PDA

View Full Version : Three NICE brookies this week :)

gprime27
01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
and three little perch and we keep them for chowder!

JJRND
01-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Good job! Looks like Nicholas Sheran?

fishingrocks
01-26-2011, 08:30 PM
wow where was this at, thos are some nice brookies.

gprime27
01-26-2011, 08:30 PM
No way never ;).. I figured out those dang brookies and brown trout FINALLY in there.

No more finiky eaters now ;)

gprime27
01-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Good job! Looks like Nicholas Sheran?

You win a prize? maybe not :) but yea.. nicholas sheran

npauls
01-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Good to see the fatties are roaming around and eating in there. I may end up out there one day this weekend. I will be in a single man blue clam flip over. If you see me stop by and say hi.

Nate

JJRND
01-26-2011, 09:16 PM
No way never ;).. I figured out those dang brookies and brown trout FINALLY in there.

No more finiky eaters now ;)

I couldn't seem to figure any of the fish out last time I was there. I'm impressed. I'd be even more impressed if you figured out the pike in there as well! It seems they won't bite anything you throw at them.

gprime27
01-26-2011, 09:20 PM
yea those big pike are being finiky. got two of them on a countdown rap. Not the jigging ones.. literally the silver sinker.. BUT they won't bite if there's a silver leader on it..

gprime27
01-26-2011, 09:21 PM
I'll be there sat morning :) bright and early

npauls
01-26-2011, 09:36 PM
I may see you out there then. I will probably just have my little blue sled with a black box in it with a seat mounted on top since it will be super nice and I probably shouldn't lift anything heavy just yet. I will be wearing my green and black arctic armour suit and probably testing out a cordless drill auger.

Nate

gprime27
01-26-2011, 09:37 PM
see you then

Guitarplayingfish
01-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Nice brooks. There are some pigs in there.

gprime27
01-26-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm hoping I can pull out a brown out of there now with the trick I figured out.. here's to hoping..

Alberta Bigbore
01-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Some nice colors !!

JJRND
01-26-2011, 10:02 PM
What were you using for bait? Or was it part of the trick you figured out?

gprime27
01-26-2011, 10:07 PM
I wasn't using bait. there's the starter.. I'm not saying.. you know what I caught the first one on was a white jig .. I'll say that.. :)

chubbdarter
01-26-2011, 10:16 PM
so its legal to harvest perch from this body of water stocked with trout?

nice brookies.....very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gprime27
01-26-2011, 10:29 PM
I questioned it when I brought them up and a guy told me that it was good to keep. He informed me "he was informed from the C.O"

npauls
01-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Ya darter it is legal. It isn't a bucket brigade style stocking of those perch. They have been in there since they started pumping water. I think the no keep rule for perch applies to the lakes that are known to be bucket stocked only.

nate

gprime27
01-26-2011, 10:38 PM
This is what I based this off of to keep them:

It states this:

Water bodies appearing below are open all year with a trout limit of five. The harvest of species other than trout from stocked
trout waters is not permitted.

Watershed Unit PP1
Bow City East Ponds - (15-17-17-W4)
Cavan Lake - (30-11-3-W4)
Echo Dale Regional Park Pond - (5-13-6-W4)
Emerson Pond - (5-19-28-W4)
Enchant Pond - (8-14-18-W4)
Foremost Reservoir - (17-6-11-W4)
Goldspring Park Pond - (6-2-15-W4)
Heningers Reservoir - (9-3-12-W4)
Keenex Coulee Reservoir - (10-11-24-W4)
McQuillan Reservoir - (13-8-19-W4)
McVinnie Reservoir - (33-12-21-W4)
Michel (Michelle) Reservoir - (5-7-3-W4)
New Dayton Fish and Game Pond - (32-5-18-W4)
Reesor Lake - (20-8-1-W4)
Spring Coulee Park Pond - (12-5-24-W4)
Stirling Children’s Pond - (29-6-19-W4)

Notice above Nicholas Sharon is NOT on that list

It is however in the PP1 Zone and it states

Nicholas Sheran Park Pond – Open all year – Trout limit 5; Pike
limit 3 (no size limit).

And it states this in pp1

For other PP1 Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds not included under
(A) or (B) and for fish species not mentioned at a listed lake.
 Open all year – Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm;
Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10; (where
present, Trout limit 5; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm);
Bait allowed.

