PDA

View Full Version : suckers?

albertaburbotking
01-24-2011, 04:41 PM
was out at chain this weekend fished both days hard used lots of different baits power bait worms shrimp almost everything you could think of to try to get suckers lots of little rainbows but no suckers i was just woundering does anyone no a good place to go catch them cause chain lakes is dead for suckers talked to a fish cop out there he said there almost all out of chain not many there to catch so if anyone knows where a guy could go get some i would really apreceate the input thanks alot and good luck this winter to all.

iliketrout
01-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Phyllis had a bunch last time I was there.

gui
01-24-2011, 04:51 PM
cow lakes by rocky has lots, red deer river has lots, dickson dam i heard has some

hacman
01-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Beauvais still has suckers. Tried out my new Fish TV this past Saturday and saw lots on camera. Lots of suckers and rainbows as well as the odd brown trout. They were biting on shrimp this time out. The two suckers I iced were 12 inches. Trout were biting all afternoon but very lightly.

kinwahkly
01-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Dikson dam has quite a few of them, target closer to shore and near bottom with a worm and you will catch lots, they arent that big.

SwampShark
01-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Why are you targeting suckers - if you don't mind me asking?

Years ago they were easily caught in the summer in the deep weedy areas of Carson between the launches. Use worms.

I once caught a sucker with my bare hands in Goldeye Lake near Nordegg :sHa_shakeshout:

Dust1n
01-24-2011, 05:36 PM
dickson dam i snagged like 10 suckers with s x rad shad rap pink

ssyd
01-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Why are you targeting suckers - if you don't mind me asking?

Years ago they were easily caught in the summer in the deep weedy areas of Carson between the launches. Use worms.

I once caught a sucker with my bare hands in Goldeye Lake near Nordegg :sHa_shakeshout:

They call burbot "poor man's lobster." My buddies call burbot suckers, not sure if you're referring to something else. I caught some chunky redhorse suckers in the river this summer but to the best of my knowledge they stick to the rivers.

savage7mm
01-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Isnt that what they call pike, or are the both called that, i could be wrong though. Pike is so good boiled in salt water, it actually tastes a bit like lobster. Ive never had burbot though

chubbdarter
01-24-2011, 08:25 PM
was out at chain this weekend fished both days hard used lots of different baits power bait worms shrimp almost everything you could think of to try to get suckers lots of little rainbows but no suckers i was just woundering does anyone no a good place to go catch them cause chain lakes is dead for suckers talked to a fish cop out there he said there almost all out of chain not many there to catch so if anyone knows where a guy could go get some i would really apreceate the input thanks alot and good luck this winter to all.

thats bad news.............im gonna try it this week......whats this province become when a guy cant catch suckers anymore.

Lethbridge_1
01-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Caught a lot of white suckers on the west side of Beauvais Lake, they're about 8-12 inches long. Just fish a little worm on a hook over some weeds in about 6' of water and you'll be into them.

FANTASTIC tip-up fodder for large pike!

FisherKing
01-24-2011, 08:35 PM
burbot is fresh water cod, they are great eating sucker fish are fun to snag and the chinese make a sucker fish soup which is supposed to be good too:sHa_shakeshout:

chubbdarter
01-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Caught a lot of white suckers on the west side of Beauvais Lake, they're about 8-12 inches long. Just fish a little worm on a hook over some weeds in about 6' of water and you'll be into them.

FANTASTIC tip-up fodder for large pike!

thanks for the tip..im lookng for suckers in the 4-6 inch range.

cujo1969
01-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Hard to believe they are gone from chain lakes, Use worms close to the bottom to catch them

jts1
01-24-2011, 11:43 PM
thanks for the tip..im lookng for suckers in the 4-6 inch range.

Bait I take it...

Daceminnow
01-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Hard to believe they are gone from chain lakes, Use worms close to the bottom to catch them

X2. the fur and feathers are telling stories again. plenty in there still.worms.

Geezle
01-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Bait I take it...

Makes sense...I've seen sucker minnows in the freezers at WSS a few times.

SwampShark
01-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Bait I take it...

