PDA

View Full Version : Crawling Valley Ice Fishing Derby. March 5/6

Kingfisher
01-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Here is a link to the information on the Crawling Valley Lake Derby http://bestsmileys.com/fishing/4.gif http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=4

Anyone planning on taking a run out there for the derby. We should get a bunch of AO members out there and have a blast for the weekend.

The information on there site says you can only fish in the southern 1 mile of the lake. This is OK as long as everyone abides to it.

Some good prizes for largest fish. Not sure how many people participate. But I'm sure there would be at least a dozen or so that show up. :lol:

Cash Prizes:
1st Largest Pike 25% of ticket sales
2nd Largest Pike 15%
3rd Largest Pike 10%
Largest Ling Cod $150
Junior Prizes:
1st Largest Pike $125
2nd Largest Pike $75
3rd Largest Pike $50

*Tickets available at: the boat launch & at weigh station (at centre ice ˝ mile north of dam).
* Fishing can only take place on SOUTH 1 MILE of Crawling Valley Lake.

Any one know exactally what they mean by this statement?
(No Party Fishing)

I am going to head out there for sure.
Any one else planning on making the trip?

Rob

Jimboy
01-24-2011, 04:05 AM
Here is a link to the information on the Crawling Valley Lake Derby http://bestsmileys.com/fishing/4.gif http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=4

Anyone planning on taking a run out there for the derby. We should get a bunch of AO members out there and have a blast for the weekend.

The information on there site says you can only fish in the southern 1 mile of the lake. This is OK as long as everyone abides to it.

Some good prizes for largest fish. Not sure how many people participate. But I'm sure there would be at least a dozen or so that show up. :lol:

Cash Prizes:
1st Largest Pike 25% of ticket sales
2nd Largest Pike 15%
3rd Largest Pike 10%
Largest Ling Cod $150
Junior Prizes:
1st Largest Pike $125
2nd Largest Pike $75
3rd Largest Pike $50

*Tickets available at: the boat launch & at weigh station (at centre ice ˝ mile north of dam).
* Fishing can only take place on SOUTH 1 MILE of Crawling Valley Lake.

Any one know exactally what they mean by this statement?

I am going to head out there for sure.
Any one else planning on making the trip?

Rob

YUP , means no party while yer fishin ,:sHa_sarcasticlol:

calgarygringo
01-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Rob
Do you mean we would have to get serious and sit and pay attention to our rods all day, little socializing and no story telling too.

WayneChristie
01-24-2011, 07:34 AM
your link doesnt work, how much are tickets?

calgarygringo
01-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Here you go. Link to the official poster for the derby.

http://www.bassano.ca/Documents/Fishing%20Derby%20Poster%202011.pdf

WayneChristie
01-24-2011, 07:41 AM
It should say all "people" fishing must have a derby ticket so it would be a bit less confusing to some. No Party fishing I assume means the same. Everyone in the group must have their own ticket

Kingfisher
01-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Here you go. Link to the official poster for the derby.

http://www.bassano.ca/Documents/Fishing%20Derby%20Poster%202011.pdf

Thanks for posting the proper link. I couldn't edit the first post or I would put in the right link.

Entry Fee:Adult $30.00 Junior Fee: $10.00
But they don't specify what the junior age is. I'll give them a call and see if I can find out.

calgarygringo Pay attention

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob
Do you mean we would have to get serious and sit and pay attention to our rods all day, little socializing and no story telling too.

Heck no. I doubt Jeff would be able to pay attention any more than he already does.

As for story telling. That goes hand in hand with fishing. You'll never stop that in a million years.

Rob

tacklerunner
01-24-2011, 03:40 PM
I went out last year on the Sunday at the spur of the moment because the weather was so nice. It was almost T-shirt weather. It was fun. Met a bunch of people; it was well organized; everybody was having fun and lots of prizes. I like that there's not a limited number of tickets and that the payout is a percentage. For a smaller derby, less than 100 people, the prizes were abundant.

I'll go again this year if I'm around.

Found my post from last year with the results:

1st 11 lb 1 oz $1300 or so
2nd 10 lbs or so $750 or so
3rd 6 lb 9 oz $500 or so

Big Burb 9 lb 7 oz I think $150

Can't believe 6 lb 9 oz was good for third.

Beautiful sunny 15 degrees when I got off the ice.

cujo1969
01-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Wish they would have 2 weigh stations to open up more of the lake for the derby. Its a good time will be there again this year.

harrydude
01-24-2011, 06:30 PM
are you allowed quads out on the lake?

tacklerunner
01-24-2011, 06:30 PM

Yes quads are allowed

chubbdarter
01-24-2011, 06:34 PM

only thing i can say is the wife and me have been checked twice on the lake....both times he was more iterested in our snowmobiles then our licences....he sat on it and i told him to take it for a rip.....he replied if i wasnt on duty i'd love too.

i think quads are ok

harrydude
01-24-2011, 06:39 PM
kool

makes it easier to get to the weigh station

calgarygringo
01-24-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't think you need much for transporting your fish as you can only fish within the first mile of the lake according to the brochure. that should not be far from anywhere in the fishing zone.

tacklerunner
01-24-2011, 07:36 PM
The weigh station is set up right in the middle so your never more than 1/2 mile away. So close you can hear the cheers when someone weighs a fish in. :)

trapshooter
01-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Will Be There!

jts1
01-24-2011, 09:31 PM
I will be in for sure IF I am not in Mexico. March 6th is my 1st year aniversary Wonder what the wife will say to this one....

Heck no. I doubt Jeff would be able to pay attention any more than he already does.

I am a people person what can I say. Lets get a team AOF out there I would be willing to donate any winnings to a good chairty for sure.

WayneChristie
01-24-2011, 09:39 PM
I am a people person what can I say. Lets get a team AOF out there I would be willing to donate any winnings to a good chairty for sure.

dont you have to catch a fish to win? :sHa_sarcasticlol: I already have my spot picked out, if I go. going to check it out next week

calgarygringo
01-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Make sure if you are checking out a spot to watch the distance limit. It is not very far up the lake.

jts1
01-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Wayne Wayne Wayne I will be down your way on the weekend dont forget Mr. Have you got the moonshine all ready to go. And the best fishn spot picked out or what.

WayneChristie
01-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Make sure if you are checking out a spot to watch the distance limit. It is not very far up the lake.

maybe that guy fishing in the parking lot had the right idea :sHa_sarcasticlol: think I will drop the camera in there and check it out, he probably outfished all of us!

calgarygringo
01-25-2011, 08:38 AM
You may be right on those guys in the boat parking lot but remember we also had fish run out lines, lost a bunch coming up the holes and missed bites while we were busy flapping our gums. I would bet that if we all sat on top of our rods all day we all would of had several more fish. That would have been nice but remember it really was a social event as well.

Jimboy
01-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Hi Gringo , got my truck back with good news , wasnt the tranny , no charge , so l,m going out to cv on thurs for a ride , and can go the weekend too , like to meet up with you pro fishermen sometime this season.

calgarygringo
01-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Have to work all week but the weekend may be open to go somewhere. No plans yet. What was the problem with the tranny? Forgot to put the fluid back in?

Jack&7
01-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Hey guys...

I am going to try and work it out so I can go to this one...it sounds like a good time. So tentatively count me in for Team AO!

WayneChristie
01-26-2011, 05:55 PM
I now have to work next Monday, was going to hit PCR Sunday but I think I will hit CVR again Sunday since its half the distance, check out a couple interesting spots I see on the map in the derby area.

calgarygringo
01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Let me know if you head out there. I amy go Sunday as well. Maybe meet up. I have been doing some computer work on the depth chart with gps co-ord.as well.

WayneChristie
01-26-2011, 06:38 PM
for sure. I want to stay later for burbs too but since I have to get up early Monday I will save PCR for one day next week instead

tacklerunner
01-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Hey guys...

I am going to try and work it out so I can go to this one...it sounds like a good time. So tentatively count me in for Team AO!

Good thing for you is that you don't have to pre-purchase tickets. Just drive up and go. So sounds like you and Jeff on Team AO so far. Just think, I was gonna invite you to my team.:sHa_sarcasticlol: Guess I'll have to see if Wayne wants to be my friend. :sad0125:

WayneChristie
01-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Todd if you bring that little curly haired pike bait Im in for sure!

tacklerunner
01-26-2011, 06:46 PM
If I'm there, she'll be there. Unless she gets hit by a car or poisoned or something

calgarygringo
01-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Wayne - Sunday just a daytime sneak away trip for me.

Kingfisher
02-04-2011, 02:00 AM
You guys going to head out on this Sunday? I think I might be able to fit a day of fishing in on Sunday. May as well get in a few days before the derby.

We have a month. But that will go by fast.

Rob

calgarygringo
02-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Rob
Sounds like a good possibility for me.
Keep in touch as I am pretty sure I can make it work. Looks like winter will be back by then as well so should be better than a slush bowl on the lake.

Weather forecast for Bassano.

Sunday Day
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/icons/standard/wx/45x45/06.gifMainly cloudy, breezy and colderHigh-11°CRealFeel®:-20°CView the Hour-By-Hour™ Forecast (http://www.accuweather.com/canada-forecast-hourly.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=T0J 0B0&metric=1)Winds:NE at 22Wind Gusts:30

Kingfisher
02-04-2011, 12:47 PM
-11 doesn't sound too bad actually. Nothing the propane heater can't keep up with and then it's not all slushy.

Rob

calgarygringo
02-04-2011, 01:12 PM
I agree I will take the frozen ice over wet slush anytime.
I have taken the depth chart and marked the fishing area for the derby and several potential interesting spots within the fishing limit.

Kingfisher
02-04-2011, 01:19 PM
I haven't even looked at a depth chart for there in quite a while. I'll have to look one up. Remember we can only fish the first mile from the boat launch. I'm sure there will be markers up. But not until the derby.

Rob

calgarygringo
02-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Took all that into consideration and did a few lines and markers with the software at home. I don't and usually fish further north on the west mostly but sometimes east islands. Most of the spots I have fished are north of derby distance so I thought I would do some measuring and check some spots.

WayneChristie
02-10-2011, 07:12 PM

bigbuck
02-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Took all that into consideration and did a few lines and markers with the software at home. I don't and usually fish further north on the west mostly but sometimes east islands. Most of the spots I have fished are north of derby distance so I thought I would do some measuring and check some spots.

Where exactly are the boundaries? Just 1 mile north of the ramp on both sides of the lake?

tacklerunner
02-11-2011, 06:25 PM
It's basically a straight line across the lake, shore to shore 1 mile north of south end. So not quite a mile north of the ramp (assume you mean the boat launch) as the ramp is not quite at the very south end. You are allowed to fish all water south of the "border".

The weigh shack, tickets sales and BBQ are roughly right in the middle of the allowed area so you're never really more than 1/2 mile away.

Chuckles32
02-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Just to clarify because I've read that it is held on the 5 th and 6 th of march, the actual date of the derby is the 2nd and 3rd of march and there is no bait ban at this derby! I spoke to one of the men who puts the tourney on and he asked me to clear that up! Good luck everyone!

WayneChristie
02-13-2013, 07:40 PM
that post was 2 years old, thats why the dates dont jive :bad_boys_20: