PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Calgary! A local question.

spaghetti
01-16-2011, 11:23 PM
Howdy,

So I've been wondering to myself ever since I recieved some fly fishing hooks from my uncle a few summers back about fly fishing on the bow river here in calgary.

Now I know the Bow is famous for fly fishing, but my question to you good people is can I just legally stand next to any part of the bow river, cast my line out, and get on with my life?

I'm within walking distance to the bow, I live in Montgomerey and within walking distance to Bowness.

So what do you gents think?

chubbdarter
01-16-2011, 11:47 PM
your Mohawk gas station has the regs you need

fishpro
01-17-2011, 12:18 AM
There are quite a few regulations governing fishing on all waterbodies in Alberta, not just the Bow River. The following link lists the regulations:

www.albertaregulations.ca

spaghetti
01-17-2011, 12:58 AM
thanks, this is all rather helpfull.
Especially the regulations link.

I didn't actually know the mohawk sold or had regulation information.

Can you buy liscenses at them too?

What I'm specifically looking for is just if I can fish in any portion of the bow river I have access to.

Or are there specific sections devoted to fishing.

I've seen fishermen fly fishing in my area before, but I'd still rather ask then just go out and assume.

Jimboy
01-17-2011, 04:17 AM
Just watch out for human remains , garbage and floating white sausage casings with a lip on them:sHa_shakeshout:

chubbdarter
01-17-2011, 07:26 AM
thanks, this is all rather helpfull.
Especially the regulations link.

I didn't actually know the mohawk sold or had regulation information.

Can you buy liscenses at them too?

What I'm specifically looking for is just if I can fish in any portion of the bow river I have access to.

Or are there specific sections devoted to fishing.

I've seen fishermen fly fishing in my area before, but I'd still rather ask then just go out and assume.

Geezle
01-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Just watch out for human remains , garbage and floating white sausage casings with a lip on them:sHa_shakeshout:

Eeeew jellyfish!! :sick:

WayneChristie
01-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Lots of fish in your area, I grew up fishing there. when you get your license you should get a copy of the regs along with it, they are also online, http://www.albertaregulations.ca/

aulrich
01-17-2011, 09:08 AM
For an urban river the bow is fantastic, plenty of access and good fishing. Can be tough at first but don't let that stop you. There are different reg's for different parts of the river, I saw your post and I read, is it open and can I get access, so yes on both.

Typcally fishing is better down stream of the 17th ave wier, but the wier gone now so there might be bigger fish upstream now.

As for flies San Juan worm with phesant tail prince and hare's ears 12-16 is a good place to start along with stone fly nymphs. spring late, march thru may long is a good time for a newbie to start, the water is low and easier to fish.

Plenty of post on the subjects

goldscud
01-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Bow River (see Map below)
from Banff National Park downstream to Hwy 1 Bridge near Canmore & tributaries except Canmore and Policeman creeks – Open all year.
Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Brook Trout limit 2; Other trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Oct. 31.
from Hwy 1 Bridge downstream to Pigeon Creek, & tributaries
Apr. 1 to Sept. 30 – Brook Trout limit 2; Other trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.
Oct. 1 to Mar. 31 – CLOSED
from Pigeon Creek downstream to the first dam below Hwy 1X Bridge (near Seebe) including reservoir, & tributaries except the Kananaskis River – Open all year.
Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Brook Trout limit 2; Other trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Oct. 31.
from first dam below Hwy 1X downstream to Ghost Reservoir (not including the reservoir), & tributaries except Ghost River
Apr. 1 to June 15 – Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban
June 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Oct. 31.
Nov. 1 to Mar. 31 – CLOSED
from (Ghost Dam) downstream to Bearspaw Reservoir (not including the reservoir), & tributaries except Jumpingpound Creek
Apr. 1 to June 15 – Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban
June 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Oct. 31.
from Bearspaw Dam downstream to Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir (including the Elbow River below Glenmore Reservoir).
CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 31 and Oct. 1 to Nov. 30
June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.
from the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes 500 m of the Highwood River) but excluding all waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird Sanctuary) – Open all year.
Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.
from Carseland Weir downstream to the Hwy 24 Bridge (downstream side)
June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Bait Ban.
from Hwy 24 Bridge downstream to Bassano Dam, including Bassano Reservoir (Fish Management Zone 2, Watershed Unit PP1) – Open all year.
Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Bait Ban.

