonders.

Gust
01-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Huh??

It's pretty straight forward; if you hit the tread of your front tires with a sledgehammer and your doors unlock, you have the automatic safety feature installed. It's to help in emergencies where you've crashed and paramedics can't get to you without smashing the windows in.

chubbdarter
01-18-2011, 01:31 PM
It's pretty straight forward; if you hit the tread of your front tires with a sledgehammer and your doors unlock, you have the automatic safety feature installed. It's to help in emergencies where you've crashed and paramedics can't get to you without smashing the windows in.

i can understand maybe the bumper might activate such a thing...but what mechanism triggers a tire to do such a thing.?

Gust
01-18-2011, 02:21 PM
i can understand maybe the bumper might activate such a thing...but what mechanism triggers a tire to do such a thing.?

I'm not sure, a shock sensor maybe?

Some years back heading out to Port Renfrew on Vancouver Island, where there is no shoulder and with dangerous blind curves, a car was in the main lane and causing a bit of a backup. The guy had stopped to take a picture and locked his keys in his vehicle, so this woodsman says fudge it, goes to his vehicle, gets a sledgehammer and the owner of the vehicle starts freaking out, then he slammed the tires and the doors opened. Then he explained this feature in most newer vehicles to all of us watching. Makes sense.

chubbdarter
01-18-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure, a shock sensor maybe?

Some years back heading out to Port Renfrew on Vancouver Island, where there is no shoulder and with dangerous blind curves, a car was in the main lane and causing a bit of a backup. The guy had stopped to take a picture and locked his keys in his vehicle, so this woodsman says fudge it, goes to his vehicle, gets a sledgehammer and the owner of the vehicle starts freaking out, then he slammed the tires and the doors opened. Then he explained this feature in most newer vehicles to all of us watching. Makes sense.

i should ask my daughter if her locks open when she parks....man she hits parking bumpers hard, i think she is responsible for every cracked parking bumper in calgary..lol

sako1
01-18-2011, 09:19 PM

Interesting,13 vehicles thru the shop today,all makes and not one would do it for me.Very weird.

EDMfishing
01-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Hit them harder :)

Drano
01-23-2011, 01:01 AM
lol, good to here the auger was not damaged :lol:

good one...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Kim473
01-23-2011, 02:34 AM
Watch every one go try this. I think I will open a airbag replacement shop tommorow. LOL

seahawkfisher
01-23-2011, 09:00 AM
i've heard of this feature too, but have yet to test it; remember all of you who want to start beating up yer rigs, the motor needs to be running (and not via remote starter, key must be in) for the safety system to be activeated. if your doors don't have an auto lock feature, i don't think they will have the safety measures either.
on a side note, if your air bags deploy, the doors will unlock too...
cheers