PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing costs

Geezle
01-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Wow, I was thinking about it, and i've spent quite a lot of money on ice fishing stuff this season. I did have a small amount of gear from last year, but last year I was pretty much only set up to tag along.

This year I wanted to set up so I could either get out on my own, or bring somebody else along who maybe isn't able to get out on their own (like me last year).

So far this season I've bought:

Tent - $160
6" hand auger - $25 (used)
8" hand auger - $100
Heater - $60
Tent floor - $25
Ice rod/reel - $25
Rod locker - $30
Tip-up - $20
Power auger - $75 (used - thanks Cal!!)

Some of those items aren't necessary (tent floor, rod locker, extra rod/reel) but they're nice things to have if you get out often enough.

On top of all that there's also propane for the heater, gas to get to the lake (at least $30/trip) bait and beverages.

Not including consumables I've probably dropped at least $500 on fishing stuff this season, and I haven't even gotten into any electronics yet :scared: The bright side is that most of this stuff will last me a long time, and next year should be a whole lot less expensive...either that or I'll find other stuff to spend my money on :sHa_sarcasticlol:

WayneChristie
01-31-2011, 07:46 AM
thats a lot of augers, do you use one for each hole? :sHa_sarcasticlol: I leave my manual in the truck just in case too. Ive dropped a bit on tents this winter, but 2 are returned/will be returned and the one I am keeping I got a great deal on, plus 95 for a fish tv on sale, well worth the money, the tv and the bigger tent both. Gas isnt such a biggie for me, if I wanted I could fish all winter 6 miles from my door, but I like to spread it out a bit for novelties sake. I dont have a long commute to work like I did in the city, 5 minutes versus up to 2 or 3 hours on bad days in the city, so I consider my fishing trip gas just a bonus since I used a tank a week in the city just for the commute anyways. Besides, money spent on fishing is money not spent on a shrink :bad_boys_20:

vettedreamer
01-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Besides, money spent on fishing is money not spent on a shrink .................HEAR HEAR

Geezle
01-31-2011, 08:10 AM
thats a lot of augers, do you use one for each hole? :sHa_sarcasticlol: I leave my manual in the truck just in case too. Ive dropped a bit on tents this winter, but 2 are returned/will be returned and the one I am keeping I got a great deal on, plus 95 for a fish tv on sale, well worth the money, the tv and the bigger tent both. Gas isnt such a biggie for me, if I wanted I could fish all winter 6 miles from my door, but I like to spread it out a bit for novelties sake. I dont have a long commute to work like I did in the city, 5 minutes versus up to 2 or 3 hours on bad days in the city, so I consider my fishing trip gas just a bonus since I used a tank a week in the city just for the commute anyways. Besides, money spent on fishing is money not spent on a shrink :bad_boys_20:

Yeah, that is a lot of augers :lol:

I picked up the 6" one before the season even started, and that was all good until I really got going on Wab and realized that the 6" hole just isn't going to cut it, so I picked up the 8" hand auger a couple weeks ago. Then Cal comes along and offers up a power auger for $75 which I would have been stupid to turn down...just picked that one up yesterday :cool:

I'm sure I'll thin out the auger herd soon enough, but for now I'll hang on to them until I decide what I want to do.

And you're absolutely right about money spent on fishing isn't money spent on a shrink. Fishing is my 'mental health' time :fishing:

sheepguide
01-31-2011, 08:42 AM
If you divide the cost of the gear by the number of trips in a year and then by the number of years that it lasts, then the cost is very very minimal.
And as far as fuel and such, I just look at it like if I wasnt spending it to go fishing I would just spend it on something else.
SG

buckmaster
01-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Wow, I was thinking about it, and i've spent quite a lot of money on ice fishing stuff this season. I did have a small amount of gear from last year, but last year I was pretty much only set up to tag along.

This year I wanted to set up so I could either get out on my own, or bring somebody else along who maybe isn't able to get out on their own (like me last year).

Tent - $160
8" hand auger - $100
Heater - $60
Tent floor - $25
Ice rod/reel - $25
Rod locker - $30
Tip-up - $20

Some of those items aren't necessary (tent floor, rod locker, extra rod/reel) but they're nice things to have if you get out often enough.

On top of all that there's also propane for the heater, gas to get to the lake (at least $30/trip) bait and beverages.

Not including consumables I've probably dropped at least $500 on fishing stuff this season, and I haven't even gotten into any electronics yet :scared: The bright side is that most of this stuff will last me a long time, and next year should be a whole lot less expensive...either that or I'll find other stuff to spend my money on :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Its a good thing you didnt get into hunting !!!

