PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance elite 5 DSI?

npauls
01-20-2011, 12:58 AM
For those of you that have checked these out what do you think of them?

I kind of have been thinking about selling the beloved HDS 8 and buying 2 of the elite 5 DSI's and still have some money left over from the HDS 8 sale to fix up my boat a bit more to my liking.

For me this could be a great way to have gps/sonar/downscan at the console and also the bow of my boat.

With the way it is going right now I don't think I will be getting the structure scan set up for my HDS 8 for quite some time and if I had the DSI I would have the downscan which is really the only part of the structure scan that I was looking forward to.

Let me know what you think of this idea while I keep thinking it over and try to decide.

Nate

Mudslide
01-20-2011, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't trade my HDS-8 in for them. No way! They aren't broadband so they are limited power, limited depth and limited to downscan only. Cool unit but for the money I would go with a Humminbird 797ci-si. Actually the Lowrance HDS series (especially the 8 and 10 inch models) are the best unit you can get. If you already have the 8, I'd stay with it, Anything else would be a big step down. I'm going to get the Structurescan module for mine this spring for sure.

npauls
01-20-2011, 02:03 PM
I really wish I could get the structure scan module for mine but with this back injury and entry fees upcoming for the SAWT I can't see that happening unless we cash in some cheques from the trail.

The only part of the structure scan that I would really use would be the downscan part which would be used to find jigging areas and places to troll or drift over while searching for walleyes.

nate