PDA

View Full Version : Does the Pond in Mackenzie Towne have fish in it?

Maverick112
01-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Just wondering if it does, because im moving there and i want to see if it has fish in it?

baitfisher83
01-29-2011, 12:46 PM
I've been told MAcKenzie lake is one of the best ones in Calgary for private lakes...

pope
01-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Mackenzie towne, no. Those are storm water retention ponds.
Mackenzie Lake, yes.
Two different develpments.

AK47
01-29-2011, 02:04 PM
My friend lives in MT, he said he saw some fish schools swimming in those ponds.. must be suckers.

deepfried
01-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Im in Mackenzie Towne , no the storm ponds do not have fish in them. But Mackenzie Lake does have fish but its a private lake so you either have to live in Mackenzie Lake or know someone. I always said while living here they should throw some fish in there and even charge a small fee for a "fishing license" and use the profits for the neighbourhood or give it to charity or something along those lines , Im sure it would be an awesome thing for the children and parents of Mackenzie Towne to do on a summers day !!

cohod
02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Actually, there is quite a healthy population of gold fish in the Mackenzie towne pond at least the one along Mckenzie Towne Blvd and Deer foot. I have seen schools of them in the spring before the algae gets going I first noticed them about 4 or 5 years ago. I’m a bit surprised that the “bucket brigade” hasn’t stocked these ponds yet...

cohod

Sundancefisher
02-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Im in Mackenzie Towne , no the storm ponds do not have fish in them. But Mackenzie Lake does have fish but its a private lake so you either have to live in Mackenzie Lake or know someone. I always said while living here they should throw some fish in there and even charge a small fee for a "fishing license" and use the profits for the neighbourhood or give it to charity or something along those lines , Im sure it would be an awesome thing for the children and parents of Mackenzie Towne to do on a summers day !!

It is an uphill battle to stock those ponds.

I put a proposal into the government to consider stocking the large storm water pond behind the Shawnessy YMCA. I was proposing the stock with 12 inchers in the Spring and make it catch and release until Sept 1...then make it a 5 -10 trout limit. Basically clean em out before winter.

If everyone challenges the government bodies...municipal and provincial to consider stocking storm ponds...under the regulation I proposed above...then we could instantly increase the available fishing waters near Calgary while maintaining a recreational sport fishery versus a 1 week freezer stocking fishery.

I challenge everyone to email the suggestion to their aldermen and MLA's.

If enough ask for it...they should do it.

FishBrain
02-01-2011, 01:32 PM
There should be perch in the pond on mckenzie and deerfoot, I put about 30 of them in.

JOKING, JUST JOKING

commieboy
02-01-2011, 10:52 PM
It is an uphill battle to stock those ponds.

I put a proposal into the government to consider stocking the large storm water pond behind the Shawnessy YMCA. I was proposing the stock with 12 inchers in the Spring and make it catch and release until Sept 1...then make it a 5 -10 trout limit. Basically clean em out before winter.

If everyone challenges the government bodies...municipal and provincial to consider stocking storm ponds...under the regulation I proposed above...then we could instantly increase the available fishing waters near Calgary while maintaining a recreational sport fishery versus a 1 week freezer stocking fishery.

I challenge everyone to email the suggestion to their aldermen and MLA's.

If enough ask for it...they should do it.

I agree. Affirmative action can provoke change. I wonder if other bodies of water in Calgary would make viable sites for stocked fisheries. Eliston park? Any other suggestions?

slough shark
02-01-2011, 11:13 PM
yeah aliston park I would perhaps only look at catch and release there if the water is good from there as it is very close to the landfill. That is if the water is capable of holding fish due to potential pollution/ph levels