FishBrain
01-31-2011, 10:26 AM

Tent - $160
8" hand auger - $100
Heater - $60
Tent floor - $25
Ice rod/reel - $25
Rod locker - $30
Tip-up - $20

SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH, some of our wives read this forum you know!!!
MODS please delete this thread.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Newspeak
01-31-2011, 10:28 AM
To be honest; you bought all that stuff for ice fishing, but you don't need it to go ice fishing.

I managed to get by just fine for 2 years by buying only a $40 - 8inch auger and a $12 ice rod (Even this is not necessary) and dressing up in some warm clothes.

Just saying; those extras are nice, but ice fishing can be as cheap as you need it to be...

horsetrader
01-31-2011, 10:36 AM
To be honest; you bought all that stuff for ice fishing, but you don't need it to go ice fishing.

I managed to get by just fine for 2 years by buying only a $40 - 8inch auger and a $12 ice rod (Even this is not necessary) and dressing up in some warm clothes.

Just saying; those extras are nice, but ice fishing can be as cheap as you need it to be...

You can sleep on the floor cheaper to but a bed is far more comfortable...LOL

Newspeak
01-31-2011, 10:41 AM
You can sleep on the floor cheaper to but a bed is far more comfortable...LOL

But would not having a bed stop you from sleeping?

Hunter Trav
01-31-2011, 10:48 AM

Ice fishing on the cheep side of things just sucks...period!!! And like Fishbrain mentioned, this post should be removed so that our wives don't find out what we really spend on fishing...:D

aulrich
01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
The big plus is you skip the 30K for the boat.

Doing stuff generally cost money and while you could end up going nuts spending on icefishing too, it's relativily cheap to get into. And for guys who have kids getting rigged to run multiples is not that much more than just getting me going.

Just about any type of hunting is just about 1 for 1 cost wise.

And after this year the first running a tent I personally think a tent is a REALLY nice thing to have, maybe you don't need it but close.

chubbdarter
01-31-2011, 11:56 AM
The big plus is you skip the 30K for the boat.

Doing stuff generally cost money and while you could end up going nuts spending on icefishing too, it's relativily cheap to get into. And for guys who have kids getting rigged to run multiples is not that much more than just getting me going.

Just about any type of hunting is just about 1 for 1 cost wise.

And after this year the first running a tent I personally think a tent is a REALLY nice thing to have, maybe you don't need it but close.

i agree with you...but 2 snowmobiles will set you back 30k
im lucky my wife loves icefishing and icefishing toys

Hunter Trav
01-31-2011, 12:11 PM
im lucky my wife loves icefishing and icefishing toys

Damn you, how did you get lucky enough to find one that actually LIKES icefishing??? LOL

Teamprotz
01-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Put kids into hockey and dance , then look at how INEXPENSIVE ice fishing really is !!:scared0015:

chubbdarter
01-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Damn you, how did you get lucky enough to find one that actually LIKES icefishing??? LOL

big upgrade in all catagories.....lol

chubbdarter
01-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Put kids into hockey and dance , then look at how INEXPENSIVE ice fishing really is !!:scared0015:

wait till the 6 years of post secondary invoices arrive

mooseknuckle
01-31-2011, 12:35 PM

Tent - $160
8" hand auger - $100
Heater - $60
Tent floor - $25
Ice rod/reel - $25
Rod locker - $30
Tip-up - $20

Thats not too bad Jay. In perspective to other sports/hobbies. I enjoy golf and probably got 5-6 times last year but. You've spent approx $445 thats what I paid for one club!! All in last year I easily spent $2500+ just to swear a little white ball. LOL.

Drewski Canuck
01-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Really, if you have been married any length of time, you will by now know that you never justify things to the wife in terms of cost, it really is an investment. It will bring untold amount of free fish to the dinner table for the family, not to mention the fun the kids will have out with dad. In fact, its a family investment. Yeah, that's it, a family investment.

If you doubt my logic, prove me wrong.

Drewski

Jamie
01-31-2011, 12:51 PM

Hockey is cheap compared to Choir and Swiming.

Good lord who knew Swiming could be so expensive. I bet we are around $3,000 on the year.
Hockey will be around $1,500 this year.
Jamie

Garry B
01-31-2011, 12:53 PM

For sure. No hockey for us, but dance, some music and extra school tutoring. Yikes.

