PDA

View Full Version : Power augers and women users???

BEL
01-18-2011, 02:36 PM
I am presently looking at buying a power auger for my daughter's birthday (don't tell her please). I am thinking of a 2 hp because I think it is quite a step up to 3 seeing that she is 5'3, 130 and inexperienced with them. She works out and I would think she is pretty strong for a young lady--mid 20's. She lives in Whitehorse by the way. What do you think? Thanks. BEL

chubbdarter
01-18-2011, 02:46 PM
maybe consider the SM-lite 8

mooseknuckle
01-18-2011, 02:58 PM
I am presently looking at buying a power auger for my daughter's birthday (don't tell her please). I am thinking of a 2 hp because I think it is quite a step up to 3 seeing that she is 5'3, 130 and inexperienced with them. She works out and I would think she is pretty strong for a young lady--mid 20's. She lives in Whitehorse by the way. What do you think? Thanks. BEL

A lady remington? Come on by the sounds of it she is probably in better shape than me!! Be an awesome dad and get her the big 3hp Stealth 10"!!

jts1
01-18-2011, 03:02 PM
A lady remington? Come on by the sounds of it she is probably in better shape than me!! Be an awesome dad and get her the big 3hp Stealth 10"!!

Well said..lol

chubbdarter
01-18-2011, 03:04 PM

haahhaahhhaha.....old men hate that auger....when it hung up i used to swallow my false teeth

aulrich
01-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Those of us stuck with armstrong augers say only ladies use power augers:scared0018:

nicemustang
01-18-2011, 03:56 PM
There is an incredible amount of torque on a jiffy auger, and in whitehorse the drill is going to be working through a lot of ice. IMO, a eskimo might be a better fit. Lighter weight, geared better and easier to hold on to.

vondogleg
01-18-2011, 04:03 PM
I bought a ten inch strikemaster for this year...very light, and it won't rip your shoulders out of their sockets either...cuts awesome holes...make it in a four stroke 8 inch too!!! Check em out!!

mikeo2
01-18-2011, 04:08 PM
I second what 'stang is saying about the eskimo, I would take an Eskimo hands down anyday over a jiffy.

Winch101
01-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Only one auger to buy Strikemaster strike-lite

very lite , 4 strk. cuts better than jiffy ....

I love it ....
Oh and my wife says I am about as strong as the average girl.:sign0176:

saskbooknut
01-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Drilled thousands of holes with a Stihl auger when working in Yukon, some of the time w/ Water Survey - about 6 foot tall but 135 lbs sopping wet - yeah, I am male. This was many years ago, drilling ice is still the same.
A good auger with a sharp bit - not seeing a problem here with a fit young woman with aptitude to mechanical things.

chubbdarter
01-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Only one auger to buy Strikemaster strike-lite

very lite , 4 strk. cuts better than jiffy ....

I love it ....
Oh and my wife says I am about as strong as the average girl.:sign0176:

when my 4 blade SM lazer bites the big one that will be my next auger.
Winch do you think think that 4 stroke engine will turn a 10 inch bit?

BEL
01-18-2011, 04:45 PM
I bought a Strikemaster Laz Mag last year and love it. It is lighter than the Eskimos and my old Jiffy. If I see a deal on one I will get it for her but not likely. I may have to settle on the other two. Are the Eskimos really much lighter? I don'tknow if I can afford a Strike Lite as they are pricey. BEL

chubbdarter
01-18-2011, 04:50 PM
I bought a Strikemaster Laz Mag last year and love it. It is lighter than the Eskimos and my old Jiffy. If I see a deal on one I will get it for her but not likely. I may have to settle on the other two. Are the Eskimos really much lighter? I don'tknow if I can afford a Strike Lite as they are pricey. BEL

TFH has eskimos on for 289.00

Tundra Monkey
01-18-2011, 04:57 PM
There is nothing worse than pulling and pulling and pulling on an ice auger.

If you LIKE your daughter you will buy a Husq. They make some pretty small ones. They are a little pricier though.

tm

Wolf Tracker
01-18-2011, 05:05 PM
I would go for a husq.I used my uncles in manitoba and loved it.Nice and light and lots of power.

hockey1099
01-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Im pretty sure i young person with good joints can handle any auger out their despite sex and weight. These things arent that powerful.

I vote for an eskimo as well. Good price and value. My mako starts first pull everytime as long as i have primed it. The only time i pull more than once is when i forget to prime.

turnpike
01-18-2011, 05:58 PM
I second what 'stang is saying about the eskimo, I would take an Eskimo hands down anyday over a jiffy.

X2

deanmc
01-18-2011, 08:03 PM
If she has the muscles to drill holes with a manual auger she will be fine with any of the power augers.

Chris K
01-18-2011, 10:43 PM
You won't find a nicer auger than a Strikemaster.

Chris K

Jimboy
01-18-2011, 11:30 PM

Pics in mind small girl spinning in circles on frozen lake hangin on to auger with legs straight out behind her :sEm_oops2:

Penner
01-19-2011, 09:21 AM
I would go for a husq.I used my uncles in manitoba and loved it.Nice and light and lots of power.

X3 for the Husky. The best auger on the market.

BEL
01-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks to all who replied. A couple of funny ones LOL. I am looking for a deal somewhere and I want to be ready once it comes down and having good info is important. I'm glad some of you are "passionate" about your Eskimos and you have convinced me to look that way also. That Stingray for sale at TFH does not have good reviews or else I would get one. It seems to have pull cord and starting problems. Do any of you have one? It might be a bit small for the Yukon. BEL