PDA

View Full Version : Mooneye Lures and Places

trapshooter
01-19-2011, 05:37 PM
I was wondering what lures to use for mooneye fishing and where are some places to go mooneye fishing?

WayneChristie
01-19-2011, 05:40 PM
bobber and a grasshopper, and 6 miles south of my house (lower Bow River)

Geezle
01-20-2011, 06:47 AM
In the summer around Edmonton you can catch them almost anywhere in the NSR. Early in the season they'll go for almost anything flashy...small spinners and spoons are great. A little later they start to get picky and bait (hoppers, minnow, worm) or flies are the way to go. :)

Alberta Bigbore
01-20-2011, 08:02 AM
they love elk hair caddis flies near Fort Sask. Small flashy Cleo spoons, slip bobbers and a jighead and minnow or worm...... easy fish to catch

Dust1n
01-20-2011, 01:47 PM
RDR with a orange spinner

gui
01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
what does a mooneye looks like. i know theyre the cousin of the goldeye. but ive never seen one

WayneChristie
01-20-2011, 06:28 PM
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF0342.jpg

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF0345.jpg

gui
01-20-2011, 07:10 PM
they look just like goldeyes, do they live in lakes? i think theres some in blindman river, or old man river. i dont rememmber

WayneChristie
01-20-2011, 08:29 PM
this is the Lower Bow, not far from the forks and the Oldman

Dust1n
01-20-2011, 09:38 PM
there is none of em in the blindman river i live beside and fish it every time i can and yet to see em or catch em.but yes theres lots in the battle

gui
01-20-2011, 09:42 PM
why do they call em mooneye when they look the same like goldeye. same body, same color and their eye has a gold circle around it...wierd. maybe its like the walleye and the sauger? so much alike but different...

Dust1n
01-20-2011, 09:49 PM
why do they call em mooneye when they look the same like goldeye. same body, same color and their eye has a gold circle around it...wierd. maybe its like the walleye and the sauger? so much alike but different...

except i can tell the differnce between a suagar and a eye

chubbdarter
01-20-2011, 09:57 PM
there is saugeyes

Dust1n
01-20-2011, 10:00 PM
ya

albertadeer
01-20-2011, 10:29 PM

Cause there eye DOESN'T have a gold circle...it has a half gold circle, the other half is silver...mooneye

gui
01-21-2011, 05:28 AM
oh ok thats pretty cool. where can u catch those. only in rivers?

Dust1n
01-21-2011, 11:24 AM
ya in spring use tiny orage spinners and rip it through the shallows of a river dont be afraid to catst into knee deep water for them

Coulee
01-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Trapshooter, you're over thinking this. A mooneye technically can be told apart from a goldeye by the number of rays on it's anal fin. However, it's just a small goldeye. Nothing more, nothing less. Geezle just told you how to catch them. They love bright and/or shiny lures. 1/4 oz is a perfect size. Plus worms where it's legal. As for walleye and sauger, walleye have a white belly with a bronze flank blending into green. They have a distinct white tip on the bottom of their tail fin. Sauger are similar, but have a patchy appearance, just like your cammo clothes, and have no white spot on their tail. When it finally warms up, go out there and get yourself some. You already know all you need to know.

Dust1n
01-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Trapshooter, you're over thinking this. A mooneye technically can be told apart from a goldeye by the number of rays on it's anal fin. However, it's just a small goldeye. Nothing more, nothing less. Geezle just told you how to catch them. They love bright and/or shiny lures. 1/4 oz is a perfect size. Plus worms where it's legal. As for walleye and sauger, walleye have a white belly with a bronze flank blending into green. They have a distinct white tip on the bottom of their tail fin. Sauger are similar, but have a patchy appearance, just like your cammo clothes, and have no white spot on their tail. When it finally warms up, go out there and get yourself some. You already know all you need to know.

has anyone caught a saugeye on this forum? cause i got one out the NSR

Coulee
01-22-2011, 05:13 PM
I have heard of "Saugeye" being caught in the Great Lakes area, such as Ohio and that region. I've never seen or heard of one caught here. Don't even know what it looks like.

Dust1n
01-22-2011, 08:39 PM
I have heard of "Saugeye" being caught in the Great Lakes area, such as Ohio and that region. I've never seen or heard of one caught here. Don't even know what it looks like.

ya if u catch one in a spot stick to that area theyll likly be others there