PDA

View Full Version : freezing braid

WayneChristie
01-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Was on the ice today, gets kind of tiring having to break the ice build up off the top few feet of braid, although the gf did have a pike hit when she was doing that. Has anyone ever tried rubbing the last 5 or 6 feet of their line with vegetable oil or something like that to keep the ice from building up? and did it work? wasnt a bad day, other than the catching part. I managed to ice a couple hammerhandles, gf lost her fish . Saw a perch, walleye, couple whitefish and 6 pike on the camera, not much hungry though.

chubbdarter
01-16-2011, 07:15 PM
every braid acts different..it depends on the weave. if you remember one of the first braids was Iron Thread it was the highest multi braid ever and it was very pricey but shed water the best. Gorilla was horrid for ice build up. Ive been given alot of different types to try and im happiest not using a braid.....fireline is my choice

slingshotz
01-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Was on the ice today, gets kind of tiring having to break the ice build up off the top few feet of braid, although the gf did have a pike hit when she was doing that. Has anyone ever tried rubbing the last 5 or 6 feet of their line with vegetable oil or something like that to keep the ice from building up? and did it work? wasnt a bad day, other than the catching part. I managed to ice a couple hammerhandles, gf lost her fish . Saw a perch, walleye, couple whitefish and 6 pike on the camera, not much hungry though.

We were talking about that today on Travers about how to keep a hole clear, Gibson came up with the idea of cheap vodka, maybe soak your line in that :)

Worse case if it doesn't work then just drink it.

Mudslide
01-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Spray it (guides, reel and line) down with "Reel Magic" the night before going and then again in the morning. It helps to keep the line from freezing and makes clearing what does freeze easier. BP sells it. It's non oily so dirt won't be attracted to it. I was skeptical but it does work pretty good.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=43105

Geezle
01-17-2011, 06:33 AM
Which braid are you using Wayne? They'll all freeze up of course, but PowerPro seems like it doesn't absorb as much water as some of the others, so it gets crusty but doesn't really build up.

In my little tent with the heater going it's warm enough in there that ice on the line/reel isn't an issue, and if I need to use a tip up I've got one of those insulated ones that keeps the hole open.

WayneChristie
01-17-2011, 07:31 AM
I use powerpro. usually just pull it up and run it thru my fingers to break off the ice, but its a pain after a while.

Shmag
01-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Well this might not be for everyone but its works just fine for me. Once i find the depth i am fishing at i will tie a normal knot about 3ft below my rod tip. Once it starts a good ice build up i will grab the line just below the tip and jig the rod up. The ice slides down until it hit the knot and shatters off. Works pretty slick. I find that the knot doesnt weaken my line any, i dont notice the knot when reeling in and i usually change my ice lines every year so i dont mind having a bunch of small knots in my line by the end of the year. I usually spool more than enough line on my reels so after a line break or so i will usually cut the first 20ft off or so getting rid of 4-5 knots and start over again

Daceminnow
01-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Well this might not be for everyone but its works just fine for me. Once i find the depth i am fishing at i will tie a normal knot about 3ft below my rod tip. Once it starts a good ice build up i will grab the line just below the tip and jig the rod up. The ice slides down until it hit the knot and shatters off. Works pretty slick. I find that the knot doesnt weaken my line any, i dont notice the knot when reeling in and i usually change my ice lines every year so i dont mind having a bunch of small knots in my line by the end of the year. I usually spool more than enough line on my reels so after a line break or so i will usually cut the first 20ft off or so getting rid of 4-5 knots and start over again

never heard of that one before.....must say i'd be a little leary tying a knot in my line on purpose to free ice. that be the day you set on a big hen and TINK! whats wrong with grabbing your line at the last eyelet on pulling the ice down far enough so it sits below the water and disappears? old school i guess don't know all the fancy new tricks.

Shmag
01-18-2011, 08:55 AM
never heard of that one before.....must say i'd be a little leary tying a knot in my line on purpose to free ice. that be the day you set on a big hen and TINK! whats wrong with grabbing your line at the last eyelet on pulling the ice down far enough so it sits below the water and disappears? old school i guess don't know all the fancy new tricks.

lol...well like i said it isnt for everyone. But we are talking about braid here, grab a 4ft peice and tie a knot in the middle and pull like crazy, see if you can break the line on the knot.

spinerfisher
01-18-2011, 09:08 AM

Wayne, try chapstick. works great. repels the water which in turn will not have ice build up. put some on your finger and thumb and then pull your line between them. Like you mentioned, only need a five foot section. put your line down, hit bottom, slick the remainder. Hope this helps:)

drhu22
01-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Wayne, try chapstick. works great. repels the water which in turn will not have ice build up. put some on your finger and thumb and then pull your line between them. Like you mentioned, only need a five foot section. put your line down, hit bottom, slick the remainder. Hope this helps:)

I agree
You need something waxy that wont wash out and repels water.
I was thinking paraffin wax also should work. Light a candle then draw the line through the melted stuff...should work

jeprli
01-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Fly line dressing will work.

nicemustang
01-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Fish inside the tent.

WayneChristie
01-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Fish inside the tent.

That is inside, but when its minus 30 plus and the wind is howling when I jig the line still gets ice, I let the lady sit closer to the heater just because Im nice :bad_boys_20:

chubbdarter
01-18-2011, 07:01 PM
That is inside, but when its minus 30 plus and the wind is howling when I jig the line still gets ice, I let the lady sit closer to the heater just because Im nice :bad_boys_20:

the same lady you make carry the power auger ....lol

Lazzy
01-18-2011, 07:15 PM
We were talking about that today on Travers about how to keep a hole clear, Gibson came up with the idea of cheap vodka, maybe soak your line in that :)

Worse case if it doesn't work then just drink it.

Haha vodka down the hole... niice! Any not so expensive ideas on how to keep your holes from icing up? And ya I got a heater and fish in a tent but still you get that thin layer of ice that blurs your vision down the hole.

Daceminnow
01-18-2011, 08:03 PM
you boys that run a heater/cooker in your tents can have a small pot of water boiling. when your holes start to freeze up, pour a little hot water down. the guys up north in the bigger shacks that are a few feet off the ground use this method as scooping out a hole 3' below the shack floor requires a little more energy.

Jimboy
01-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Just use that wax you use for your bow if your a bowhunter , if not buy it at bass pro or wholesale spts.