PDA

View Full Version : Phyllis lake

eyewhomper
01-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Thinking of trying phyllis lake by caroline this weekend never been there so dont no how the fishing is there. what do you guys think of this lake and is there any descent size fish in there thx

Dust1n
01-28-2011, 06:25 PM
the broods in that lake during summer are pretty picky and i was using a size 22black rocknymph on 8x line and he wouldnt take it....and other people using baits said they would just swim right past there hooks

gui
01-28-2011, 06:35 PM
hey guys i whent to philys many times. i always catch a lot but lil ones only. therew trout and illegal perch. i think some suckers too i heard on here. ive seen some people catching like 10 pounders on there... wow amazing. they look nice. hopefully ill catch one one day

sheepguide
01-28-2011, 10:01 PM
hey guys i whent to philys many times. i always catch a lot but lil ones only. therew trout and illegal perch. i think some suckers too i heard on here. ive seen some people catching like 10 pounders on there... wow amazing. they look nice. hopefully ill catch one one day

The big trout caught in Phyllis are the old brood stock from the hatchery. Ive seen a couple that were in good shape but some the meat and such is kinda mushy and not worth eating.
SG

trapshooter
01-28-2011, 10:35 PM
I am heading there this weekend! I am so excited, it is one of my favorite places to fish! Ice fishing you catch more perch then trout, Just use worms.
Last time I was there we caught 21 in 2 days! If you go closer to the island you will catch bigger but fewer fish! Hope this helps.
Here are some pics from the last time out!

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/DSCF1773.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/DSCF1771.jpg

Dust1n
01-29-2011, 09:07 AM
decent

duffy4
01-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Here is one of the big old brood trout that I caught, measured and released a few years ago. After catching loads of the smaller trout that gave me a little "nibble" on the line I got a "big tug" and knew I had something else.

These big fish are kind of ugly and apparently not too good eating but they sure are a thrill to hook and land.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/duffy4/103_1847.jpg

gui
01-29-2011, 11:32 AM
i love their colors. their awesome and the fight nice

Dust1n
01-29-2011, 11:33 AM
good fish!:sHa_shakeshout:

TheFishHunter
05-12-2011, 03:50 PM
The big trout caught in Phyllis are the old brood stock from the hatchery. Ive seen a couple that were in good shape but some the meat and such is kinda mushy and not worth eating.
SG

Your right. The fish are actually quite beat up. You have to watch their tails as their bones wear through them and can cut you really deeply (learned this lesson a few times on them)

I wouldn't recommend eating these broods if you catch them. All they ever ate were oily fish pellets mixed with saw dust and it doesn't make them very tasty..

If you catch it at the right time though, they are a ton of fun!

chubbdarter
05-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Your right. The fish are actually quite beat up. You have to watch their tails as their bones wear through them and can cut you really deeply (learned this lesson a few times on them)

I wouldn't recommend eating these broods if you catch them. All they ever ate were oily fish pellets mixed with saw dust and it doesn't make them very tasty..

Nice Fish!!!!

Gumbi
05-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Heres a trip out to phyllis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu4At2Eo1A8

chubbdarter
05-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Heres a trip out to phyllis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu4At2Eo1A8

got to the 3 second mark before music scared me

Daceminnow
05-12-2011, 05:46 PM

great looking fish guys. beauties. from a trip this spring?

Daceminnow
05-12-2011, 06:03 PM
great looking fish guys. beauties. from a trip this spring?

guess not....read ice report in another thread. soon very soon. post more pics after your trip.

Fishing king2012
01-30-2012, 09:23 PM
How is ice fishing there in the winter? Thinking of heading up there for rainbows. Can you guys tell me if it would be worth the trip?

DidsburyBowHunter
01-30-2012, 10:27 PM
i was there this weekend after a failed attempt at ghost with the gf's brother. it was a great day. caught tonns of small rainbows and perch. the best part of the day was when one of the big old brood sob's stared down and attacked my fish camera. so yes it is worth it

Fishing king2012
01-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Thnx for the tip and what bait should I use for blood rainbows. What were you using for the small trout?
Oh ya a few more things were the small rainbows big enought to eat like 12"range or smaller like 5"?Where on the lake were you at?

DidsburyBowHunter
01-30-2012, 10:55 PM
worms and maggots work great. maggots work best if you want to catch perch and trout in my opinion. but we caught more trout with worms. just using teardrop jigs when using maggots. and regular hooks with worms. put a split shot 6 inches to get some weight on the line. we were about 50 yards away from the shore on the side closest to the road you get onto the ice with and a fair ways back. we found it to be slightly better when we were on a rocky bottom ( near middle of lake ) than in the sediment. but that was just our experience. i don't know if there good eating, we just catch and release. if you really are having a hard time finding a good spot just find some pre drilled holes closer to the back end and fish in that general area.