I'm assuming I could take 15 / day

There's my argument and I'm sticking to it

chubbdarter
01-26-2011, 10:40 PM
right on good to know, because after i read pge 8 of the regs i understood its illegal.
in the specific lake details it does give a exempition for the keeping of pike but not perch

gprime27
01-26-2011, 10:42 PM
I think now that I know this I'm going to go nail 15 perch out of there and start making some awesome chowder!.. the trout and pike don't even eat them.. swim right down the middle of them and carry on stupid things..

Guitarplayingfish
01-26-2011, 10:49 PM
You may want to consider that the pike and trout don't eat them for a reason.... :sick:

gprime27
01-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Actually there's nothing wrong with anything we've pulled out of there. Kept the trout.. they taste great.. I did up those little perch that I kept.. used a sergical scalpal and deboned them.. tasted great.. tried a couple testers.. was worried.. Not sure why everyones afraid to eat them.. they are fine..

I'd be more afraid to eat the fish out of the old man or henderson..

westside lake is fine.

and i'm a VERY PICKY person with my fish..

JJRND
01-27-2011, 07:07 AM
Gprime is right. They had this same discussion a while back about a walleye caught in Park Lake. The lake specific regulations make no mention to the limit of walleye you can keep, so it then falls under the pp1 general regulations. So if you managed to catch 3 walleye over 50cm in Park Lake you could take all 3 home. The guy who caught the eye called a CO and that is what he said. So it looks like Gprime is going to have an excellent meal of perch chowder here soon. Let us know how you do with the perch next time you head out!

tuffymitch1
01-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Beautiful Brookies,they are such a colorful fish!:)

gprime27
01-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Gprime is right. They had this same discussion a while back about a walleye caught in Park Lake. The lake specific regulations make no mention to the limit of walleye you can keep, so it then falls under the pp1 general regulations. So if you managed to catch 3 walleye over 50cm in Park Lake you could take all 3 home. The guy who caught the eye called a CO and that is what he said. So it looks like Gprime is going to have an excellent meal of perch chowder here soon. Let us know how you do with the perch next time you head out!

Thanks for verifying that. and yes I will let you know how the chowder turns out when I get enough of them.. :).. and yes they are very pretty fish :)

munyee4321
01-27-2011, 07:41 AM
I think now that I know this I'm going to go nail 15 perch out of there and start making some awesome chowder!.. the trout and pike don't even eat them.. swim right down the middle of them and carry on stupid things..

Actually the do, we met gprime on that very windy day last weekend. You walked off as I walked on had a quick hello and small chat. Anywhos I was in about 30 some Perch and while fishing for them a pike circled and the perch scattered a few min later the perch regrouped around my bait and then all of a sudden wham same pike came out if no where and hammered a perch. (watching them all On my camera) took a fee minuets for the debris to settle. On that note I watched a pike swirl around my smelt on the tip up a few jigs inticed him to just nibble taste then let go and take off. Last yeAr I didn't have any troubl catching them on tipups not sure what the deal is this year.

gprime27
01-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Ahh yes that was you :)... excellent. I've had trouble with the pike to.. but, I gave my hint up above.. I've seen some HOGS in there.. only managed two so far.. Glad to hear they chase the perch.. they are better in my belly really ;) .. next time I'm out there come say hi :)

JJRND
01-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Are you guys using anything special for the perch? How deep are you finding them? I've only ever seen one in there, and it was in 10FOW.

gprime27
01-27-2011, 10:44 AM
6 feet of water. a splitshot and a small hook with a very very tiny piece of meal worm on it :)

JJRND
01-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Sweet! I'd like to catch a few perch when I'm back home for reading week and have myself a fish fry. Thanks for the info.

chubbdarter
01-27-2011, 11:22 AM

Park lake is NOT a stocked trout water

JJRND
01-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Neither is Nicholas Sheran according to the regulations.

chubbdarter
01-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Neither is Nicholas Sheran according to the regulations.

it states all stocked waters are not listed on that page.
i have a call into the F@W office.....they were not able to give me a answer after a 10 minute discussion but will get back to me.....lol

JJRND
01-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Lol! I just emailed a FW office. I wonder how long it will take for them to reply. Sorry about the stocked water issue. I was just stating a point about general water. But I'd like to know about the stocked waters as well. Cause if you caught a trout in let's say bears pond, you can't keep the grayling, but can you keep the trout. Not sure how a trout would get in there, but just as an example. Is this what you were trying to get across? Just so I am on the same page as you.

chubbdarter
01-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Lol! I just emailed a FW office. I wonder how long it will take for them to reply. Sorry about the stocked water issue. I was just stating a point about general water. But I'd like to know about the stocked waters as well. Cause if you caught a trout in let's say bears pond, you can't keep the grayling, but can you keep the trout. Not sure how a trout would get in there, but just as an example. Is this what you were trying to get across? Just so I am on the same page as you.

just got a call......According to Officer Craig it is ILLEGAL to keep perch in Nic-Sheran. He works out of the Lethbridge office..

chubbdarter
01-27-2011, 01:03 PM
it will be interesting if your e-mail goes to a different officer and you get a different answer....lol

JJRND
01-27-2011, 01:04 PM
"The following list of lakes, reservoirs and ponds identifies sites that are frequently stocked with rainbow trout, and some with brook trout, brown trout or cutthroat trout. Water bodies appearing below are open all year with a trout limit of five. THE HARVEST OF SPECIES OTHER THAN TROUT FROM STOCKED TROUT WATERS IS NOT PERMITTED. Stocked waters where the harvest of other species is allowed or where bait restrictions apply are listed under "Lakes and Streams Listings" for each Watershed Unit.
Several additional sites stocked with rainbow, brook, brown, cutthroat trout or arctic grayling are not identified in this section, but appear with special regulations under "Lake and Stream Listing" for each Watershed Unit."

"Nicholas Sheran Park Pond – Open all year – Trout limit 5; Pike limit 3 (no size limit)."

So according to what officer Craig said it's illegal, and this seems to back up what he says. Even if the stocked body of water is listed under "Lakes and Streams Listings", you can't keep anything unless it is mentioned in those listings. That's what I gather.
But it is not illegal to keep fish that aren't listed in bodies of water that are not stocked with trout? Just as long as you follow the provincial catch limit?

That kind of bites...cause if someone threw some pike in a trout pond illegally, and a person later caught a pike, he'd have to just put it back in and let the pike take control? I'm sure eventually they'd change the regs so that pike were able to be kept legally, but I'm just saying.

chubbdarter
01-27-2011, 01:18 PM
"The following list of lakes, reservoirs and ponds identifies sites that are frequently stocked with rainbow trout, and some with brook trout, brown trout or cutthroat trout. Water bodies appearing below are open all year with a trout limit of five. THE HARVEST OF SPECIES OTHER THAN TROUT FROM STOCKED TROUT WATERS IS NOT PERMITTED. Stocked waters where the harvest of other species is allowed or where bait restrictions apply are listed under "Lakes and Streams Listings" for each Watershed Unit.
Several additional sites stocked with rainbow, brook, brown, cutthroat trout or arctic grayling are not identified in this section, but appear with special regulations under "Lake and Stream Listing" for each Watershed Unit."

"Nicholas Sheran Park Pond – Open all year – Trout limit 5; Pike limit 3 (no size limit)."

So according to what officer Craig said it's illegal, and this seems to back up what he says. Even if the stocked body of water is listed under "Lakes and Streams Listings", you can't keep anything unless it is mentioned in those listings. That's what I gather.
But it is not illegal to keep fish that aren't listed in bodies of water that are not stocked with trout? Just as long as you follow the provincial catch limit?

That kind of bites...cause if someone threw some pike in a trout pond illegally, and a person later caught a pike, he'd have to just put it back in and let the pike take control? I'm sure eventually they'd change the regs so that pike were able to be kept legally, but I'm just saying.

lol..but it is okay to keep pike...because in the specific regulation for the lake it makes a excemption for pike in Nic-Sheran but not perch.

he said the general synopsis is the last option for clarification....first pge 8 rules...then go to pg 51 lake specific regulations for exceptions....finally if you dont have a answer go to general for the region and that is your regulation.

even though its not listed as a stocked lake on pg 8...it is in blue type on pge 51 which indicates a stocked body of water

lol my head hurts

JJRND
01-27-2011, 01:54 PM
lol..but it is okay to keep pike...because in the specific regulation for the lake it makes a excemption for pike in Nic-Sheran but not perch.

he said the general synopsis is the last option for clarification....first pge 8 rules...then go to pg 51 lake specific regulations for exceptions....finally if you dont have a answer go to general for the region and that is your regulation.

