PDA

View Full Version : Coyote

Mike_W
11-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Hello there, I am not a trapper in the least as a matter of fact I have never shot a coyote.

I recenty got permission to hunt some new land for whitetail and the farmer asked if I would shoot any coyotes and or wolves for him if I saw them.

(If I come across a wolf I would probably keep that.)

He dosent want them he just wants them dead.

I struggle with the thought of shooting somthing and leaving it for dead so I would like to know if I decide to go out and shoot some of these little buggers to do a service for the farmer is there anyone who would take them and possibly trade a days shooting for a a bottle of Crown? and if not just take them?

I live in Edmonton and come through westlock on the way home.

PM me

Bushmaster
11-13-2007, 05:13 PM
First, I think you should get over the notion that leaving them lay is such a travesty.
Halford Hide in Edmonton buys whole coyotes and stop in at the Alberta Trappers Assn. in Westlock and see what they have to say about your query.

Pheasantnut
11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Hey Mike, I would call Halford Hide ahead of time. Saw a sign in their window that they no longer buy carcass hides......also overheard a sales girl telling a guy that they aren't buying any furs this year......just FYI...

Prdtrgttr
11-14-2007, 01:45 PM
X2 Halford is not buying coyote carcasses.:cool:

Dr. Fish
11-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Shooting coyotes is just good target practice, way to many of them anyways.
Went for a drive last sunday to scout for deer(no rifle:cry: ) and counted 14 in about 2 hours. Man was I missing my 243.

BigRackLover
11-15-2007, 05:25 PM
What do people do with coyotes then?

Bushmaster
11-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Skin them and sell them to a buyer or in the fur auction.

Or leave them lay.....

sourdough doug
11-17-2007, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=Dr. Fish;71521]Shooting coyotes is just good target practice, way to many of them anyways.
Went for a drive last sunday to scout for deer(no rifle:cry: ) and counted 14 in about 2 hours. Man was I missing my 243.
---as I was saying , if you want to target shoot, go hang some paper. It really PMO When guys who call themselves hunters go out and WASTE this animal. Alot similar as those who shoot up highway signs.. Really helps with the kind of impression that we try so hard to maintain.. I'm sure there is SOMEONE out there who will take the carcass' if you really want to shoot them . I don't mean to sound to harsh but as I said, it PMO to have people shoot just to make something dead..

troller
11-18-2007, 08:32 AM
---as I was saying , if you want to target shoot, go hang some paper. It really PMO When guys who call themselves hunters go out and waste this animal. Alot similar as those who shoot up highway signs.. Really helps with the kind of impression that we try so hard to maintain.. I'm sure there is someone out there who will take the carcass' if you really want to shoot them . I don't mean to sound to harsh but as I said, it PMO to have people shoot just to make something dead..
So because my father in law, 40 years of ethical hunting, has a big ranch and shoots yotes to protect his sheep..he is not a hunter? No he doesn't take the fur in but he also doesn't shoot signs.

Mike_W
11-19-2007, 08:42 PM
No thats the difference troller i have been asked to shoot them by the farmer because he has livestock, However if I see one driving down a road I dont get out and pop it and drive away because there is no purpose in that.

I was saying that even though there is a purpose here in that the farmer requested it ...actually made it sort of a condidtion to hunt his land.
However there now beening a purpose I still dont like the idea of shooting something and letting it go to waste...just a personal feeling and belief.

Nothing against anyone or there family.....geez
I think that this is what doug is tring to say too.

sourdough doug
11-20-2007, 12:12 AM
Thank you Mike for bailing me out . That's what I was getting at. Protecting ones property- that's another story but at the same time still don't like to see them wasted, if they are prime. Someone out there would take them.. Thanks again.. doug

Stubble Jumper
11-20-2007, 11:55 AM
If you sell, barter or trade for a coyote to someone who does not have a fur buyer's licence, you can be fined up to 2,000 or face 6 months in jail. So your only option is a licenced fur buyer and not your buddy or joe blow down the street. Not even your local trapper. NAFA has a website that lists fur buyers in Alberta. Same with Fur Harvesters website.

Koshel
11-20-2007, 02:57 PM
You can also be fined for jaywalking:wave:

Okotokian
11-20-2007, 03:05 PM
So because my father in law, 40 years of ethical hunting, has a big ranch and shoots yotes to protect his sheep..he is not a hunter? No he doesn't take the fur in but he also doesn't shoot signs.

Actually, I would say MAYBE he's not a hunter. He's not doing anything wrong, and I understand why he's doing it. Just not sure that makes him a hunter. F&W who go out out and shoot a nusance bear with a gun. I wouldn't call them hunters.

wsmman
11-21-2007, 09:54 PM
a lot of hutterite colonies but them for 10-30$. whole unskinned i have a few freinds that have done this in the past.

KI-UTE
09-19-2013, 08:00 AM
If you shoot them with 7mm and 300 mags, 30-06 and 270, do the fur market a favour and leave them lay. The end users really don't want them, even if somebody sews up the holes real nice.

I kid you not!

ps, the Alberta Government has now even made a provision for you to legally shoot them and leave them lay without breaking the law anymore.