DidsburyBowHunter
01-30-2012, 11:00 PM
the perch are around 3'' and some rainbows we caught got up to 13'' but most around 7-9'' and the broods we saw were who knows what size lol but they sure looked huge

Fishing king2012
01-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Great thnx for your help what size were the rainbow trout that you were catching? Thnx again. One last thing how thick is the ice?

DidsburyBowHunter
01-30-2012, 11:06 PM
ranged from 1.5 pounds being biggest to about half a pound being average. smallest guy wouldn't know, prob a quarter pound. ice was over 15" might be a fair bit more but i know it was over 15, safe to drive on

fish gunner
01-30-2012, 11:10 PM
30yards out from the island has produced best for me.the perch get a move on when a brood fish shows up. fish worm 2-3'down tends to get the brooders.a good way to tell if there is a brooder around, if the perch chase your bait up off the bottom,no brooder. if the perch are scarce or wont come up off bottom good chance a brooder is near bye.

DidsburyBowHunter
01-30-2012, 11:13 PM
30yards out from the island has produced best for me.the perch get a move on when a brood fish shows up. fish worm 2-3'down tends to get the brooders.a good way to tell if there is a brooder around, if the perch chase your bait up off the bottom,no brooder. if the perch are scarce or wont come up off bottom good chance a brooder is near bye.

haha you nailed it. that is exactly what happens. it always seemed once the brood left a couple of smaller trout would instantly show up as well

fish gunner
01-30-2012, 11:42 PM
pm one of these days got an old uk secret for brooders have not tried on phillis yet but it works well on trout back in the uk.

Fishing king2012
01-31-2012, 06:28 AM
Thnx guys that is all thnx for your time

the local angler
01-31-2012, 03:25 PM
great job guys i loved the top view footage thats just awsome.

Fishing king2012
01-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Has anyone caught a Brood rainbow in the winter? if so on what?

MoFugger21
01-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Has anyone caught a Brood rainbow in the winter? if so on what?

Read above.... They already answered your question.

Fishing king2012
01-31-2012, 04:49 PM
oops forgot.

Dust1n
01-31-2012, 05:03 PM
size 12 black leech took this brood. Dont eat them theyre gross!

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Rainbow%20trout/IMG_0465.jpg

pipco
01-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Fish hunter 7,

Yep, they are big and ugly. Kind of like a coelacanth. I managed to hook two brood stock and bring one to the net with a black leech pattern on the fly rod a couple of years ago. It looked like it had been dragged down the road behind my truck and did not have near the fight you'd expect from a fish that size (approx 7 or 8 lbs). Still exciting though and the largest rainbow I've been lucky enough catch by about 3lbs. It went right back in the water so I can only imagine how nasty it would have tasted.
In my experience most stocked trout aren't worth eating. That's one of the reason's c&r is a good thing.

Dust1n
01-31-2012, 05:28 PM
I got mine of the 8.6 4wt with 2lb test i believe. It was a huge fight but on my noodle it didn't have any backbone to horse it in. and it didn't want to jump or anything and had zero life in it. But i do not recommend anyone to try these there a blasphemy and i will never do it again haha

TROLLER
02-01-2012, 07:18 PM
I got mine of the 8.6 4wt with 2lb test i believe. It was a huge fight but on my noodle it didn't have any backbone to horse it in. and it didn't want to jump or anything and had zero life in it. But i do not recommend anyone to try these there a blasphemy and i will never do it again haha

I was at Phyliss today and cannot believe the mess some guys have left on the ice. I picked all your garbage, and please put your cig butts in your pocket and haul em off the ice. Not just that but all the wood left from your fireplace is pretty sad. If you must stay warm buy a tent.

Not only that but the fish were not biting today.

Dust1n
02-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Troller why was that post directed at me? I havent been on the ice at phyllis this year yet

harrydude
02-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Anyone know the ice condition out there today?

TROLLER
02-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Troller why was that post directed at me? I havent been on the ice at phyllis this year yet

Sorry, I hit the wrong button. Not intended to you and again sorry.

TROLLER
02-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Anyone know the ice condition out there today?

More than 2ft of good hard clean ice.

12F150
04-23-2015, 11:43 AM
Any updates on the ice conditions at Phyllis Lake or Dickson Trout Ponds?? Thanks

Digger91
04-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Any updates on the ice conditions at Phyllis Lake or Dickson Trout Ponds?? Thanks

Dickson trout pond has been ice free for about a week now. Not sure about Phyllis though!