PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger guys - mono or braid ?

Teamprotz
01-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Just getting into d'rigging , I've always been a steel line or jigging kinda guy. Do I want to run braided line or mono on my reels ? I know braid may slip from the releases but I like the no stretch. Any help would be great.

Dust1n
01-27-2011, 08:06 PM
main line braid with a mono or flouro leader

chubbdarter
01-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Just getting into d'rigging , I've always been a steel line or jigging kinda guy. Do I want to run braided line or mono on my reels ? I know braid may slip from the releases but I like the no stretch. Any help would be great.

the off shore releases...wont release from slippage.
i run iron thread and gorilla and have no issues on the down rigger pulling flasher and hooch, or even a kelp cutter and hair. Off a 15lb ball -130 feet down
the same off shore releases go on my planer boards running 150 feet of line back..in rough water and no false releases. some time if there set to deep we need to pop the rod.

http://www.offshoretackle.com/release.htm

Fireline has given us problems

Teamprotz
01-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Good info. I'm partial to Powerpro so will probably go that way with 17lb Excalibur for a lead. Neither have ever let me down.

Willowtrail
01-28-2011, 01:22 AM
main line braid with a mono or flouro leader

X2
I love my braid and have every reel I use loaded with it and then add a fluorocarbon leader. That's just my way of doing things.

Chub knows his stuff very well, worth a few pm's to him to get a strayegy figured.

Teamprotz
01-28-2011, 02:59 AM
I too use braid for almost everthing. I do use 17lb mono for big lakers at Athapap. I like the bit of stretch , forgiveness if you will , when bringing 35-40lb fish up from bottom.