PDA

View Full Version : talk about the snow!

buckhunter66
01-18-2011, 11:37 PM
:sign0176: well what i here over this last snowfall it got to much.. and there wont be no vehicle access until late February and march, when that snow gets packed down.. i guess its only sledding on the lake now.

Kim473
01-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Probly be march the way it looks out there.

WayneChristie
01-19-2011, 06:59 AM
plus 4 this weekend, we will lose lots of snow again

Geezle
01-19-2011, 07:02 AM
I wonder how the warm temps coming up will effect all the flood water on Wab.

Will the snow get heavier and flood the ice more? :confused:

dragon
01-19-2011, 08:40 AM
I wonder how the warm temps coming up will effect all the flood water on Wab.

Will the snow get heavier and flood the ice more? :confused:

only if we get more snow... melting snow will not increase mass, merely increase density

nicemustang
01-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Is there that much snow up there?

highwood
01-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Yes Mustang, truck access is virtually a no go

TYEE
01-19-2011, 09:29 AM
This is not cool, i transformed a 72 scamper trailer into an ice shanty, haven't used it yet this year!! There must be a lake where locals plow a trail with a tractor or something? I have a buddy flyin in from Gibson BC on the fourth of Feb. Might have to consider Lady Hawk cabins on Lesser Slave, hope they managed to set up? Then again, do they offer transportation to the shacks?

nicemustang
01-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Ya they do via sno bear, but it was broken I heard so hopefully they got it fixed. Although I guess they plow a trail out anyway.

highwood
01-19-2011, 11:15 AM
I would suspect access will be possible on the south shore of Slave to the various popular dropoffs and flats, however access to any of the smaller lakes is extremely limited due to the heavy snowfalls. Even without surface water there is alot of snow, and 4-8 inches of water under it certainly complicates things. ATV access in someplaces is even doubtful. Personally I hope it keeps coming, the small northern Perch lakes could use a rest....as well as some water :)

TYEE
01-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Hopefully there is access to south side areas of Slave. We've had some of our best trips at Canyon Creek. If anyone has solid info on this area it would be much appreciated. A couple years back we made it oh..... I'd say fifty yards on the lake, only to get pulled out by a local with his haglund thank goodness. Thanks again, if you are a regular to the forum. From there it was on the highway back to Edmonton. BUMMER! :mad0030:

wildman
01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
anyone know the condition of cold lake??
2wd got no chance??

TYEE
01-19-2011, 02:04 PM
I seen an earlier post where someone had said fish and wildlife did not recommend anyone on the lake? Search this forum for Cold lake you will find lots of recent threads.

wildman
01-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks t!!

gramps73
01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
anyone know the condition of cold lake??
2wd got no chance??

Heading that way tonight after work, from what i have heard the access to and from is good but then again I am in a 4X4...

wildman
01-19-2011, 08:51 PM
good luck G!!!
super jealous!

liar
01-19-2011, 10:01 PM
i am in barrhead area and with the temp warming up i plan to check out dolberg on the weekend with the snowmobiles . the top wire is all that i can see on most of the fence line so i am sure that trucks are not going on too many lakes up here . we went across thunder a few weeks ago and there was lots of snow and water . did not dare slow down . we have had another foot of snow since then . if you dont have a snow mobile , bring lots of friends with shovels .

thefloormat
01-19-2011, 11:23 PM
hey liar, I'm thinking of heading out to lac la nonne on sunday, tons of snow out there eh, best I plan on bringing a toboggan and walking on instead of risking getting stuck with just the 2 of us?

liar
01-20-2011, 07:36 AM
it snowed about another inch last night and is comming down still. if your headed to lac la nonne , heres a few tips . most of the secondary roads here have not been plowed yet . by sunday they will have cleared more but you may not be able to park real close to the lake . bring some duct tape and tape your snow pants to your boots . you will find snow that is up to your crotch and finally bring extra water cause you will get a work out .

but if the forcast is right and it get to 2c , you gotta go !!!

Penner
01-20-2011, 10:32 AM
I have over a meter of standing snow in my back yard in Edmonton. Anything 50km North of Red Deer is a sh!t show right now with the all of the snow and flood water. Skidoo’s, walking, or hang gliders are your only chance right now.

As the flood water comes up to the surface of the lake, it does transform some of the first few inches of snow into water from the underside and eventually the flood water will freeze solid but that takes 3-4 weeks on average from my experience. If it keeps snowing the cycle just keeps repeating itself. So we need it to stop snowing and we need some cold temperatures but if even if that happens it will be 4x4 at best.

As for Cold Lake, it doesn't freeze over until late December so any snow they got up there prior to that would have simple hit open water thus just disappeared into the lake. Unfortunately most of the snow fall accumulation has come the past couple of weeks so I anticipate its just about as bad up there. I haven’t been up that way so I’m only assuming at this point.

Snowfall the past 4 of 6 seasons in the Lakeland has been pretty heavy. It’s made open water fishing awesome as the lakes were not getting pounded so hard over the winter as it was hard to get out on the lakes.

There next to nothing for snow around Calgary so head south to test out those Reservoirs. Some monster Pike to be had.

buckhunter66
01-21-2011, 10:57 AM
ya a guy was hoping to drive on lots this year.. but cant control mother nature.