PDA

View Full Version : Newish to ice fishing can anyone give me a good spot to go that is close to Calgary and most likey have dinner to bring home?

ddfisher
01-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi Guys

I have only ever been ice fishing once last year and I am going to give it a try again this Saturday. I am bringing my sister and our 2 daughters. We would like to find somewhere near Calgary (ie Chain Lakes) that we can assure we will dinner home. Is anyone willing to give us any tips ? Thanks.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/thinking-006.gif

chubbdarter
01-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Hi Guys

I have only ever been ice fishing once last year and I am going to give it a try again this Saturday. I am bringing my sister and our 2 daughters. We would like to find somewhere near Calgary (ie Chain Lakes) that we can assure we will dinner home. Is anyone willing to give us any tips ? Thanks.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/thinking-006.gif

you best edit that.....because having 2 daughters with your sister isnt legal

New Hunter Okotoks
01-20-2011, 08:26 PM
you best edit that.....because having 2 daughters with your sister isnt legal

Read it again. They are each bringing 1 of their own children. I HOPE!!!! LOL!

chubbdarter
01-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Read it again. They are each bringing 1 of their own children. I HOPE!!!! LOL!

thanks for the clarification

back to the regularly scheduled program

iliketrout
01-20-2011, 08:56 PM
If you want to assure that you bring supper home, I'd get Joey's take out...

But seriously, most of the trout ponds close to calgary either winterkill or are fished out by now (go figure...). Chain seems to have lots of trout and a quick search will give you many results on what to use and where to fish. Depending on your vehicle and the ice conditions, you may be able to drive on. These are the latest threads about Chain:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=78535&highlight=chain+lakes

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=80309&highlight=chain

Phyllis west of caroline has a bunch of little perch and a bunch of little rainbows...

Other than that, I'll defer to the experts as this year, I have been going to the prairie lakes and doing a lot more learning and a lot less catching.

ddfisher
01-21-2011, 08:27 AM
LOL How would 2 women have 2 daughters? lol But I did throw in that info so people would know I was looking for child friendly. Last year we went to Phyliss and actually that is one of our favorite places ever. So peaceful and serene, but all we caught were a ton of little perch. We can catch there in the summer no problem but we also dont really know the trick to ice fishing yet. We do have a truck that that 4x4.

chubbdarter
01-21-2011, 08:56 AM
LOL How would 2 women have 2 daughters? lol But I did throw in that info so people would know I was looking for child friendly. Last year we went to Phyliss and actually that is one of our favorite places ever. So peaceful and serene, but all we caught were a ton of little perch. We can catch there in the summer no problem but we also dont really know the trick to ice fishing yet. We do have a truck that that 4x4.

opppssssss...........sorry
i dont fish pine coulee but if you read some of the threads i think your chances are good there.

FishBrain
01-21-2011, 12:25 PM
PCR is a good choice. you will catch lots of walleyes (cannot keep), and burbot (can keep) with the odd Pike. very odd by the sounds of this year. Use a smelt or part of on a glow jig head and bounce it off bottom. no guarantees,, but there are no guarantees for any lake...hense why it is called fishing, not catching.

OH and the way it is worded it does sound like you have 2 daughters with your sister.
And in this day and age it is totally possible for 2 women to have children. LMAO
Sorry had to.

baitfisher83
01-21-2011, 01:11 PM
You're all twisted....lol but anyways pcr is likely your best bet for keepers but you're likely only gonna manage burbs if you even get those, it's been pretty slow for me this year....I think Wayne's been hogging them all...

fishsauce
01-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Sent you a pm.

SushiUnagi
01-21-2011, 07:13 PM
PCR for sure! Even if you only catch walleyes (and have to release them) your kiddos will have a blast at the very least.

captain
01-21-2011, 07:56 PM
if you bring fish home every time , we will have to start calling it "catching" not "fishing":sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dust1n
01-21-2011, 08:16 PM
local ponds

New Hunter Okotoks
01-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Pine Coulee is the best bet. There will also be a lot of people around if you need any pointers or help drilling holes.

I know how to get there but I don't know the # of the road to get to PCR west of the 2. It is not signed well, if at all.

baitfisher83
01-21-2011, 10:32 PM
south on hwy 2 then turn right at Stavely on hwy 527....

SushiUnagi
01-22-2011, 09:58 PM
So...did you go to PCR or Chain? Did you catch anything?

Dust1n
01-22-2011, 10:17 PM
use worm!:bad_boys_20:

ddfisher
01-23-2011, 01:40 PM
So...did you go to PCR or Chain? Did you catch anything?

We ended up at Chain lakes and we actually caught NOTHING! Of course it was still a awesome day. How can you go wrong spending the day fishing ? its just not possible. I was pre-warned by everyone here and the fishing hole that there was no action there and yes that was the case but we did get a few bites and saw a few.