Yes. I figured the same thing based on the small size targeted. Might as well have some fun catching your bait too I guess.

albertaburbotking's bait is the size of most of the perch reports :rolleyes:

jts1
01-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Are there no regs on catching bait from one lake and useing them in another "IF THIS IS THE CASE"

chubbdarter
01-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Are there no regs on catching bait from one lake and useing them in another "IF THIS IS THE CASE"

i dont see anything on page 22 of the regs

Lethbridge_1
01-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Fishing with Bait FishBait Fish means any of the following:

suckers (family Catostomidae)
sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae)
trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile)
minnows (family Cyprinidae), except carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow.
Note: Pet store fish (tropical fish) or crayfish cannot be used as bait fish.

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.
NOTE: Smelts and herring are of the sal****er families Osmeridae and Clupeidae. Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait.

Parts of Game Fish. Only the skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used as bait, provided these fish were lawfully caught by angling. Skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used where the use of bait fish is prohibited, but cannot be used where bait bans are in effect. All game fish kept must be counted in the daily catch limit, including any fish from which parts are used for bait.

Collecting Bait FishCatching bait fish (such as suckers) by angling, bowfishing or spearfishing is allowed from all waters open to fishing with these methods, even at waters where the collection of bait fish by other means is prohibited. Anglers may collect their own bait fish by minnow trap, dip net and seine net, but these fish must not be sold. The commercial collection of bait fish requires a Commercial Bait Fishing Licence. The following regulations apply to the collection of bait fish for personal use as bait:

The collection of bait fish is not permitted in waters having a bait ban or restriction on the use of bait fish, and in some other specified waters (see each Fish Management Zone for regulations).
The possession of live bait fish is prohibited. All bait fish kept must be killed immediately. Please do not kill more than needed because bait fish are important food for many sport fish.
Fish other than bait fish must be immediately released unharmed. Game fish such as perch must not be kept.
Seine nets may not be larger than 3 m in length and 2 m in depth.
Minnow traps may not have dimensions greater than 60 cm in length by 30 cm in width, depth or diameter.
No more than 2 minnow traps may be used at one time.
Minnow traps must bear the operator’s name, address and Sportfishing Licence number.
Crayfish cannot be used as bait. It is unlawful to possess live crayfish.

jts1
01-25-2011, 09:50 PM
That answers that. Thank you.

chubbdarter
01-25-2011, 09:53 PM

after reading it more carefully i dont think we are allowed to catch suckers for bait from Chain lakes though

page 8...the harvest of species other than trout from stocked trout waters is not permitted

The collection of bait fish is not permitted in waters having a bait ban or restriction on the use of bait fish, and in some other specified waters

page 26 of the regs say.

fishing with bait fish(dead) is NOT allowed in ES1 except at the following locations
paine lake
ghost res.
lees lake
pine coulee

Lethbridge_1
01-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Chubb, you are right! I did not know before but do now...you are NOT allowed to keep fish other than trout from stocked lakes listed under the table in ES1. Good to know!

Daceminnow
01-25-2011, 10:03 PM

so if the fish cops figure "they're all gone" where they go? darn seagulls.

chubbdarter
01-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Chubb, you are right! I did not know before but do now...you are NOT allowed to keep fish other than trout from stocked lakes listed under the table in ES1. Good to know!

so really that means if you catch a sucker you must release it

if the definition of harvest means kill the sucker are catch and release

i wonder why...lees lake and paine lake are exempt from the ban?

hacman
01-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Paine is supposed to have burbot in the lake so that could be why. Never seen or caught one while fishing there though.

AK47
01-26-2011, 02:00 PM
after reading it more carefully i dont think we are allowed to catch suckers for bait from Chain lakes though

page 8...the harvest of species other than trout from stocked trout waters is not permitted

I wonder if they have "game fish species" in mind. It would be interesting to find out for sure. I could be fined for taking suckers home from there numerous times then...:scared:

chubbdarter
01-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I wonder if they have "game fish species" in mind. It would be interesting to find out for sure. I could be fined for taking suckers home from there numerous times then...:scared:

i want to publically state ive never done a illegal act......lol

Mark
01-27-2011, 01:32 PM
If after the big debate you still want to catch some sucker, try Dickson Trout Pond. Last time I was there it was 50/50.

chubbdarter
01-27-2011, 01:39 PM
If after the big debate you still want to catch some sucker, try Dickson Trout Pond. Last time I was there it was 50/50.

dickson is classified as a stocked body of water.....so as i understand it we cant harvest suckers there.
it does give a exception to keep pike on page 34 but nothing else

hahhhahahah who'd a thunk