PDA

View Full Version : How's Everyone's Season Going?

iliketrout
01-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Saw this exact thread on the Trapping Forum so I figured I'd post to see if anyone is having unusually good or bad luck, or just an average season like me.

I started off great with brookies, then I was brought back to reality at Spray, managing only 1 foul-hooked baby laker in 3 days, and since then, I have been doing mediocre at best on the prairie reservoirs. I did manage to catch a decent walleye on the ice at Travers thanks to Chubb's tips and Mustang doing his best as guide.

How about you guys? Any personal bests (or worsts)??

baitfisher83
01-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Been a slow season for me, only been out to pcr a few times and fishing hasn't been that great for me there.....hoping to get a lot more fishing in before the ice thaws

The Fisherman Guy
01-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Oh ya, she's a real gem this year.

So far I have seen a lot of holes drilled, few fish caught, spent a tonne of money for 8 keeper fish in over 10 outings. Let's not forget the BS I went through at BPS to return an ice tent.

I DO know that we will be heading to a mountain lake to set up my wall tent for a ice fishing / camping trip some time soon. Fishing out of my bed sounds delightful, waking up to the bells ringing - even better!

That should make up for the amount of money I have thrown into the southern Alberta wind trying to catch ANYTHING!

iliketrout
01-20-2011, 03:09 PM
I DO know that we will be heading to a mountain lake to set up my wall tent for a ice fishing / camping trip some time soon. Fishing out of my bed sounds delightful, waking up to the bells ringing - even better!

Sounds like a great way to cleanse yourself of the bad "Ju-Ju".

FishBrain
01-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Not having to bad a year, Spray likes me!!!!! so that makes me happy. I have been able to get 2 of 3 kids out fishing with with me, and they caught fish both times!! Eva caught her first ever Laker, and Anna has caught her first ever Burbot. he was small but tasted just like the big guys. I managed to put my first brookie on the ice this year.
I dont think I have been out yet this year and been skunked. I know its coming, and wont be surprised when it happens, but still hope it doesn't happen.

chubbdarter
01-20-2011, 04:01 PM
the season has been good but the weather conditions have sucked.
fish have been in there usual locations but sometimes not as cooperative as we all hope.
getting old is a bugger i cant do the marathon trips like i used to, friends of mine have had excellent success with big eyes this season.
it aint over till the last chunk of ice is gone.....good luck everyone
great thread i-trout

the local angler
01-20-2011, 05:39 PM
the first month or so was great did great on the whitefish run since i missed it last year. then when the xmas and new years holidays it slowed down and then work issues, then someone hit my vehicle so i was dealing with that BS. i haven't been on the ice for about a month and an half now and getting restless. soon i hope.

WayneChristie
01-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Started off great on 3 or 4 inches of ice for perch, then the pike were going crazy, my personal best and lots of big girls. Now it seems to be hammerhandle time but at least Im out fishing. Maybe CVR will get me back into the big fish.(so I can show Adam what they look like) :sHa_sarcasticlol:

iliketrout
01-20-2011, 06:27 PM
(so I can show Adam what they look like) :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Them's fightin' werds...

Saturday will be very interesting.

jacenbeers
01-20-2011, 06:41 PM
SO far this year has been pretty bad but before January it was good. I think that is because of fishing with you all the time Adam. I bet this weekend will be great.

outdoors forever
01-20-2011, 07:49 PM
TERRIBLE.

One good outing at Winagami Lake, pike were on like crazy.

But I also put my truck AND my ski-doo through the ice at Snipe Lake and to top it off, caught nothing there at all this year.

Hope it gets better..................

slingshotz
01-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Season was awesome at the start of the year for me after falling through the ice and then got progressively worse a month later, maybe I need to fall though again....

I'm getting a little antsy to have another busy fish day, might have to hit Bonavista for a few hours to get the fishing rods unfrozen again.

calgarygringo
01-20-2011, 09:06 PM
i can't add much as I have fished with the above guys. Well first trip was great 10 Brookies between me and partner. Next trip 0 Brookies between me and partner. And no that was not the trip he fell in the drink. Trip to Traverse and caught several wallys, small pike and a burb. Went out a week later and not a sniff. Went out with above guys again to spray and caught one dinner size laker and an almost. Hopefully Saturday I can latch into a few more. Seems to be awfully up and down. I can fish the same lake, same hole , same bait one week to next and fish are hiding after we leave. Even drilling holes all over the place was not the answer a couple of times out..
Maybe it is just the time of year, the weather, the moon. I didn't check the moon for the weekend but hopefully it is lined upp correctly.

Buck Krazy
01-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Good, so far got an 11pound walleye, and countless pike. Did okay for brookies in november. Saturday hope to beat my PB walleye and pike...

nicemustang
01-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Yeah I'm starting to think it's Adam as well.....what the heck were you doing in the trapping forum?

iliketrout
01-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Well I wasn't actually in it, but it was the thread that was most recently updated and I saw it from the main page. And for the record I never actually picked the spots....LOL

BK, Congrats on that Walleye!!

pikester
01-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Well my season started off with a bang but between s*itty weather, Christmas travelling, & family obligations almost every weekend lately, it's slowed to comatose :( I'm getting out Saturday though so maybe I'll get back on track!:fishing:

Dust1n
01-20-2011, 09:42 PM
to be honest after opening season i got my limit on everything at sylvan nope perch and only kept 3 whites and went back again to find it was empty fished everywhereseen some but it was slow at gull sylvan and cow

icefever
01-20-2011, 09:54 PM
having a great year some nice huge bulls, went to spray caught 16 lakers one day, no real big ones but still fun, not skunked yet this year

Safety D
01-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Its been DEAD DEAD DEAD for me this year compared to previous ones. The snow is killing a guy. Ive pretty much through the towel in for the year. Did great on early ice trout thats about it !!!

Fishfinder
01-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Not to shabby. Started the ice year(my 2nd) catching brookies. Smoked some up good and been munching on them every outting since. Been fishing pike/perch for last month or so with decent success but nothing huge. Out abaout 10 times so far this winter, been able to elude the skunk which is nice. Gonna stay on the pike for a few more weeks then move to the rainbows I'm thinking...then...open water WOOWOO!!!:sHa_shakeshout:
Cheers n GL all!

spaghetti
01-23-2011, 02:37 PM
It's... been a learning experience.

This is the year I told myself I'd finally try out river fishing but so many snags in trying to do somthing completely new, you know?

My only experiance in fishing was devoted to the ancient practice of trolling and using spoons, so thats what I'm used to.
Just last summer I was reeling in nothing but pike.

So now I'm wondering if I can apply any of this to trout fishing, do trout bite on spoons or are they commited to flys only? And even so, if I cast into a river with a spoon instead of a fly am I going to get my hook back?

vettedreamer
01-23-2011, 08:59 PM
have to tell ya the old #6 five of diamonds work JUST fine for rainbows and Brookies ................from a old hand line ice fisherman