PDA

View Full Version : Electric Trolling Motors and GPS/fish finder combos

mikeo2
01-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Hi all, I am just in the process of buying a new boat, a 16 foot crestliner with a 50 horse mercury. Im looking into which electric trolling motor is best, I have been looking at some of the minn kota's with the ipilot but am just not sure if its worth spending the extra money for that. Also, whats a solid sounder/gps combo that wont break the bank, if there is one?

nicemustang
01-17-2011, 03:22 PM
IMO, ipilot is the best of money I've ever spent. Well worth the cash and a headache saver. My favorite features are the anchor hold and recording a track then having the boat repeat it over and over again.

As for GPS, I really like my HDS5 from Lowrance. A great little unit that isn't too much.

npauls
01-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Ya make sure you get a minn kota that is capable of having Ipilot on it. You will thank us later for that one.

As for the Gps/sonar unit I would say look into the new elite series from lowrance. You can check them out on the bass pro website. They are quite a bit cheaper then the HDS series but still have sonar, GPS, and a built in downscan which is really nice.

Nate

TJG
01-17-2011, 07:06 PM
U do want the Ipilot, I luv it.
Hv u had a trolling motor before?
The Powerdrive is hand held only,
the Terrova has both foot and hand held
that u can use at the same time.
Personal preferance, but foot would
be nice in some situations.

I run a Humminbird 798cxi
very nice unit, side and down imaging
GPS, boat track, spot marking.
U can less expensive units with
out the side imaging.

mikeo2
01-17-2011, 07:59 PM
I have only ever used a transom mounted trolling motor but didnt care for it so I would back troll or use a kicker instead. I figured I would go with the bow mount trolling motor as I have used one before, just not very much and i liked it.