PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Ridge Vs. Barnaby Ridge?

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Rainy Ridge Vs. Barnaby Ridge? whats ones easyer to find? better fishing? what to bring? what to expct?
thanks

Ray
01-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Rainy Ridge Vs. Barnaby Ridge? what to bring? what to expct?
thanks

Bear spray

Gumbi
01-27-2011, 09:53 AM
shot gun!

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 09:57 AM
is it realy that bad?

The Fisherman Guy
01-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Are you really willing to risk going without?

JJRND
01-27-2011, 10:07 AM
If you search the forums for Rainy Ridge, you will soon realize that it is in the heart of grizz country. A bunch of us were going to go to Rainy Ridge last summer, but then my bro in law chickened out after reading the information on the forums. If you are safe about it, and be sure to let the bears know you are coming, chances a very good that you'll be fine. I haven't heard much about Barnaby Ridge. I'm sure there are bears there too. As for fishing, the golden trout don't get huge, and you will do best with small flies or small spinners. Flies are probably better than spinners IMO. I've heard the trail head for Rainy Ridge can be difficult to find and that you'll be doing a lot of bushwhacking. I'm going to try again to convince my bro in law to go this year. But make sure you are packing some heat and bear spray is a must in grizz country! Oh, and be sure to familiarize yourself with how the bearspray works. You don't want to be figuring it out while a grizzly charges you.

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 10:12 AM
ya im gonnamake it up in sumer with my buddy were 16 so itsshall be a fun one lol

Vessey
01-27-2011, 10:25 AM
I went to rainy this past summer, there were 3 people fishing for the day and 4 that spent the night and only 1 fish was caught. We seen a decent number of fish but they were just really picky.

The main reason I wouldn't go to rainy again is the road in is getting very over grown and my truck was scratched up real bad it looked like someone took sandpaper to it. I spent a few days buffing those out so I wouldn't suggest taking a nice vehicle in there.

If you look on google maps you can see the avalanche chute you should walk up but if you don't have GPS or someone who has been there before you might not be able to find the trailhead.

lucky_magic_stick
01-27-2011, 10:31 AM
We when fishing down there this last summer and since they reclaimed some of the castle area the cut line to the trail head for Rainy ridge has really grown in and there is a locked gate about 4 or 5 kms from the trail head. What a fun 50 point turn to get out of there crappy way to find out.If I was better on the computer I would post some pics will see if Brett has time after work today to do it.I know it is not a really long hike up to Rainy from the sparse trailhead but the extra walk in and out down the cut line will keep a lot of people out Im sure.So Barnaby would be your best bet. Also got the sand paper treatment on my truck wont go back either fishing the south castle was good that day but not worth it.Cheers Andy

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Alright so i wanna go to barnaby ridge....i herd its about a 2 hour hike and were pretty fast hikers and were pretty fit for leg musslies :) can do 50 reps at 500lbs i just wanna know where ti start and find the trail

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 10:42 AM
thank,s soo much guys for the info its help lot when u got a working foum

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 10:43 AM
btw i got a 8'6 4wt fly rod and im very knolagable on fly fishing soo im sure making tem bite wont be too hard for me :)

lucky_magic_stick
01-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Hope this works just found the slide show http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o232/brett_lee/Rainy%20Ridge/?albumview=slideshow That was 15 plus years ago look for the snow chute the lake is at the bottom of it have been there 6 or so times years ago.The pics are not the greatest as they were scanned hope you have a great time beautyful country and fish.Cheers Andy

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 10:56 AM
beauty goldens wat season was this?

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 10:58 AM
do you have a map to gt up there? because i herd its hard to find andim not fimalir with that area.

lucky_magic_stick
01-27-2011, 11:26 AM
FH You heard right its not easy to find as mentioned by Vessey and myself our trucks got scratched to heck with all the over growth.Vessey also stated the fishing has gone down hill to many people and to short of a growth season.I heard the fishing a Rainey was not like it used to be by other people also.The other thing to keep in mind is as you mentioned very good population of big bears down the South Castle area.You can see the trail head for Barnaby from the parking lot of the castle mountain ski hill.If you want to go to Rainey go through the ski hill parking lot and keep left after the second bridge you will run into the gate I mentioned.Then you have a few kms to walk down the road till the next bridge keep looking to the right you will see the snow chute walk about a k or so past the bridge and go straight up tailhead will more than likely be grown in was never much of a trail to begin with. I would leave real early in the am bring some work gloves to hold on to the shrubs to help pull yourself up its only a couple of miles to hike but is on heck of a bushwack.Good luck cheers Andy

chubbdarter
01-27-2011, 11:37 AM
call Vic at the Crowsnest Angler......

