PDA

View Full Version : Help with Cardiff Pond

bowhunter79
01-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Hello,
I've tired this pond several times in the last week and get skunked everytime not even a bite. I've been drilling where others are drilling but getting nothing. Can anyone give me some guidance on what and where to fish for either perch or rainbows. Just trying to get the little one interested and losing that battle right now.

Thanks

Dust1n
01-25-2011, 09:41 PM
winter kill is a big possiblity

huntin'fool
01-26-2011, 09:24 AM
winter kill is a big possiblity

........at over 70 feet deep on the east side of the island, I don't believe winterkill as a possibility. It's never winterkilled to my knowledge.

Bowhunter, walk down to the dock. Look at the island. Walk to the left point of the island. From there, there is a sand bar that runs all the way to the north shore where the point forms into the narrows. Fish on the west side of the sand bar. It drops to about 5-8 feet deep and the schools of perch are all over rainbows too. If not, fish on the east side of the sandbar and you will find yourself in close to 40 feet of water.

nicemustang
01-26-2011, 10:11 AM
I find it funny that as soon a one can't catch any fish, peopl assume winterkill. Not all trout ponds winterkill, very few do. But LOW oxygen levels really make fish hibernate and go pretty dormint for most of the long winter months.

thorne
01-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

thorne
01-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Morinville has lots of perch in 10 feet of water in the West end lots of fun for kids, C & R only though, but fun!! Much bigger then Hasse as well.

Happy hunter
01-26-2011, 10:56 AM
I fish just to the left of the island in the narrows. their is about 10-25 feet of water. Perch and Trout are coming in at all times of the day. How ever it does get slow from about 1:00 -3:30. i use a green,red and yellow teardrop tiped with red maggot. hover about 12" off the lake floor put some action on it time to time. I even Jig up to the top of my hole and slowly go back down. It has been slow this year but i have not been skunked yet. Last year it was not uncommon to get 30- 60 fish a day. we have caught perch up to 13''. i hope this helps i love this pond for a day trip that is close and fun for the little ones.