That Portion of the Bow River covered by Specific Regulations

spinerfisher
01-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Bow River (see Map below)
from Banff National Park downstream to Hwy 1 Bridge near Canmore & tributaries except Canmore and Policeman creeks – Open all year.
from Hwy 1 Bridge downstream to Pigeon Creek, & tributaries
Apr. 1 to Sept. 30 – Brook Trout limit 2; Other trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.
Oct. 1 to Mar. 31 – CLOSED
from Pigeon Creek downstream to the first dam below Hwy 1X Bridge (near Seebe) including reservoir, & tributaries except the Kananaskis River – Open all year.
from first dam below Hwy 1X downstream to Ghost Reservoir (not including the reservoir), & tributaries except Ghost River
from (Ghost Dam) downstream to Bearspaw Reservoir (not including the reservoir), & tributaries except Jumpingpound Creek
from Bearspaw Dam downstream to Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir (including the Elbow River below Glenmore Reservoir).
June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.
from the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes 500 m of the Highwood River) but excluding all waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird Sanctuary) – Open all year.
Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.
from Carseland Weir downstream to the Hwy 24 Bridge (downstream side)
June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Bait Ban.
from Hwy 24 Bridge downstream to Bassano Dam, including Bassano Reservoir (Fish Management Zone 2, Watershed Unit PP1) – Open all year.
Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Bait Ban.

That Portion of the Bow River covered by Specific Regulations

This site should have the regs available:1041:

Okotokian
01-17-2011, 10:41 AM
This site should have the regs available:1041:

You know, that's not a bad idea. Now most regulations/legislation can be found relatively easily, but given we discuss and refer to them SO much, it would be cool if one of the pull-downs at the top was "Regulations and laws" and had links to the current hunting, fishing, and trapping regulations, the hunting draws booklet, the Wildlife Act, the Fisheries Act, and the Firearms Act. Newbies could find them easily.

chubbdarter
01-17-2011, 10:49 AM
i try to be as helpfull as i can
BUT
i worry about anyone who is going to accept specifics on regulations without reading them for his or her self.
geebusssss they give you the regs when you buy a licence

aulrich
01-17-2011, 11:14 AM
I agree there should be a sticky to the regs.

The Elkster
01-17-2011, 12:19 PM
There are lots of things to consider when interpreting the regs. Better a guy ask experienced locals rather than assume anything or drawing the wrong conclusion. What about the newbie to calgary? how likely is he to know all the geographic boundaries ie weirs, dams etc. I know when I moved up it was pretty daunting. Also there have been several regs with some "interpretation" questions that a newbie may well find a bit confusing ie the bait vs baitfish, number of hooks allowed and the fact that a treble is classed as one hook etc. One has to start somewhere and asking local experts is about as good as it gets.

Ultimately everyone is responsible for themselves. Good to put that caveat on any advice.

Spag, just explain the exact location you want to hit up and someone will highlight the key points to watch out for. There aren't any big secrets in the city. Basically most of the river is open with a fall and spring closure for spawning fish. Generally no bait is allowed except for a small opening in the fall where your allowed to use magots for the whitefish (double check that is still in place). There are also some permanantly closured areas such as close to fish traps like below the wier in the city. Here there is no fishing within X distance from the wier to protect vulnerable stacked fish. Don't let the "no bait" thing throw you. Do a bit of experimenting and you will find you'll do as good or better than you did with bait. Fishing can be awesome if you dial in just the right fly...its like hitting three bars on the ol' slots. The secret to the bow is to get that fly bouncing bottom. Adjust the float and weights until you are regularly snagging bottom. Also there are fish all through the river but its generally accepted that you'll catch more and bigger fish in the runs south of the city. Much of the growth is due to nutrients from city outflows and the weed growth/bug life it promotes...go figure.

chubbdarter
01-17-2011, 12:26 PM
yup i agree....but the first step is to read the regs yourself....like i said i like helping anyone but people have to show some inititive

spaghetti
01-17-2011, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=The Elkster;803249]Spag, just explain the exact location you want to hit up and someone will highlight the key points to watch out for. There aren't any big secrets in the city. QUOTE]
Black and white:

The bow where it flows right through shouldice park and past the montgomerey district and into Edworthy park.

Can I fish in the Bow river when it runs through Shouldice and Edworthy or is there some kind of restriction?

The big problem I'm facing isn't so much the reading and knowing of the regulations, so much as I can't make sense of them.
I want to know about "smaller" areas within city limits and I can't make heads or tails of alot of it.

Ironically, I've had some of my best luck catching fish without bait so I'm not really worried about bait regulations since I don't use bait religiously.

chubbdarter
01-17-2011, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=The Elkster;803249]Spag, just explain the exact location you want to hit up and someone will highlight the key points to watch out for. There aren't any big secrets in the city. QUOTE]
Black and white:

The bow where it flows right through shouldice park and past the montgomerey district and into Edworthy park.

Can I fish in the Bow river when it runs through Shouldice and Edworthy or is there some kind of restriction?

The big problem I'm facing isn't so much the reading and knowing of the regulations, so much as I can't make sense of them.
I want to know about "smaller" areas within city limits and I can't make heads or tails of alot of it.

Ironically, I've had some of my best luck catching fish without bait so I'm not really worried about bait regulations since I don't use bait religiously.

you seem to know your land marks
this is your specific regs for the area you speak of

Dust1n
01-17-2011, 04:28 PM
watch out for toilet paper lol

chubbdarter
01-17-2011, 04:32 PM
watch out for toilet paper lol

and Boneless Browns below Calf Robe bridge

spaghetti
01-17-2011, 04:46 PM
you seem to know your land marks
this is your specific regs for the area you speak of

Thanks you so much, it means alot knowing I'm within walking distance of a place I can fish at.

