PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Lake Report

Penner
01-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I haven't worked that hard to go fishing for several years. We parked on shore, geared-up, loaded up the tote, packed a hand auger, and did our best to pack only the essentials to try and lighten the load as much as possible and we headed out to the “spot”.

I figured it took us close to an hour to get out there. All though one couldn’t have asked for better ice fishing weather the snow, water, and slush, made it friggen brutal. Thankfully the foam boots and hot pockets held up and kept our feet warm and dry. Buddy and I knew we both needed some exercise but to put in that much effort without any reward albeit beneficial would have been very disappointing. Several times he shouted out to me while trying to catch his breath “there had better been a few fish down there to make this worth while or you’re buying dinner and beers”. Well I think we did just fine…

All that effort was well worth it at the end. The trip back to the pick-up later in the afternoon seemed almost effortless... well not really but at least we were smiling from ear to ear. Oh yeah best of all, I ended up drinking and eating for free. :acigar:

P.S. Man are my legs throbing this morning. I can hardly move.

Alberta Bigbore
01-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Some nice whites. Should make a bunch of good eating fish patties!!

buckmaster
01-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Awesome catch! How many fow were you Penner?

dragon
01-23-2011, 10:31 PM
I was out there all weekend. Tried to go fishing today and got 40 yds from shore pulling the tent behind the sled and said screw this... I would have kept goiing except I had my 3 year old and my 2 year old (3yr old behind the tent on a toboggan.

looks like its suppose to be warm all week...... flood water for atleast another weekend.

Penner
01-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Awesome catch! How many fow were you Penner?

On the edge of a break we jumped back and forth from hole to hole ranging from 8ft to 12ft. Sand bottom.

Rockymtnx
01-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Awesome catch Penner!

crazyperch
01-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Nice Haul.
i was out on Pigeon on saturday and only saw one fish all day.

Penner
01-24-2011, 12:43 PM
It's starting to slow down for Whites as we had a fair amount of refusals this time out. Around Christmas when I was out by myself I was catching (and releasing) 7-10 each outing by my lonesome. It took 2 of us to get a single limit this time. Based on my past experince this is about the norm. Another week or two and she'll be (as one guy always says) DEAD. It should begin to pick-up again in early March untill ice out.

Lots of Walleye's to be had.

DaveFish
01-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Nice catch, grats. Was out at Mulhurst yesterday, saw a school of 3 whites down my hole, but that's all.

BEL
01-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Penner would a quad pull the gear, etc. on Pigeon? BEL

steeleyes
01-24-2011, 06:14 PM
3 of us went to Mulhurst today. I saw one White first thing and that was it for the whole day. Only fish we saw.

brohymn2
01-24-2011, 06:16 PM
how's the flood water out there?, gonna go to the PP on wednesday maybe

mike780
01-24-2011, 07:29 PM
how's the flood water out there?, gonna go to the PP on wednesday maybe

4-6 inches wear your rubbers! guys in quads where having tuff time moving around.

Safety D
01-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Who says its always dead Penner? Who would say something like that? Nice fish bro. Your dialed in !!!!! Good for you. I will get my whites when the square hooks come out at the end of the month !!!!!

goober
01-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Looks like a great day dude!!!

SNAPFisher
01-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Nice catch man! Congrats!

Agreed that it really dies off soon. I haven't been out at all this year. Probably will not get out until Feb and then I'll be hunting burbs...maybe one trip to Sylvan for some small whites for smoking.

Have a great remaining season!

Cheers!