PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in western SK?

pophouseman
01-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Does anyone have any past experiences (recent hopefully) fishing in western SK. the areas I am talking about are:

chitek lake
turtle lake
loon lake
meadow lake (area 40+ lakes)
spruce lake
little fishing lake

and anything else in this area. I know there are over 1000 lakes in this area. Does anyone know where the nice size pike and abundant walleye are?

AK47
01-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Does anyone have any past experiences (recent hopefully) fishing in western SK. the areas I am talking about are:

chitek lake
turtle lake
loon lake
meadow lake (area 40+ lakes)
spruce lake
little fishing lake

and anything else in this area. I know there are over 1000 lakes in this area. Does anyone know where the nice size pike and abundant walleye are?

I fished in Meadow lake park few lakes this summer... Not sure about winter fishing but some of these lakes you can't keep small pike ( uo to 2-3 lbs) off ...every 2-3 casts I was getting a bite. I liked the most Third Mustus lake ( there I cought biggest at 12 lbs), Rusty lake and Waterhen lake. Did not have much luck with walleye anywhere though, maybe because pike was getting to the bait first.

steveo10
01-20-2011, 03:45 PM
have a cabin at Loon lake. just like any other lake you just need to know where the fishing holes are. doesnt have the biggest fish out there but 8lber will feed the family alright

we go over to the far side of the lake where there is no cabins, a bit of a beach to set up shop for the day. while others are boating we will fish from the waist deep and have no problems catching fish

pophouseman
01-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the info, have you ever caught anything 15 lbs plus in meadow lake area? I caught one at turtle this summer from a canoe, 32" and 13 lbs. most people I talked too said it was the biggest they heard about all year. although sometimes it is more fun to catch 80 small pike in a day then 2 big ones..........(maybe)...I was hoping for some info on walleye in the area..........

steveo10
01-21-2011, 10:16 AM
12lber is the biggest ive tooken out of Loon. fella took out a 18lber last yr i believe.

AK47
01-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the info, have you ever caught anything 15 lbs plus in meadow lake area? I caught one at turtle this summer from a canoe, 32" and 13 lbs. most people I talked too said it was the biggest they heard about all year. although sometimes it is more fun to catch 80 small pike in a day then 2 big ones..........(maybe)...I was hoping for some info on walleye in the area..........

There are some big pike for sure. I hooked into monster in Rusty while fishing perch with microjig and ultra light spinning rod. Needless to say fight was not fair.... saw the glimpse of the fish once, certainly close to 20lbs and eventually after 3-4 minutes she snapped the line.

fitzy
01-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Lots of 20# + fish caught in Waterhen every year, the mustas string is great, 4th mustas is the best of them all if you know how to get into it. Basicly in the area your looking at fishing pick one and you can catch fish. Most of them see a lot of pressure which can help you out if you dont know where your going, just look for the packed down areas.

CantThinkOfAName
01-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Stayed at Chitek Lake for a week last summer (June or July). Spent the whole time fishing... and it was tough. We threw everything from crankbaits to quick-strike rigs for pike and some days we were lucky to catch anything. I think we caught 2 walleye all week, one by trolling a crank and one with a slip-bobber (after about 3 pike inhaled my leech first).
I personally wouldn't go back... we just didn't enjoy the lake, the camp, or the fishing enough.

My gf has entended family with a cabin at Lac Des Iles in Meadow Lake PP. And she absolutly loves it. Says the lake is pretty, the water is super clear. She claims you can easily catch fish off shore or dock or in a paddle-boat (like she used to). I still haven't made it out there with her, just some time I will.

I lurk http://www.fishingsaskatchewan.ca/new/ all the time, I recommend you do it too. I'll usually find a lake, and do a search on the fishing sask site to see what they say about it.

bigdeer91
01-21-2011, 09:20 PM
have a cabin at Loon lake. just like any other lake you just need to know where the fishing holes are. doesnt have the biggest fish out there but 8lber will feed the family alright

we go over to the far side of the lake where there is no cabins, a bit of a beach to set up shop for the day. while others are boating we will fish from the waist deep and have no problems catching fish

i lived in loon lake all most all my life and iv fished all the lakes around there.there are some big pike and eyes in them lakes.just have to find the holes there held up in.like most locals no all the good spotes but still have a hard time getting them.
pm me if you would like some good spots for eyes pike and perch.

pophouseman
01-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks big deer I will do that later in the year. From everything i have read. (and i spoke today with an old timer who lives in the area) I am getting the impression that loon lake is the best chance in that area to get a trophy pike and a few walleye dinners??

steveo10
01-28-2011, 01:09 PM
i lived in loon lake all most all my life and iv fished all the lakes around there.there are some big pike and eyes in them lakes.just have to find the holes there held up in.like most locals no all the good spotes but still have a hard time getting them.
pm me if you would like some good spots for eyes pike and perch.

havent tried for perch in quite some time... ill be hitting ya up in the summer time