even though its not listed as a stocked lake on pg 8...it is in blue type on pge 51 which indicates a stocked body of water

lol my head hurts

Haha. Well at least the confusion is over until next time. Thanks for clarifying everything though. It's nice to know and understand all the regulations.

chubbdarter
01-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Haha. Well at least the confusion is over until next time. Thanks for clarifying everything though. It's nice to know and understand all the regulations.

good thing the kfc is just down the road to solve supper problems....and i have coupons...woot woot!!

gprime27
01-27-2011, 03:02 PM
mmm, well then.. I have nothing to say. I'm only going of by what I've been reading and have been told. Those regulations suck. I have to say that they should make it ALOT clearer..

gprime27
01-27-2011, 03:15 PM
I kinda feel like a criminal now :(:sign0161::sign0161:

chubbdarter
01-27-2011, 04:04 PM
well its no excuse for me but ive been at this a long time and ive learned alot about suckers and perch in the last few days.
i do know if what im told doesnt seem crystal clear to what i read in the regs....im making the call....even though some government employees talk down to a person.....todays people were very kind and helpfull.

and theyare very busy today with some sort of magrath special hunt

also its alot easier for me to understand something when a person who understands it walks me thru it in simple terms.....kinda like my kid teaching me computer stuff.....when it finally clicks in your kinda embarrassed.

gprime27
01-27-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm not really embarassed, jus tglad I found out before I went and took 15 out of there saturday :) haha

chubbdarter
01-27-2011, 05:15 PM
change the subject....hahahahha

how deep you fishing for the TROUT?

JJRND
01-27-2011, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't feel too bad gprime. You at least know now.

gprime27
01-27-2011, 05:39 PM
3 feet of water! that's all I'm saying ;)

chubbdarter
01-27-2011, 05:45 PM
3 feet of water! that's all I'm saying ;)

hahahahhahhhahaahahah

all i know is its the best lake i know with KFC next door.

chubbdarter
01-27-2011, 05:53 PM
are the brook trout retired brood stock?

gprime27
01-27-2011, 05:54 PM
there are some HOGS in there. I haven't been fortunate to get into one of the big ones.. seen them lots.. Going after one this weekend. The ones I'm getting are about normal size.. they where stocked as ok size fish. just big enough so the pike don't eat them up. I watched them go in :)

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 06:02 PM
use big smelts/herring on tip ups! deep water i key ;)

npauls
01-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Hey Darter,

I am pretty sure that the brookies are just bigger sized stockers that they release so the pike aren't eating them. As for the browns I think they could be broods but may be wrong.

The pike in there pretty much each the perch and crayfish so they are kind of tough to get to bite. Keying in on deep water isn't going to help in that tiny pond. There is only a little deep spot there and I have looked around and most of the time the pike are in the middle depths ready to race into shallow water to hammer some perch.

nate

fishingrocks
01-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Good thing i have been throwing the perch back!!!!
Still fun to catch though!!!!!

Guitarplayingfish
01-27-2011, 11:30 PM
All trout in Nic are brood trout.. guaranteed. Deepest spot in the lake is 25-26ft (I won't say where), which is very reasonable for such a small pond. Perch haven't been in there for very long... couple years max. I've fished nic my entire life, and I never saw a perch until 2-4 years ago.. Now that they are there, I see them constantly, and usually they take anything (even if its half the size of them!) With some knowledge nic can be fun, and at the right time of year you can almost be guarenteed browns and brooks.. including 5lb brooks (max), and 5lb+ browns, which isn't too uncommon in my experience. I had a 8lb+ brown on the fly once, and i fought it for over 10 minutes. It was going absolutely INSANE, one of the craziest fights I have ever had. I brought her in and when I went to take the hook out she took 1 last run from my feet and snapped my line :( Im guessing that fish died or was caught since than, considering that was 3 years ago. As for pike, fly-fishing seems to be key. Try it come melt and you will be pleasantly surprised. I couldn't keep them off the line when I used a certain pattern.

Hopefully some of you can hook into some fat trout or pike. If you do, take some pictures and post them :sHa_shakeshout:

Guitarplayingfish
01-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Also, an interesting piece of information... There are A VERY LIMITED population of rainbow trout in the pond as well. I have caught them, and seen them caught as well... When compared to other species though, it is quite rare.

npauls
01-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Hey Guitar,

When I first moved to lethbridge back in like 2002 I ice fished that place and used to hammer the perch. They have been in there forever just no where near the amount they are in there now.

I wasn't sure about the brookies being retired broods since some of them are pretty small in size.