lucky_magic_stick
01-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Chub funny you mention Vic it was a story he wrote about Rainy in the alberta fishing guide back in 1984 that got me interested he knows the area better than anyone else for sure.Cheers Andy

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 11:47 AM
alright so rainy ridge would be better fishing then

NUK SOO KOW
01-27-2011, 12:11 PM
I did rainy ridge in 2009 and 2010, as well as barnaby in 2010. Caught fish each time, just tiny little goldies. Gorgeous fish!! The trail to barnaby is quite easy to find, and the trail is very well travelled. The hardest part is the climbing the shale. My first trip to rainy was crazy. My friend and I thought we had the trailhead but instead we bushwhacked up the creek that comes out of the lake. An hour into that hike it started to drizzle(not to mention it had been raining 4 days previous).It was a wet trip. It took us 4 hours of hell to get to that lake. Tired, frozen, wet, we made it. Mother Nature was a little kind and let the sun out for about 45 min while we were up there. Had a tough time finding dry wood for a fire. I reccomend a small hatchet. Followed the trail out, it wasn't bad. Be prepard for thick bush on the avy chute portion. Now that I knew where the trailhead was, I took my girlfriend up last summer. Picked a much nicer day this time. The road to the trailhead was rough, I did make it with my half ton chev but it was rough. Each Lake is an absolute gem, the hike is worth it even if you don't catch any fish. Can see them easily at rainy, but they are very picky. Had better luck at barnaby and even better at the two lakes higher up. I did see some small trout frys in the outlet creek at rainy, the goldies are reproducing but as to how many survive is another story.

Next summer, I plan on doin each of these lakes again, as well as grizzly lake, and lys lake. Just gotta decide if I wanna try the long way or short way to grizz lake.

And yes there are a bears. Lots of them and big ones. Seen one Grizz the first trip to rainy, 2 the second trip, and one on the way to barnaby as well as a black. When I took my girlfriend to rainy and we started to hit the thick bush, I started singing. After about 5 min she asked why I'm singing. I said simply pointed across the valley, see that brown spot. Thats a grizz. Thats why. Hes a long way away, but who knows whats on this side. She turned white as a ghost. Sure enough when we got to almost the top of the avalanche chute, stopped for a rest, I seen another about 400 yards down and to the south of where we were. None gave any trouble, but just never know.

You are in the heart of Bear country. There are way more bears up there than they say. I even talked to a C\O that said the same thing. Not trying to scare you. But be smart if you go. Go pepared.

And have fun!! These lakes are just amazing!! Well worth the efforts!! Just wish they would try stocking them again. I have talked to guys who used to catch monster goldies back in the 80s. Take care and be safe

Vessey
01-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Both lakes are hard to fish and more people report being skunked then not. We went to rainy because from what we have read/heard there are more fish but they are smaller. I would suggest spending the night if you can, we had the most action early in the morning.

If you do a google search there is a magaizine article about rainy and there is a testing report on both those lakes and a few others.

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 07:41 PM
thanks if anyone else has anything else to share about this lake please PM me or comment thanks

Freddydog
01-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Hey FH 7,

I have fished up there dozens of times. Both rainy ridge and barnaby ridge. It is for sure beautiful and easy access. The bears arnt a problem if your smart about it. For people who think you need a gun please dont go so you dont hurt people with the weapon a likelyhood far greater than a bear hurting you. PM me if you need specifics on the trails etc. I have always caught fish when up there.

lannie
01-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Hey FH 7,

I have fished up there dozens of times. Both rainy ridge and barnaby ridge. It is for sure beautiful and easy access. The bears arnt a problem if your smart about it. For people who think you need a gun please dont go so you dont hurt people with the weapon a likelyhood far greater than a bear hurting you. PM me if you need specifics on the trails etc. I have always caught fish when up there.

Fully agree with you !!
I have never seen a local angler fishing with a gun. I would not dream of dragging a gun while fishing. Wearing a motorcycle helmet while driving a car is more reasonable. Pack an Airhorn, bearspray if makes you feel better.
Bears are not the problem, panic is.

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 08:52 PM
i have been chased by a bears at lower K in the fall lucky he was just trying to protect his "area" and stoped at the openso im a bit spectical of fishing alone and without bear spary but i would never bring a gun fishing if your unsafe going why go>?