PDA

View Full Version : Have you caught a tagged fish before?

camshaft
01-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Was out at Lower K today and of our 8 fish landed, 2 were tagged! I actually felt kinda helpless cuz we were in a hurry to take a few pics and get them back in the water so recording the info wasnt really a priority.

I didnt realize the numbers/letters on those things are so hard to see. The little pieces were covered in some sort of black stuff that we would have had to remove to see all the digits.

That, plus the fact that I dont routinely carry a pen/paper with me made remembering the tag #, length, weight, where we caught it ect impossible to note. That being said. I may actually keep a marker handy so I can record those in the future.

Dust1n
01-28-2011, 08:14 PM
iv only caught 1 tagged fish

critter
01-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Pretty much every single fish ive caught there this year has been over 7 pounds and tagged. Amazing average size, and great to see some mature tagged fish so healthy and abundant. The "black stuff" is just moss. Scrape that away and snag the 4 or 5 digit number. Heres a pic of all the tagged fish we caught/recorded in our earlier years fishing there.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/coyote005/IMG_1850.jpg?t=1296271114

We have another lid or two of the last 8 years or so, just havent taken a pic of it. Its cool to see how many fish you catch over and over, and how much they grow throughout the years. Caught fish 3714 5 minutes apart in 2002! fought better the second time lol.

Grizzled
01-28-2011, 08:37 PM
I have a good pic of a tagged CVR walleye but do not know how to post it...could email to someone if they want post a pic.

Dust1n
01-28-2011, 08:38 PM
my 11lb pound bull wasnt tagged neither a 8lber therei was fishing in front of the day use were the shallow flats are

chubbdarter
01-28-2011, 08:44 PM
ive caught alot of rainbows that we spagettied with a fisheries gun....and caught alot of fish that the fisheries people radio tagged but ive never recaptured any of them.

Dust1n
01-28-2011, 08:45 PM
idk mabe i didnt look hard enough for em but the 8lb i looked at it alot cause he was a ftty and didnt see anything but a nice solid fish

critter
01-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Quite a few were tagged at one point. but the tag is no longer in them. check to see if they are clipped. If they are clipped, they were once tagged. The tags simply fall out sometimes over time. There is often a small scar in the tag area as well. Dont forget to check for eye tags too! Few and far between, but some bulls have tiny coloured eye tags right beside the eyeball with a 3 digit number about 2mm in size. They are tiny and tough to see if you dont look closely.

Dust1n
01-28-2011, 09:00 PM
nope i got a ful pic pf it and neither looks like its there but it had a rough kype on it

icefever
01-28-2011, 09:45 PM
This year I would say only 1 in 8 bulls I caught where tagged, the problem is the tags have to much algae on them to read and I am more interested in getting them back in the water so I don't worry about it

just_dave
01-28-2011, 10:01 PM
I caught a tagged northern pike in the Slave River. I had no idea what to do, so I just put it back. The area around the site where the tag went into the fish looked awful. Like the tag rubbing on the scales wouldn't allow healing.