I thought the browns were though since most of them that I have seen are big pigs.

Last but not least thanks for the auger. I got it hooked up to my drill tonight and will be testing it out at PCR tomorrow night to see how the blades run. From there I will make adjustments and see if shimming them works or not. If not I may have to search out some new blades and see if they work better.

nate

chubbdarter
01-28-2011, 12:04 AM
you guys are very lucky to have a qaulity fishery in the city...

npauls
01-28-2011, 12:10 AM
It is a good place to head to when you only have a few hours to kill. I try not to fish it to often so I don't get bored of it. This way it always gives me an option when I don't have alot of time or the money to head somewhere further.

Nate

gprime27
01-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Got three today.. One VERY fat nice brookie :) FYI Special thanks to fishrocker and Lookie for letting me borrow an auger today as mine somehow is very dull :(

fishingrocks
01-31-2011, 07:32 AM
Well done, and they were all caught within a hour!!!! Pretty impressive. Call me crazy, going out this morning in minus 30 degree weather, I love the Ice Hut!!!!!!

DanJ
01-31-2011, 07:36 AM
Perch chowder - what a great idea. Do you have a recipe you can share?

WayneChristie
01-31-2011, 07:57 AM
[/B]

Actually the do, we met gprime on that very windy day last weekend. You walked off as I walked on had a quick hello and small chat. Anywhos I was in about 30 some Perch and while fishing for them a pike circled and the perch scattered a few min later the perch regrouped around my bait and then all of a sudden wham same pike came out if no where and hammered a perch. (watching them all On my camera) took a fee minuets for the debris to settle. On that note I watched a pike swirl around my smelt on the tip up a few jigs inticed him to just nibble taste then let go and take off. Last yeAr I didn't have any troubl catching them on tipups not sure what the deal is this year.

if the pike wont take a good sized smelt, downsize, try the smallest one you can find. works for me when they are being fussy.

JJRND
02-03-2011, 11:46 AM
So I finally got a reply to my email. Here is what it said.
Thank you for your inquiry. You’ve brought up a good point that I will try to clarify in a future edition of the Sportfishing Guide.
If a waterbody (of any sort) is listed specifically in the “Lake and Stream Listings” and the angler catches a species of fish that is not listed for that waterbody, then the angler may retain fish in accordance with the “provincewide maximum possession” listed on page 18 of the 2010 Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations.
If a waterbody is not specifically listed in the “Lake and Stream Listings” then an angler needs to: 1) abide by any size limits and quotas listed under the heading of ”Site-Specific Regulations” for that particular watershed zone, then 2) ensure that they don’t exceed the “provincewide maximum possession”.
After following the steps described above, an angler would be able to retain three pike of any size from most (but not all) stocked trout ponds. It’s worthwhile noting that the stocking program is not operated in the same way every year and sometimes new management goals are established for a waterbody.
If you have any further questions relating to sportfishing regulations, I would encourage you to contact the Fish and Wildlife Division district office nearest where you live, dialling 310-0000 for toll-free directory assistance within Alberta. **
Ben Branscombe
Regulations Officer - Alberta Fish and Wildlife Division

It sounds like they are going to try and clarify things a bit better this year.

gprime27
02-03-2011, 01:01 PM
See now I'm reading this all crooked. YES OR NO CAN WE KEEP PERCH LEGALLY?

chubbdarter
02-03-2011, 01:06 PM
See now I'm reading this all crooked. YES OR NO CAN WE KEEP PERCH LEGALLY?

ahhahahahahahhahahahhaahah....i think this dude forgot what he wrote on page 8

gprime27
02-03-2011, 01:09 PM
This is a recipie I got from a guy that made me perch chowder once :) I think he got it offline :)

INGREDIENTS
•1 pound lean bacon (cut into 1” pieces
•3-4 medium potatoes (cut into cubes or slices)
•1 large or 2 medium onions (diced or sliced)
•10-15 large mushrooms (diced or sliced)
•4-6 reg. cans Cream of Potato soup (or 1 – 2 large cans)
•1 quart whole milk (or more…to “extend”)
•1 tablespoon crushed garlic (to taste)
•2 teaspoons black pepper (to taste)
•1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
•1 bunch fresh perch fillets (1# - 2#…or more) STEP BY STEP

1.Fry bacon pieces until semi-crisp. Remove to large soup pot. Save drippings in fry pan.

2.Fry potato pieces in bacon drippings, until softened and browned.
Remove to soup pot, leaving as much bacon drippings as possible.

3.Simmer onion and mushrooms together in remaining bacon drippings.
Cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms mostly cooked.

4.Add mushrooms, onions and all other ingredients (except the fillets)
to the soup pot.

5.Start cooking, first on high heat and then lower, to prevent burning
of milk and soup. Stir frequently.

6.Keep heating and stirring until fishless soup mixture is warm enough
to start steaming.

7.Add fish fillets, and stir into hot soup.

8.Keep heating and stirring until fish fillets turn opaque and flaky.

9.When soup is bubbling, and fillets are broken up and mixed into it,
turn off the heat begin ladling into large bowls.

10.Serve with oyster crackers, extra seasonings, Tabasco sauce, etc.

gprime27
02-03-2011, 01:10 PM

WEll then, i'll take this as a no :( don't be mean :(

chubbdarter
02-03-2011, 01:14 PM
WEll then, i'll take this as a no :( don't be mean :(

sorry g27.....

NO really im not sorry.....

ive never caught a brookie as big as your catching every week!!!!!!!!!!

lol...keep up the good work.....and your right there's no mistaking your wheels

JJRND
02-03-2011, 02:06 PM

I just found this from 2010.

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/ManagingPrograms/FishWildlifeManagement/FisheriesManagement/Default.aspx

Scroll down to unwanted Yellow Perch in stocked trout ponds. You can read that Nicholas Sheran is listed in the updated list of ponds. Which means that last season you could have kept 15 perch from there. However, in the April 2010 NOTES portion, it states:

"Q. What’s the strategy for dealing with perch in trout lakes? A. SRD response consists of education and removing incentive for act: signs to be placed at stocked waters; info included in Sportfishing guide; no harvest allowed of perch in trout ponds; hefty fine for illegal introductions, and guilty may be responsible for costs of restoration. Strategy may evolve over time.
o Closing a perch-invaded trout pond to all fishing is an option to be considered. This is done in BC. Consultation would have to be done, and a defined process followed."

as well as this:
"The point was made that some anglers likely prefer perch over trout, particularly youth. Maybe having perch in these ponds is a desired state? A suggestion was made to post a list of waters in which perch have been intentionally stocked, so inform anglers who want to target that species."

So they have confused me all over again. I would take this to the fish and wildlife office if I wasn't in Sask right now. They made it clear that you were allowed to keep perch in the 09-10 season out of Nicholas Sheran. But I have no idea if that still stands. Any thoughts?

gprime27
02-03-2011, 03:52 PM
sorry g27.....

NO really im not sorry.....

ive never caught a brookie as big as your catching every week!!!!!!!!!!

lol...keep up the good work.....and your right there's no mistaking your wheels

I'll try to keep up the good work :).. It's like tetris fitting stuff into that little car of mine. I manage to get my ice hut, sled, gear and fish tv into it all ... hahah :)

gprime27
02-03-2011, 03:53 PM
I just found this from 2010.

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/ManagingPrograms/FishWildlifeManagement/FisheriesManagement/Default.aspx

Scroll down to unwanted Yellow Perch in stocked trout ponds. You can read that Nicholas Sheran is listed in the updated list of ponds. Which means that last season you could have kept 15 perch from there. However, in the April 2010 NOTES portion, it states:

"Q. What’s the strategy for dealing with perch in trout lakes? A. SRD response consists of education and removing incentive for act: signs to be placed at stocked waters; info included in Sportfishing guide; no harvest allowed of perch in trout ponds; hefty fine for illegal introductions, and guilty may be responsible for costs of restoration. Strategy may evolve over time.
o Closing a perch-invaded trout pond to all fishing is an option to be considered. This is done in BC. Consultation would have to be done, and a defined process followed."

as well as this:
"The point was made that some anglers likely prefer perch over trout, particularly youth. Maybe having perch in these ponds is a desired state? A suggestion was made to post a list of waters in which perch have been intentionally stocked, so inform anglers who want to target that species."

So they have confused me all over again. I would take this to the fish and wildlife office if I wasn't in Sask right now. They made it clear that you were allowed to keep perch in the 09-10 season out of Nicholas Sheran. But I have no idea if that still stands. Any thoughts?

More confusion to this point. I don't think the F&W even know the answer. They've made it so confusing :)

Skshunter19
01-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Seen perch under the bridges. Only ever caught one though