PDA

View Full Version : Which Jig For Walleye and Pike (Pictures)?

trapshooter
01-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Which one of these would works better for walleye and pike ice fishing?
The first 3 glow in the dark. Would I use smelts with them?

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/DSCF1814.jpg

whitetail Junkie
01-20-2011, 10:42 PM
I would'nt bother with the Rubber's,however get some Jig heads the same color as your green Rubber aswell get some Bright orange 1\8 oz jig heads also. Walleye can see many colors,however they can see Orange better than all other colors,follwed by yellow and Green!

No B.S!!!!

Good Luck !

Alberta Bigbore
01-20-2011, 11:45 PM
plain jig head tipped with a minnow for walleyes for sure,, especially at a gimme lake like Pigeon. Hungry little baaaastuuurds

you could always try chubby darters

bigdeer91
01-21-2011, 06:41 AM
how is pigeon lake to get on to is there lots of snow .would a 4 by 4 make it on at golden days.

dave99
01-21-2011, 07:17 AM
All of them look pretty good - I'd let the fish decide!

If you're topping it with bait, you could just use a jig head though.

Dave99

WayneChristie
01-21-2011, 07:39 AM
they should all work, try various colours too, and if you are just fishing for pike you could upsize a bit too.

Daceminnow
01-21-2011, 07:48 AM
I would'nt bother with the Rubber's,however get some Jig heads the same color as your green Rubber aswell get some Bright orange 1\8 oz jig heads also. Walleye can see many colors,however they can see Orange better than all other colors,follwed by yellow and Green!

No B.S!!!!

Good Luck !

i've always been told blue is seen by walleye the best as it is near the top of the color spectrum.

PERCHY
01-21-2011, 10:36 AM
if i were you i would invest in some stinger hooks..they work great and you wont miss a bite if they short strike those jigs....Good luck out there

gl2
01-21-2011, 10:43 AM
i've always been told blue is seen by walleye the best as it is near the top of the color spectrum.

best research i have read says walley lack the blue-yellow cells and have the red-green cells. it says that walley see most likely see things in either the shade of red or green. thats not to say blue wont work cause it does sometimes. i would recommend u get some that allow a small blade to be put on the bottom (i have found this helps attract more agressive eyes).best bet is to bring a variety and try everything. nothing more frustrating than marking fish and not being able to do anything to get em.....good luck.

nicemustang
01-21-2011, 10:55 AM
best research i have read says walley lack the blue-yellow cells and have the red-green cells. it says that walley see most likely see things in either the shade of red or green. thats not to say blue wont work cause it does sometimes. i would recommend u get some that allow a small blade to be put on the bottom (i have found this helps attract more agressive eyes).best bet is to bring a variety and try everything. nothing more frustrating than marking fish and not being able to do anything to get em.....good luck.

x2. Walleye see blue as nothing (grey scale) so don't think that it's an attractant. Remember red is the first color to disappear in the water column, happens around 18 feet. So if your fishing deeper, orange, yellow or green is better. Glo or white does seem to work well, but in murky conditions. It wouldn't be my first choice on a clear lake.

nicemustang
01-21-2011, 11:00 AM
To the OP, throw out the last one IMO, unless you want to use it for perch (hard to tell it's size). I personally would stock up on green, yellow, and pink heads as well. Can't just have one color. Typically a grub body isn't needed although has it's uses at some times. Personally I prefer double tails over grubs, but then you can get a lot of pike (which isn't a bad thing). And if you insist on using grubs or tails or some kind, use gulp alive ones. You might as well us something with scent.

calgarygringo
01-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Chris
Funny you mention blue as a blah color for walleyes. Since I was a kid and still do use for trolling a blue rapala with white belly. Catches walleye all the time and probably my most used trolling lure in my box.

nicemustang
01-21-2011, 11:18 AM
It's just what the books say. To be honest, I have never used anything blue. I stick to natural selections.

calgarygringo
01-21-2011, 11:22 AM
I dont know why either it is the only blue lure in my box and the guys that boat fish with me go buy them as well.
Go figure.

Dust1n
01-21-2011, 11:44 AM
plain jig tipped with a smelt or minnow add the stinger hook for the lite biters

Big Red 250
01-21-2011, 11:44 AM
PIKE:I wouldn't use a smelt on any of those jigs as the heads are too light and the shanks are too short. Get a heavier jig as it'll sink the smelt alot faster, adding a treble for a stinger, attaching it to the jig with a length of brass snare wire. This will avoid bite-offs. Length of brass wire will depend on length of bait. The wire is easy to bend if you have it too long. Hook-up your smelt so that it sits upright in the water. Always use a quality 12 inch or longer leader when pike fishing. Don't bother with the twister tails. Fish in a lake that is known to have big fish in it if that is what your looking for. I've caught fish on every color jig imagineable, even purple. For pike, a 12 inch bait was average.

Dust1n
01-21-2011, 11:51 AM
PIKE:I wouldn't use a smelt on any of those jigs as the heads are too light and the shanks are too short. Get a heavier jig as it'll sink the smelt alot faster, adding a treble for a stinger, attaching it to the jig with a length of brass snare wire. This will avoid bite-offs. Length of brass wire will depend on length of bait. The wire is easy to bend if you have it too long. Hook-up your smelt so that it sits upright in the water. Always use a quality 12 inch or longer leader when pike fishing. Don't bother with the twister tails. Fish in a lake that is known to have big fish in it if that is what your looking for. I've caught fish on every color jig imagineable, even purple. For pike, a 12 inch bait was average.

you dont need leaders if u set the hook unless its on the tip up i use a florclear leader. and long shanks?lol have u ever noticed pike bite by the head or just below it? iv experamented with every color for pike to lol including pink and yes it does work quite well

Mayhem
01-21-2011, 12:17 PM
if i were you i would invest in some stinger hooks..they work great and you wont miss a bite if they short strike those jigs....Good luck out there

Yes...I almost never fish a jig without a stinger hook for wallys. I don't use bodies that much either unless I want to slow down the rise and fall rate and in that case I would go with a double tail. I have had good success with the Northlands Whistler jigs in the winter though.

nicemustang
01-21-2011, 01:15 PM
To the guys that are using stingers and jigs....not saying you shouldn't but adding an extra complexity to it that doesn't need to be there. If the bite is finicky and they are just clipping tails, adding a stinger might get you a few more hook sets but the amond of finicky fish turn away because they see a stinger is way more. In those situations you abandon the jig and go with a better presenation for finicky fish.

Plus, if you have a decent rod with a super fast tip and you're a good fisher. You should be feeling the "tug" and letting out line until you know for sure they're on. Some trial and error will be needed. Just my opinon on that.

Daceminnow
01-21-2011, 01:48 PM
x2. Walleye see blue as nothing (grey scale) so don't think that it's an attractant. Remember red is the first color to disappear in the water column, happens around 18 feet. So if your fishing deeper, orange, yellow or green is better. Glo or white does seem to work well, but in murky conditions. It wouldn't be my first choice on a clear lake.

Stang,

i got this info from an old timer bud of mine up north that produces jig heads for market. he uses a lot of blue paint. i own many different sizes and styles in straight blue and honestly have'nt had better luck on them over others. that being said my go to colors are two toned blue/chartreuse and blue/lime green with red eyes.

Dace.

nicemustang
01-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Stang,

i got this info from an old timer bud of mine up north that produces jig heads for market. he uses a lot of blue paint. i own many different sizes and styles in straight blue and honestly have'nt had better luck on them over others. that being said my go to colors are two toned blue/chartreuse and blue/lime green with red eyes.

Dace.

Well, you learn something new every day! I will add some blue stuff to my "collection" for the summer. Dace, you got any samples to share (or pics)?

Daceminnow
01-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Well, you learn something new every day! I will add some blue stuff to my "collection" for the summer. Dace, you got any samples to share (or pics)?

what style and weight of head do you like to use?

nicemustang
01-21-2011, 02:09 PM
1/4 oz gumball usually.

Daceminnow
01-21-2011, 02:13 PM
thats a canon ball!! i'll see what i can dig up.

nicemustang
01-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Only because that's the only name I know LOL. I like to use another style, but don't know what it's called. Kinda like this one:

http://www.peche-leurre-evolution.com/gfx_folders/1197744819370.jpg

Daceminnow
01-21-2011, 02:25 PM
we call that style a "walley head" should have something for you. i'll pm you later when i'm a little closer to the tickle trunk.

chubbdarter
01-21-2011, 02:28 PM
we use stingers often....when big wary eyes nose up to a bait and inhale without a forward strike movement.... most times the tail will swing into her mouth as its lighter.
when looking for big eyes your working for that 1-2 bites from mommas.
jigging raps, darters and most spoons with exposed hooks every where commit a bigger crime then stinger hooks.
lets be realistic we are jigging a minnow with a painted ball of lead stuck to its face....if that didnt tip the fish off...i doubt a stinger will.....in the case of the one pictured above...its bright pink...with blue eyes and a large eye welded to its forehead......presentation wins over lure choice most of the time

npauls
01-21-2011, 02:55 PM
That is why I try to throw as light as possible. Make the minnow look alot more natural. I don't use stingers at all and still seem to get the fish. Like mentioned before, if they are biting lite then you have to be quick on the ball and feed them some slack line until you know they have eaten the bait.

Me and Braun were out at PCR the other night and they kept short biting us so I started feeding them line and shortly after that we started landing fish.

Braun thought for sure we would have some dead fish due to inhaling the hooks deep but every fish we brought up had it right in the end of the snout.

I usually go to a glow jig in either white, orange, chartruese, or pink. I used my fish tank in the dark to see what they would look like under water in the dark with the smaller sizes on. They have a suttle red glow to the eyes of my favorite jig and when burried into the mouth of the minnow it just seems to have a bit of glow that I think helps to spark the attention of the walleyes.

Nate

whitetail Junkie
01-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Chris
Funny you mention blue as a blah color for walleyes. Since I was a kid and still do use for trolling a blue rapala with white belly. Catches walleye all the time and probably my most used trolling lure in my box.

x2,blue rapala's have been One of my weapons of choice,however comparing a blue jig to a blue rapala is redundant,because it's different styles of fishing.those blue lures are moving quick,and it's not so much only the color of the blue lure and the walleye seeing it,but more the walleye feeling it through the vibrations in the fishes lateral lines.

I cast rapalas in the pitch black in the middle of the night and catch walleye,because they pick up the vibrations of the lure through the water and they think its a small fish\big minnow and then they strike!!!

chubbdarter
01-21-2011, 03:03 PM
That is why I try to throw as light as possible. Make the minnow look alot more natural. I don't use stingers at all and still seem to get the fish. Like mentioned before, if they are biting lite then you have to be quick on the ball and feed them some slack line until you know they have eaten the bait.

Me and Braun were out at PCR the other night and they kept short biting us so I started feeding them line and shortly after that we started landing fish.

Braun thought for sure we would have some dead fish due to inhaling the hooks deep but every fish we brought up had it right in the end of the snout.

I usually go to a glow jig in either white, orange, chartruese, or pink. I used my fish tank in the dark to see what they would look like under water in the dark with the smaller sizes on. They have a suttle red glow to the eyes of my favorite jig and when burried into the mouth of the minnow it just seems to have a bit of glow that I think helps to spark the attention of the walleyes.

Nate

in my experience when big eyes under ice are tentative they rarely will run with a bait....they nibble and spit...no matter how carefull you are in drag resistant game.
a stinger makes it a quick strike rig.
smaller male walleyes are in flocks similar to poop hawks......we all know what a seagull does.

npauls
01-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Some of my bigger eyes caught in my life have been caught because I let them eat and run a bit with the bait. I am not saying it works all the time but have found for me that if they are short biting me I will try feeding them line and if that doesn't work I will downsize my jig even more.

I am just not a fan of stingers. I do have them in my arsenal just never use them.

Nate

nicemustang
01-21-2011, 03:14 PM
in my experience when big eyes under ice are tentative they rarely will run with a bait....they nibble and spit...no matter how carefull you are in drag resistant game.
a stinger makes it a quick strike rig.
smaller male walleyes are in flocks similar to poop hawks......we all know what a seagull does.

Sorry chubb, I think we are all referring to summer fishing out of the boat. (at least I am)

chubbdarter
01-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Sorry chubb, I think we are all referring to summer fishing out of the boat. (at least I am)

hahahahhhha getting old is a bugger.
i thought it was a jig under ice thread....not a rigging thread
someone call me a idiot again
sorry stang and npauls

Hunter Trav
01-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Not a pro by any means, but I've had the best luck downsizing the hook when the bite is finicky. Though I've never used a stinger, but have been tempted. If I was going to use one I would make it a #8 or #10 treble most likely. Maybe even smaller if they're being real picky...

nicemustang
01-21-2011, 04:50 PM
NP chubb....we're not calling you and idiot this time :)

horsetrader
01-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Have never used stinger hooks open water or ice fishing don't even have any.
I use pink jigs sometimes red if that don't work I go straight to black.
If i have eyes short biting or spiting the jig before I change colour I will go to a
floating jig with a shot they will pick it up and inhale with it be lighter
but I stick with the same colour because they were hitting it.

Kingfisher
01-21-2011, 07:11 PM
An interesting book on what colors fish actually see and why is called What Fish See.

http://img.amazon.ca/images/I/51BYH3VN57L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm not saying the book is 100% accurate. I have read it and think some of his ideas are just that, ideas. But hey it gives you some perspective as to what colors show up best in the water and at what depth. The guys who said chartreuse and orange show up best are bang on.

But having said that I use the glow in the dark one's for evening fishing and orange and chartreuse durring the daytime. It's a good idea to have a good selection of size and color so you can experiment and see what works best for that day. Trust me it can and will change from day to day.

Rob

PERCHY
01-21-2011, 07:59 PM
we use stingers often....when big wary eyes nose up to a bait and inhale without a forward strike movement.... most times the tail will swing into her mouth as its lighter.
when looking for big eyes your working for that 1-2 bites from mommas.
jigging raps, darters and most spoons with exposed hooks every where commit a bigger crime then stinger hooks.
lets be realistic we are jigging a minnow with a painted ball of lead stuck to its face....if that didnt tip the fish off...i doubt a stinger will.....in the case of the one pictured above...its bright pink...with blue eyes and a large eye welded to its forehead......presentation wins over lure choice most of the time

not only that but ive heard so often (and im inclined to believe) with a red treble hook on those stingers it looks like a sort of blood trail to the fish...but in the end you are right...its a painted leadball the stinger cant hurt..and it has nothing to do with your fishing abilities if you use one. IMO

Dust1n
01-21-2011, 08:44 PM
the stinger hooks i make are 6lb test perfect for the finicky walleye.dont buy em from the store when there like 50lb(exageration) when they dont need to be

Crusty
01-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Your always right Chubby.

chubbdarter
01-22-2011, 11:32 AM
sorry this kinda went sideways trapshooter.
rather than twister type tails i much perfer a fuzzy grub body especially the old power bait ones. the marabou tail gives a action that pulses in the water with little or no angler participation.
i bought them by the carton when i heard berkley was discontinuing production, if youd like to try some fuzzy grub bodies...pm me your addy i'll send you a couple dozens.
good luck

Dust1n
01-22-2011, 11:39 AM
An interesting book on what colors fish actually see and why is called What Fish See.

http://img.amazon.ca/images/I/51BYH3VN57L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm not saying the book is 100% accurate. I have read it and think some of his ideas are just that, ideas. But hey it gives you some perspective as to what colors show up best in the water and at what depth. The guys who said chartreuse and orange show up best are bang on.

But having said that I use the glow in the dark one's for evening fishing and orange and chartreuse durring the daytime. It's a good idea to have a good selection of size and color so you can experiment and see what works best for that day. Trust me it can and will change from day to day.

Rob

seen that at zellers read it and left it the other week after that it was gone:sign0176: