PDA

View Full Version : When will the floodwater stop? (Wab)

Geezle
01-21-2011, 07:22 AM
I was out on Wab again yesterday (surprise surprise!) and every time I go there, the flood water is deeper. I've been setting up pretty much on the same spot every time I go out, so I have a bit of a packed down 'island' of ice where I can set up and not worry about sinking out of sight in the slush. When I drill my holes, there's a layer of ice on top, then the water, then the main ice. I've been noticing this water layer getting deeper every time out. The water was roughly an inch deeper yesterday than it was on Tuesday.

So I know the warm weather we're getting isn't going to help things any, and with all the snow on the lake, it's looking like we're going to need quite the cold snap (and no more snow) before the lake starts to straighten out.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/012011_143700.jpg

linemanpete
01-21-2011, 08:26 AM
You been driving out there? I think that 4 of us may head out there on sunday if we bring shovels and the 4x4 think we'll be ok?

pikehunter1989
01-21-2011, 08:34 AM
You been driving out there? I think that 4 of us may head out there on sunday if we bring shovels and the 4x4 think we'll be ok?

You better have very strong shovels and good big tires. Knee deep snow with atleast 3 maybe 4 inches of slush under that. I wouldn't try it but you can get to the end of the peir probably.

Geezle
01-21-2011, 08:39 AM

Walk the extra 100 yards...it's a lot less work than trying to get your truck out of the slop. Seriously.

nicemustang
01-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Well I've never been on the lake...but it's pretty simple to understand flood water. It will continue to get worse the more weight is added on top. The warm weather should actually help this situation because of evaporation or even melting. But the more weight added on top (snow and water) the more the ice will sink and the more it floods. If there is as much snow as you guys say there is up there, I can't see much change in the lakes until mid feb.

mooseknuckle
01-21-2011, 09:52 AM
I don't see it getting any better for a while. If not good rubber boots I may invest in some snow shoes. It's just too good of lake to pass up due to a little extra water. I must say that was the first time ive every been in an ice tent with three grown men ringing out their socks and boot liners.

As far as driving out? Geezle hit it on the head save yourself the shovelling and just walk out you don't have to go far and that snow will be the heaviest snow you've ever shovelled!!

Slannesh
01-21-2011, 12:34 PM
You're getting off easy if you're only seeing three inches of water on Wab, found spots with nearly foot of water last weekend when we went out. It was a little disconcerting the first time I broke through suddenly dropping well over a foot but there was a good 20" of ice underneath the floodwater.

Anyhow, it's a brutal slog but was totally worth it with the fish we caught!

I'm hoping the warm weather melts a bit of the snow then we get a couple weeks of -30, windy with no snow to firm it all up ;)

Kim473
01-21-2011, 12:48 PM
You can allways hope for just a little more then you can use the 12ft alluminum and 10 hp motor. one foot of water is almost enough.

Slannesh
01-21-2011, 08:50 PM
You can allways hope for just a little more then you can use the 12ft alluminum and 10 hp motor. one foot of water is almost enough.

I hadn't thought of that!

Bring on the floodwater! ;)

Kingfisher
01-21-2011, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the laugh. That was priceless. http://bestsmileys.com/fishing/1.gif

Rob

Moults
01-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Agreed, I wouldn't dare try to take a truck out there, even if you have the best snow, mud, or water tires! Where I was, there was 2-3 feet of snow, then a foot of water, then 19-20" of ice.

I have a homemade collapsable shack that weighs about 150 pounds. Draggin that thing out for 500 yards, then goin back to get my fishin gear...that was the hardest damn slog I've ever had. Well worth it though! Who says fishin ain't an athletic sport!!!!:scared0018:

The_Pale_Rider
01-23-2011, 06:18 PM
It should probably be said that TransAlta is continually discharging water into the lake from its lake level treatment plant on the Sundance site. They have a yearly amount of water that they are required to make up to the lake due to the mine diverting water that would normally flow into it. I know this because I operate the plant and current flow through it is about 33,000 cubic meters a day.