While I'm asking things: Whats the purpose of throwing back trout OVER 35 cm? Isn't it usually customary to throw back fish UNDER a certain length?

Also, you guys sure do know alot of terms for things that aren't fish!

aulrich
01-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Lots if not most folks run the bow as a C&R fishery especially for trout, whitefish in the fall seems to be the biggest exception and even that does not seem too well attended from what I saw.

My guess they are managing for size, and it is surprisingly hard to catch a keeper so will have to suck it up and catch bigger fish :)

The folks who keep, tend to use bait and barbs if you follow my meaning, but if I see you taking a legal fish by legal methods you won't get grief from me, but I do like to encorage the concept of limiting your catch. The bow sees lots of pressure and probably should be C&R only for trout as it is.

Tungsten,
01-17-2011, 06:21 PM
While I'm asking things: Whats the purpose of throwing back trout OVER 35 cm? Isn't it usually customary to throw back fish UNDER a certain length?

On the Bow river it is customary to release all fish back into the river,these are all wild fish there is no stocking of any fish on the Bow.The 35cm thing is for people who like to keep one, any bigger and it must be released so it can grow,mature and spawn.

Braun
01-17-2011, 07:21 PM
On the Bow river it is customary to release all fish back into the river,these are all wild fish there is no stocking of any fish on the Bow.The 35cm thing is for people who like to keep one, any bigger and it must be released so it can grow,mature and spawn.

although ironic because stocking (although unintentional) is how the bow got browns in it in the first place.

and for those who believe it is "Customary" for people to release all trout in the bow; thats just your opinion. It is law to keep anything above. people release fish for several reasons; dont like to eat fish, dont want to eat a fish from the bow because they believe they are dirty and taste gross, one trout under 35 is not enough to feed everyone so they goto the super market anyways so midas well save the trouble of gutting it.

When i release a fish in the bow(which i do 95% of the time), the thoughts in my mind definitely are not that it is customary. I only keep a fish when i want to eat a fish that night(freezing fish is pointless). The fish in the bow taste fine and you will not get sick from it.

spag, don't let people give you **** for or try to look down at you for keeping something in the bow. It's your decision not the people who impose their beliefs on others. and if you need a good recipe let me know

Edit:

sorry to those who may take offense. i just hate people who pressure others to do what they practice. If the regs say you can do it and you want to do it, do it. It is not customary to do anything but follow the regulations

Tungsten,
01-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Edit:

sorry to those who may take offense. i just hate people who pressure others to do what they practice. If the regs say you can do it and you want to do it, do it. It is not customary to do anything but follow the regulations

Customary
Customary
Customary
LOL! Take it easy don't get your hooks all in a nail knot now.

I only used it cause the OP used it.

Maybe commonly practiced would have been a better choice.

spaghetti
01-17-2011, 10:02 PM
although ironic because stocking (although unintentional) is how the bow got browns in it in the first place.

and for those who believe it is "Customary" for people to release all trout in the bow; thats just your opinion. It is law to keep anything above. people release fish for several reasons; dont like to eat fish, dont want to eat a fish from the bow because they believe they are dirty and taste gross, one trout under 35 is not enough to feed everyone so they goto the super market anyways so midas well save the trouble of gutting it.

When i release a fish in the bow(which i do 95% of the time), the thoughts in my mind definitely are not that it is customary. I only keep a fish when i want to eat a fish that night(freezing fish is pointless). The fish in the bow taste fine and you will not get sick from it.

spag, don't let people give you **** for or try to look down at you for keeping something in the bow. It's your decision not the people who impose their beliefs on others. and if you need a good recipe let me know

Edit:

That reminds me actually.

What sorts of fish can I expect to find or catch in the Bow river inner city limits?

Should I be expecting nothing but trout and whitefish?

Or are the only elusive catches in the bow garbage and "jellyfish"?

Daceminnow
01-17-2011, 10:07 PM
seriously boys..............how long are you going to play this cats game? i can't wait for the spring salmon run in the Bow.

chubbdarter
01-17-2011, 10:09 PM
seriously boys..............how long are you going to play this cats game? i can't wait for the spring salmon run in the Bow.

Dace.....lol...i was hoping to increase my idiot number to 5

HunterDave
01-17-2011, 10:16 PM
The 35cm thing is for people who like to keep one, any bigger and it must be released so it can grow,mature and spawn.

:sign0068: What! I thought all you good 'ol boys down in Calgary liked to keep the biggins and throw back the small eatin sized ones! :lol:

Someone's been pizzing on my leg and telling me it's raining!

GaryF
01-18-2011, 04:31 AM
I tiold ya bout the regs on the bow in the other thread, its managed to be a trophy fishery in certain sections. :snapoutofit: