PDA

View Full Version : Bull trout

Dust1n
01-24-2011, 04:26 PM
new to FLY FISHING for bull trout in streams/rivers.....
if you gys got any tips for me/techques/flies/
i should use or locations thanks

Dust1n
pics of flies would help alot

nicemustang
Things that immitate minnows.

chubbdarter
01-24-2011, 04:28 PM
pics of flies would help alot

i dont know how to post pics....

Dust1n
01-24-2011, 04:46 PM
lol try and send it to someone who does

The Fisherman Guy
01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
You'll attract more flies with sugar, honey ;)

Bullies/Dollies are one of my favorite species to target. I have thrown almost everything at them in the store, barring sending a twenty dollar bill down as bait, I know what works in certain areas.

Look up what they like to eat preferably. Match the lure to their primary food source, and you're in business. This changes from each body of water to the next.

bubba 96
01-24-2011, 04:55 PM
I was talking to a co on sat, he was informing us that around june at lower k, if you use streamers you won't be able to keep em off your line....not a fly guy so thats all the info I can give..

Dust1n
01-24-2011, 05:00 PM
I was talking to a co on sat, he was informing us that around june at lower k, if you use streamers you won't be able to keep em off your line....not a fly guy so thats all the info I can give..

thanks you bubba or your butof info and thanks to everyone else

fishstix
01-24-2011, 08:30 PM
try the double bunny streamer. its easy to tie and it works. send me a pm if you want some tying instructions. i tie a black and white one that actually looks like my dog.
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad11/ryanb_71/flies/DSCF3159.jpg
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad11/ryanb_71/flies/DSCF3924.jpg

heres some old video of the db in action..http://www.youtube.com/user/rrrbbbtg?feature=mhum#p/u/23/Faux9suwIyU

fishstix..

Guitarplayingfish
01-24-2011, 09:03 PM
try the double bunny streamer. its easy to tie and it works. send me a pm if you want some tying instructions. i tie a black and white one that actually looks like my dog.
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad11/ryanb_71/flies/DSCF3159.jpg
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad11/ryanb_71/flies/DSCF3924.jpg

heres some old video of the db in action..http://www.youtube.com/user/rrrbbbtg?feature=mhum#p/u/23/Faux9suwIyU

fishstix..

Double bunny x2.... could you hook me up with that recipe fishstix? I just got a fly-tying kit for christmas =)

Epinez
01-25-2011, 06:49 PM
since we're talking about double bunnies. how long do you guys tie them? Most of the ones you can buy in the store locally are no longer than 3-4 inches. I tied a few this weekend that were 5-6 inches. I like that length because realistically I've seen bulls targeting fish up to 12-15 inches. My only worry is that more than have the hook (the rear end - where the strike will be) has no hook, even with a long streamer hook. I know in a lot of cases, a 6 inch fly is pretty small and the bull is going to take the whole thing right away - but just thought I'd post here and see what everybody else ties them to... I guess I could tie them with the hook in the rear (articulated?) but I like tying them traditional with a standard hook. On that note, do you have luck getting the bigger guys with smaller bunnies..?

Dust1n
01-25-2011, 07:47 PM
since we're talking about double bunnies. how long do you guys tie them? Most of the ones you can buy in the store locally are no longer than 3-4 inches. I tied a few this weekend that were 5-6 inches. I like that length because realistically I've seen bulls targeting fish up to 12-15 inches. My only worry is that more than have the hook (the rear end - where the strike will be) has no hook, even with a long streamer hook. I know in a lot of cases, a 6 inch fly is pretty small and the bull is going to take the whole thing right away - but just thought I'd post here and see what everybody else ties them to... I guess I could tie them with the hook in the rear (articulated?) but I like tying them traditional with a standard hook. On that note, do you have luck getting the bigger guys with smaller bunnies..?

i tie 12 inch pike flies on a 12wt rod for sylvan lake pike and in the fall i up that szie in crankbaits t0 18 inches in whitefish color(black and white) and troll the flats kinda off topc lol

greylynx
01-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Clouser minnows

Dust1n
01-25-2011, 09:37 PM
kk thanks do you know any good places to fish?

Logan
01-25-2011, 09:51 PM
The open water at Lower K actually is pretty good this time of year, every time I head there I always try to hit up the open water for a few casts. Sometimes it works great sometimes nothing.

duffy4
01-26-2011, 09:10 AM
I believe that when one has a "favourite" fly, then one will fish it more often and will then catch more fish on it and it will be their "favourite" fly.

One of my favourites is the old "muddler minnow". I fish it a lot and it has been good to me for Bull trout.

Beerfish
01-26-2011, 09:16 AM
I believe that when one has a "favourite" fly, then one will fish it more often and will then catch more fish on it and it will be their "favourite" fly.

One of my favourites is the old "muddler minnow". I fish it a lot and it has been good to me for Bull trout.

Bull trout? Don't you mean Dolly Varden? (And no my names not Kenny.)

Pudelpointer
01-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Bull Trout and Dolly Varden are genetically different species.

Heron
01-26-2011, 10:18 AM

I like the 5-6" streamers too. I make mine with a stinger hook in the back.

hunter49
01-26-2011, 10:45 AM
i tie 12 inch pike flies on a 12wt rod for sylvan lake pike and in the fall i up that szie in crankbaits t0 18 inches in whitefish color(black and white) and troll the flats kinda off topc lol

WOW! 18 inch crankbaits! Where did you buy them?

Dust1n
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
white elephant in spokan and theres lots of people who handcraft baits like me....get some dried pine and carve it yourself.

Dust1n
01-26-2011, 11:38 AM
if someone could PM me some places to try that would be great. (i dont care how much of a drive and dont mind walking a bit just wanna catch one)
thanks

chubbdarter
01-26-2011, 12:38 PM
white elephant in spokan and theres lots of people who handcraft baits like me....get some dried pine and carve it yourself.

post some pics of your hand crafted lures...................oh never mind..lol

diamonddave
01-26-2011, 12:50 PM
if someone could PM me some places to try that would be great. (i dont care how much of a drive and dont mind walking a bit just wanna catch one)
thanks

Fernie, B.C

Dust1n
01-26-2011, 01:05 PM
were at fernie?

chubbdarter
01-26-2011, 01:09 PM
were at fernie?

in the river that runs thru fernie
also try
kootenay lake
columbia river
arrow lakes
kinbasket
duncan res.
flathead river

honda450
01-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Dang ya don't have to go to BC to catch bull trout. They are pretty much in ever river and small stream on the eastern slopes in Aberta from Montana to Banff. They lurk in the deeper holes waiting. Sometimes ya may catch a little cuttie and out of the deep comes the shark who wants it more than you. hehe

chubbdarter
01-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Dang ya don't have to go to BC to catch bull trout. They are pretty much in ever river and small stream on the eastern slopes in Aberta from Montana to Banff. They lurk in the deeper holes waiting. Sometimes ya may catch a little cuttie and out of the deep comes the shark who wants it more than you. hehe

not saying alberta doesnt provide the chance for a big bull....but if he is chucking a 18 inch crankbait he best be in BC looking for 30lb bull.

honda450
01-26-2011, 01:53 PM
not saying alberta doesnt provide the chance for a big bull....but if he is chucking a 18 inch crankbait he best be in BC looking for 30lb bull.

Well when ya do catch this so called 30 lb bull send me a pic.:snapoutofit:

chubbdarter
01-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Well when ya do catch this so called 30 lb bull send me a pic.:snapoutofit:

well im not saying he will catch one.....but its you that needs to snap out of it if you dont think 30lb bullies exsist in B.C.

honda450
01-26-2011, 02:46 PM
well im not saying he will catch one.....but its you that needs to snap out of it if you dont think 30lb bullies exsist in B.C.

So does the ogopogo monster. hehe:bad_boys_20:

Dust1n
01-26-2011, 07:42 PM
whats with the sarcasm? havent you seen you seen your big cuttys being chased by bullys i know this old guy who fishes all year with 18 inch streamers heavey weighted on a 12wt and only ctches a couple big bulls a year.....his biggest is about 25lbs in kootany lake and alberta his biggest is 16lbs and trust me you guys estamanent fish to givivngly and a 16lb fish is alot bigger then youd think....it tells you alot how people decicate there lives just to catch a few trout a year.hes retired so he has all the time on his hands

chubbdarter
01-26-2011, 07:47 PM
whats with the sarcasm? havent you seen you seen your big cuttys being chased by bullys i know this old guy who fishes all year with 18 inch streamers heavey weighted on a 12wt and only ctches a couple big bulls a year.....his biggest is about 25lbs in kootany lake and alberta his biggest is 16lbs and trust me you guys estamanent fish to givivngly and a 16lb fish is alot bigger then youd think....it tells you alot how people decicate there lives just to catch a few trout a year.hes retired so he has all the time on his hands

im not sure if your talking to me or not.... because im completely lost after reading your post.

Dust1n
01-26-2011, 07:52 PM
im not sure if your talking to me or not.... because im completely lost after reading your post.

no the honda gy hows he said theres gona be an ogopogo in that lakes or whatever and how he doubts of trophy bulls in BC idk mabe he hasnt seen guided pics of bull trout

chubbdarter
01-26-2011, 07:58 PM
no the honda gy hows he said theres gona be an ogopogo in that lakes or whatever and how he doubts of trophy bulls in BC idk mabe he hasnt seen guided pics of bull trout

understood.........enough B.C. Bud and everyone see's ogopogo

Erik
01-26-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm wondering why people suggest using a 12 wt for bulls. That is seriously overweighted, even for a 30lb bull. A 12 wt is a Tarpon rod. Most 12wts are sal****er specific. My personal feeling is that using an overweighted rod shows a deficiency in landing skill. It reminds me of weekend warrior fishermen who think that the fishes weight must be matched to the test of line. A 9 wt should be sufficient for trout over 15lbs. I use an 8 wt for Bulls. Both Jasper Park and the Athabasca drainage up along the eastern slopes have some nice fish.

chubbdarter
01-26-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm wondering why people suggest using a 12 wt for bulls. That is seriously overweighted, even for a 30lb bull. A 12 wt is a Tarpon rod. Most 12wts are sal****er specific. My personal feeling is that using an overweighted rod shows a deficiency in landing skill. It reminds me of weekend warrior fishermen who think that the fishes weight must be matched to the test of line. A 9 wt should be sufficient for trout over 15lbs. I use an 8 wt for Bulls. Both Jasper Park and the Athabasca drainage up along the eastern slopes have some nice fish.

the wgt. isnt only for fighting fish.....its for the power to chuck and duck what your casting.
you can land 15 lb fish on ultralite.....but hucking large baits on a ultra lite is tough.
i tie flies on 6 inches of hollow pencil lead.....when that whistles by your ear....your happy you aint chucking and ducking with a 8wgt.

gprime27
01-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Used to live on the elk river. seen PLENTY of 30 pound fish in there. SPecially in kootney lake

chubbdarter
01-26-2011, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE=Erik;814480]I'm wondering why people suggest using a 12 wt for bulls. That is seriously overweighted, even for a 30lb bull. A 12 wt is a Tarpon rod. Most 12wts are sal****er specific. My personal feeling is that using an overweighted rod shows a deficiency in landing skill. It reminds me of weekend warrior fishermen who think that the fishes weight must be matched to the test of line.

seeing as you are making personal judgements ......i'll be bold enough to say youve never chucked huge heavy flies and caught Bull Trout over 25lbs.

Dust1n
01-26-2011, 08:35 PM
ya theres lots but it takes more thenjust a fly to entice a strike....its presenatation

goldscud
01-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Wow, the world record bull trout is 32lb (from 1949) and there is lots more around. I imagine the world record should be smashed repeatedly this summer.

chubbdarter
01-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Wow, the world record bull trout is 32lb (from 1949) and there is lots more around. I imagine the world record should be smashed repeatedly this summer.

ive seen the Bull Trout record get broken 3 times in one spring season.....twice by one guy!!!!!!!!!!
Dont assume everyone needs their name on a certificate to be someone.
Some oldtimers would just rather you never come fish their home waters

Dust1n
01-26-2011, 09:19 PM
ya i seen a guy fishing at sylvan and it looked like he caught a muskie it was realy siverish and was about 5 fee long and was just huge he said it was about 40-42 lbs i got pics....if anyone wanna put them up i got em btw the person is my cousin so i wont say his name in this case...the location on the boat was at the sylvan lake lighouse for a refreance

Erik
01-26-2011, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=Erik;814480]I'm wondering why people suggest using a 12 wt for bulls. That is seriously overweighted, even for a 30lb bull. A 12 wt is a Tarpon rod. Most 12wts are sal****er specific. My personal feeling is that using an overweighted rod shows a deficiency in landing skill. It reminds me of weekend warrior fishermen who think that the fishes weight must be matched to the test of line.

seeing as you are making personal judgements ......i'll be bold enough to say youve never chucked huge heavy flies and caught Bull Trout over 25lbs.

I've caught plenty of fish over 25 lbs, but you are correct that I've not yet landed a bull in that region. I do chuck big flies, particularly clousers, and I use an 8 or 9 wt to do most of that. I don't find that I need a heavier wt to do so. I have even chucked salt water flies (very similar to clousers) to cohos and pinks on a 6 wt and didn't find it detrimental to my casts, though I had the aide of trolling as well.

If you wish to use a 12 wt go ahead, but I don't use one myself, nor do I recommend using that weight of rod to a newbie. I find my 8 and 9 wts to be quite sufficient for casting large flies. They are both fast action rods. Perhaps you own a TFO?

chubbdarter
01-26-2011, 11:38 PM
[QUOTE=chubbdarter;814520]

I've caught plenty of fish over 25 lbs, but you are correct that I've not yet landed a bull in that region. I do chuck big flies, particularly clousers, and I use an 8 or 9 wt to do most of that. I don't find that I need a heavier wt to do so. I have even chucked salt water flies (very similar to clousers) to cohos and pinks on a 6 wt and didn't find it detrimental to my casts, though I had the aide of trolling as well.

If you wish to use a 12 wt go ahead, but I don't use one myself, nor do I recommend using that weight of rod to a newbie. I find my 8 and 9 wts to be quite sufficient for casting large flies. They are both fast action rods. Perhaps you own a TFO?

well if your comparing a clouser to a pencil lead fly with 10 inches of polar bear hair.........
nope im a g-loomis guy and wasnt recommending anything to newbie.....its you thats suggesting someone chuck a fly as big as chicken with a 8 wgt

thanks for calling

fishstix
01-27-2011, 05:44 AM
[QUOTE=Erik;814738]

well if your comparing a clouser to a pencil lead fly with 10 inches of polar bear hair.........
nope im a g-loomis guy and wasnt recommending anything to newbie.....its you thats suggesting someone chuck a fly as big as chicken with a 8 wgt

thanks for calling
I guess you can change your number to five now...

matt1984
01-27-2011, 07:48 AM
haha make that 6, a 12 weight is overkill

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 07:56 AM
it also depends the action of the fly rod a10weight slow would be like csting a 6/7fast

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 09:46 AM
how is a 6wt enough to chuck 1 once weaghted flies ?

chubbdarter
01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
hahahahhahhaa 2 more fluffers that have never thrown anything bigger than a double bunny or caught a fish bigger than a clouser minnow.

i changed the number for you both.....lol

walking buffalo
01-27-2011, 11:20 AM

Get some Bass Wood for carving baits. ;) Specialty wood suppliers will have it in rough cut boards.

A 10" floating popper

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/PIC_0035.jpg

This one is weighted for neutral buoyancy and balance. Dives to four or five feet and will stay there even when kept motionless. 8" long.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/PIC_0032.jpg

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 11:41 AM
ya kinda like those i like mine flat long and skinny in natural colors like what u did

greylynx
01-27-2011, 04:33 PM

Talk about getting you axx chewed out. Sort of like at work.

matt1984
01-27-2011, 04:49 PM
hahahahhahhaa 2 more fluffers that have never thrown anything bigger than a double bunny or caught a fish bigger than a clouser minnow.

i changed the number for you both.....lol

Its called "Chuck and Duck". Throwing giant streamers isn't going to be pretty, and it won't be regardless of rod weight. 30+ inch bull trout are commonly caught on 6-8 weights with double bunny's :snapoutofit:

chubbdarter
01-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Its called "Chuck and Duck". Throwing giant streamers isn't going to be pretty, and it won't be regardless of rod weight. 30+ inch bull trout are commonly caught on 6-8 weights with double bunny's :snapoutofit:

i not talking about 'streamers' im talking about hair on hollow core pencil lead.
ive already mentioned chuck and duck...i dont need your explaination.
and yes it does make a difference..regardless of what your assummig because im confident youve never fished this technique.
who said anything about 30 INCH bull trout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im done with this topic.
good luck fishing

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 05:06 PM
there commonly caught on 6-8 weig because thats what most people use and they probibly use smaller sized flies and ebing as grresive as a bully they eat em im just saying its better to use a bigger wt fly rod and bigger streamers for targeting bigger bulls...and there probibly not hardcore into it iv only fished a couple times for em on a fly rod but i have caugt alot of em on the ugly stick....:argue2:

BiggDirty
01-27-2011, 05:19 PM
12 wt for bulltrout???? Overrrrrkill. A majority of the time you don't even need to make huge casts for them anyways, its more dangling & dancing your fly to induce a take.

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 05:50 PM
hes a retired man and only chases bigg bull trout and only catches a few a year but there huge when you use huge streamer not the 6-8 inch ones but like 16 inch or whatever with big weights youll easly snap your rod by throwing em and if u dont im sure youll damage it if you hit the blank....i doonno my guess is hes probibly beat the alberta recored for bulls

matt1984
01-27-2011, 06:01 PM
How heavy are these "pencil Lead Flys"? I tie streamers onto jig heads for really deep fast waters. Are the pencil leads that much heavier?

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 06:11 PM
sarcasm? tungsten barbell eyes or cone heads with added weigth and type 10 clouser line sinking what i have on my rod it takes backbone to move this line about

fishstix
01-28-2011, 05:43 AM
I use my 6 weight. Caught a 26 inch bull with no problem...on a double bunny to boot. I dont think you need much more than that, a six weight that is. An eight weigt would be easier to cast but i prefer the six.

Dust1n
01-28-2011, 07:46 AM
ya but those dont weight a ton either my biggest (only) bull is outa lower K it was 30 inches 8lbs about 8lbs mabe a bit more....had my ugly stick bend right over and taking line

Ls6_rx7
03-12-2011, 01:20 AM
The best way to find a good place to hook up to some bullys is to head out away from all the hype areas and find spots where they will migrate in season on a map. Toss in a big cutty streamer ( white and flash ) plus more in thefly obviouslly but you will be in business. Make sure you have decent rate sink tip with you because you can spotthem crusing the bottoms and drop offs in deep pools and ledges. Who's to say what river is best I have had many days of slow fishing at different locations. Like I said though. Head to wholesale and pick up a southwest Alberta back road / trail map and try out different areas in different seasons. Good luck in 2011 bro!

Dust1n
03-12-2011, 08:17 AM
alright thanks and welcome to the forum :)

timtookalook
03-24-2011, 08:46 AM

if you us a wolly bugger or leech in the columbia river in golden bc works i use size 8 rod with a wf sink tip happy fishing

Sundancefisher
03-24-2011, 09:33 AM
new to FLY FISHING for bull trout in streams/rivers.....
if you gys got any tips for me/techques/flies/
i should use or locations thanks

I have caught larger bulls on stonefly nymphs and streamers and even stimulators.

Smaller bulls on stimulators, prince nymphs, royal coachmen, royal wulff, irresitibles.

Depends on the water

Dust1n
03-24-2011, 08:40 PM
if you us a wolly bugger or leech in the columbia river in golden bc works i use size 8 rod with a wf sink tip happy fishing

how deep of water? and do u wade out?

fishstalker
03-24-2011, 10:20 PM
yea lots of flies work...
my personal favorite fly for trouts is the wolly buggar any color works good. When fishing dark water use a bright fly, as he fish hit the movement and flash. When fishing light water use a dark one so it looks like a minnow or a leech.

brendan85
03-25-2011, 01:39 AM
the river that runs through fernie is the elk.. there are some monsters in there.. we have had nothing but luck with white streamers..

brendan85
03-25-2011, 01:52 AM
Used to live on the elk river. seen PLENTY of 30 pound fish in there. SPecially in kootney lake

where along the elk did you live? i too lived around there... miss it.. and yes, i totally agree with the 30lb bullies there.. i have uncles who claim theyve got em before.. ive personally seen them with bullies around the low 20s.. ive never caught any of those monsters but i have seen it..

ps the ogopogo is no where near the kootenays.. its in the okanagan ;)

also.. i wouldnt be too fast to start talking about what fly rod is overkill and which isnt for bull trout in those areas.. you get a big fish on those fast white water rapids... hang on!!! i had one that was nowhere near 30 lbs.. or even 20 for that matter and it had my medium-heavy baitcast setup working pretty hard..