But seriously, I spent a whack getting geared up this year but like others said, once you have it it will last for a LONG time. Subsequent years will see much lower costs.

sheepguide
01-31-2011, 01:00 PM
i agree with you...but 2 snowmobiles will set you back 30k

hmm may wanna shop somewhere else if you spending $15000 on a sled for ice fishing LOL
SG

iliketrout
01-31-2011, 01:05 PM
I keep telling myself that subsequent years will be cheaper. But it never happens. Year 1, buy the essentials, year 2, buy the "nice-to-haves" year 3 buy the toys and gadgets, year 4, start over and upgrade :lol:

Gotta spend the money on something...

I've had my fair share of $500 fish (and geese/ducks for that matter).

Newspeak
01-31-2011, 01:11 PM
LOL. Sounds like some people prefer shopping to fishing.

chubbdarter
01-31-2011, 01:12 PM
hmm may wanna shop somewhere else if you spending $15000 on a sled for ice fishing LOL
SG

nope im very happy with the dealership i buy from

chubbdarter
01-31-2011, 01:16 PM
I keep telling myself that subsequent years will be cheaper. But it never happens. Year 1, buy the essentials, year 2, buy the "nice-to-haves" year 3 buy the toys and gadgets, year 4, start over and upgrade :lol:

Gotta spend the money on something...

I've had my fair share of $500 fish (and geese/ducks for that matter).

yup its like tv's .....its a never ending cylce to have the latest and greatest.....some new technology is kinda useless but how do you know unless you pay large.

p.s....i-trout....lets go waste some more money saturday on the trav

aulrich
01-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Yea I hear that, though I like to have a big "infrastructure" purchase this year it was the tent next year power auger, the year after might be a 2 man pop over tent because the first tent was big enough for all of us.

but yea the money keeps flowing.

iliketrout
01-31-2011, 01:25 PM

A tent makes it possible to fish in very cold weather, sight-fish, and get out of the wind. So, 5 minutes of shopping to increase the amount of fishable days in a winter...good investment in time and money. Try one out sometime.

chubbdarter
01-31-2011, 01:31 PM

i do enjoy wandering around a good tackle store

Kingfisher
01-31-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't count the money I spend on fishing. Fishing does many things for me. It gets me out of the urban jungle of the city. I hear so many people say that they hate the city. Yet they all work and live in the city. But don't even make an effort to get away from it on the weekends.

Why are there so many depressed people in this world today? I'll tell you why. Because they don't know that fishing will relieve tension and let a person escape from reality, even if only for a day. The only thing a person has to worry about when fishing is just where the fish might be and what to use to catch them.

So don't be so worried about what you spend on fishing equipment or getting to your fishing destination. Just go and enjoy it. Enjoy every minute of fishing. It's our escape. It's what keeps us sane.

Cheers,
Tight lines,
Rob

gui
01-31-2011, 01:49 PM
at least we spend the money on things we love to do and will do for years so its worth the money. its better than spend it all on booz or drugs or gambling, like that u got nothing to show for.

Braun
01-31-2011, 01:51 PM
geezle, i know what your talking about. I tried to set myself up that i could take someone with me who has no gear as well. this way i dont have to always rely on someone who has the gear but not the same timeslots as me.

6 rod / combos 25 a peice
6inch hand auger 50
tent 180
tackle 100-150
sled 40
heater 70
camera 200 (girlfriend loves fishing but would not do it in the cold without a camera)
misc 50
autofisherman 50

granted, some stuff was christmas gifts but still its alot of money for a college boy paying his own way through. could fish cheaper, but fishing cheaper sucks. i am to busy to risk getting sick when i go icefishing

and the silly part for me, i am already spending money and making plans for a massive project for open water..........

gui
01-31-2011, 01:51 PM
at least we spend that money on thing we love to do and will do for years so the money is worth it. its better than to spend it on drugs or alcohol or gambling cuz that way u got nothing to show for.

Newspeak
01-31-2011, 01:55 PM
A tent makes it possible to fish in very cold weather, sight-fish, and get out of the wind. So, 5 minutes of shopping to increase the amount of fishable days in a winter...good investment in time and money. Try one out sometime.

Uhh... thanks for the info? I have one. Never said they were a bad idea. Just unnecessary.

iliketrout
01-31-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't count the money I spend on fishing. Fishing does many things for me. It gets me out of the urban jungle of the city. I hear so many people say that they hate the city. Yet they all work and live in the city. But don't even make an effort to get away from it on the weekends.

Why are there so many depressed people in this world today? I'll tell you why. Because they don't know that fishing will relieve tension and let a person escape from reality, even if only for a day. The only thing a person has to worry about when fishing is just where the fish might be and what to use to catch them.

So don't be so worried about what you spend on fishing equipment or getting to your fishing destination. Just go and enjoy it. Enjoy every minute of fishing. It's our escape. It's what keeps us sane.

Cheers,
Tight lines,
Rob

Well said Rob!

horsetrader
01-31-2011, 02:18 PM
But would not having a bed stop you from sleeping?

At my age it not only would stop me from sleeping that night but also from walking the next day....LOL

chubbdarter
01-31-2011, 02:51 PM
At my age it not only would stop me from sleeping that night but also from walking the next day....LOL

yup and the older i get the more expensive the mattress i need....i see one of those magic beds in my near future....hit the button and im in the upright position

Teamprotz
01-31-2011, 02:53 PM
I swam for 12 years and don't remember it being that expensive ( as I never had to pay for anything ! ) Nothing is cheap entertainment anymore. As for post secondary , my girls would like to be dentists or doctors , my son wants to be a " sewer sucker . " Dare to dream !:sad0125: At least fishing , be it ice , from the boat or shore , gives me time with them , as my dad did for me. Costs don't seem to matter as much then.

chubbdarter
01-31-2011, 03:10 PM
I swam for 12 years and don't remember it being that expensive ( as I never had to pay for anything ! ) Nothing is cheap entertainment anymore. As for post secondary , my girls would like to be dentists or doctors , my son wants to be a " sewer sucker . " Dare to dream !:sad0125: At least fishing , be it ice , from the boat or shore , gives me time with them , as my dad did for me. Costs don't seem to matter as much then.

yes sir...your absolutely right......time with them is priceless.

i get a 747 buck cell phone bill from my little girl in university....but she calls to check on me every week and asks how the fishing is and says when warms up she wants to go with me.....i never even ask about the phone bill at that point...it just doesnt matter!!!!!!!!!.....lives get busy...lives go in different directions....dont try to price whats priceless.

and thanks DAD for what you spent on me....time and money

Newspeak
01-31-2011, 03:14 PM

Lol. Bad Analogy I guess...

chubbdarter
01-31-2011, 03:17 PM
out of curiousity i just scribbled down a list and estimated money spent on ice fishing.......someone else go first....lol babababhaawa

horsetrader
01-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Lol. Bad Analogy I guess...

Nooo my ANALogy works good it's my back.....:sHa_shakeshout:

knielson
01-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Markum Camera; $700
Ice Tent: $200
Clam Icefishing Chair: $70
Jiffy Pro 4: $700
Tip ups and lines:+/- $100
Bait: +/- $50/year
Beer: +/- $25/ Trip
Gas: +/- $20/trip
Derbies: +/- $100/year

Other Costs: +/- $200/year

Hot day on the hard water.....The best money I have ever spent.
Cold beer good friends and hot fishing is worth every dollar.

harrydude
01-31-2011, 04:52 PM
I would hate to look at the cost of enjoyment

but as stated better than drugs..or gambling

so the sky is the limit

grice
01-31-2011, 04:56 PM

Tent - $160
8" hand auger - $100
Heater - $60
Tent floor - $25
Ice rod/reel - $25
Rod locker - $30
Tip-up - $20

some new some old

Shack-$199
Auger-$325
Camera with mopod-$180
Heater-$65
rods n lures & misc -$200
old washer drum for fire pit (FREE)

also looking for a new grate to go over the fire pit, broke the last one.

slingshotz
01-31-2011, 05:20 PM

x2

Like the classic saying, work to live, not live to work. Unless you are one of the lucky few that truly love what you do for work. Fishing is relatively cheaper than when I used to mountain bike downhill, my downhill bike frame alone cost me $3k. Spending a few hundred bucks on some fishing electronics is pretty minor compared to that and is relatively expensive compared to the other fishing gear.

Now fly fishing can really be a big sinkhole of money..... (but I still love it!)

chubbdarter
01-31-2011, 05:59 PM
okay....not counting snowmobiles
850..augers
80..pull sled
800...frabil 3 man
900...rods and reels(5) and hard case
100....tip ups
500....Mlx5
500....vex
1000...2 cameras...pelican cases
1300...tackle
1100...floater suits
600....boots
300....ice fishing layering clothing..moisture wicking... gloves..misc.
60..... heater
75.....misc icegear..scoops,rod holders, propane
150.....bait
500...gps

dont add those numbers up

KFC priceless

Teamprotz
01-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Gotta keep those kids in school so they can support me and my habit when I get old !

Newspeak
01-31-2011, 06:40 PM
Budget Ice fishing:

Hand auger 8" Auger, Sale $40 at B.P
Skimmer - $10?
Ice rod - $15
Reel from my spinning rod $0
Tip up $25
Various lures/line $35 Only because I had few jigging lures..

= $125

= $30 - $50 for gas/bait per trip (That's like 2 people going to a movie and getting popcorn).

Layer up. Lots of layers, even on your head. (watch your feet though, better to have less layers than have it tight), and take some off when cutting holes. Bring a stool/camp chair/whatever, and try to keep your feet off the ice (piece of foamy works well). Or, if you have a truck, you can fish out of that ( I see people do that all the time)

Worked for me most weekends for 2 years, even on some very cold and windy days, and I never went home saying: "That sucked".
Just don't want anyone to think ice fishing HAS to be expensive. Would never begrudge someone for spending what they want on their passions, though.

Watch for future posts on how to make pontoon boats outta garbage bags. =P

horsetrader
01-31-2011, 06:44 PM
Budget Ice fishing:

Hand auger 8" Auger, Sale $40 at B.P
Skimmer - $10?
Ice rod - $15
Reel from my spinning rod $0
Tip up $25
Various lures/line $35 Only because I had few jigging lures..

= $125

= $30 - $50 for gas/bait per trip (That's like 2 people going to a movie and getting popcorn).

Layer up. Lots of layers, even on your head. (watch your feet though, better to have less layers than have it tight), and take some off when cutting holes. Bring a stool/camp chair/whatever, and try to keep your feet off the ice (piece of foamy works well). Or, if you have a truck, you can fish out of that ( I see people do that all the time)

Worked for me most weekends for 2 years, even on some very cold and windy days, and I never went home saying: "that sucked".
Just don't want anyone to think ice fishing HAS to be expensive.

Watch for future posts on how to make pontoon boats outta garbage bags. =P

You could save $10 on the skimmer just use the wife's pasta strainer :)

Newspeak
01-31-2011, 06:53 PM
^^

She was cooking with it that night and slapped my hand away.

WayneChristie
01-31-2011, 09:58 PM

Cheers,
Tight lines,
Rob

you said it Rob, Im one of the fortunate few who both escaped from the crazy city but also found a good job I like very close to home, and a ton of places to fish nearby. still dont think its helped much with the sanity, but sanity is highly overrated :bad_boys_20:

New Hunter Okotoks
01-31-2011, 11:02 PM
This all must be put into perspective. I used to spend a ton of cash on booze,smokes and gambling.(Current cost is 0.) With the gambling included, I would really hate to add up what a years spending used to cost. Ice fishing compared to the other stuff is VERY inexpensive. (for me)

I used to have another expensive hobby years ago but it just doesn't seem worth it anymore with 2 kids. I am a recovering audiophile! I have been completely clean of high quality music since 2001. Some guys will spend more on speaker wire than we spend on a high end power auger.

hockey1099
02-01-2011, 12:59 AM
in 2009/10 i bought the following:

Eskimo Quick fish 3 $200.00
Eskimo Mako Auger" $300.00
Portable buddy heater $100.00
6 rod/reel combos: $150
Sled $100.00
This year i went nuts:

Eskimo Quick fish 6 $350.00
Marcum 625 camera $560.00
Marcum Lx-3 $400.00
Sunflower Heater $60
Lanturn for tent $70

Still need

Snow mobile

Geezle
02-01-2011, 07:08 AM
If you divide the cost of the gear by the number of trips in a year and then by the number of years that it lasts, then the cost is very very minimal.
And as far as fuel and such, I just look at it like if I wasnt spending it to go fishing I would just spend it on something else.
SG
This is very true, and with any luck the stuff I have should last several years before it needs to be replaced...like somebody else mentioned, for the amount of fishing I do, I really do look at it as an investment :)

Its a good thing you didnt get into hunting !!!
I still want to if I can pull myself away from fishing for long enough :o

SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH, some of our wives read this forum you know!!!
MODS please delete this thread.:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Mine doesn't read the forum :)

True, but there does come a time where 'getting by' just doesn't cut it and it limits your options. Without the tent/heater there's no way I would have gone out yesterday. I also couldn't imagine sitting out in the open in the dark for some evening burb fishing, no matter how many layers I'm wearing.

Maybe I've become spoiled, but I enjoy being able to sit and fish in comfort in just my sweater with the sleeves rolled up :)

Newspeak
02-01-2011, 10:03 AM
^^

Being comfortable is never overrated! And I'd don’t consider it being spoiled by a long shot.

This is my first year with a tent, maybe I’ll break down and get a heater if I can find a good deal. But what to do with all my warm clothes then? =)

As for night fishing the Burbs without a tent, I've been there a number of times. It's really no different, except the addition of some amazing star shows!

BTW Geezle, what did you do for a tent floor for $25?? Just a tarp? I have a 3 man pop up shelter, that could use one....

Newspeak
02-01-2011, 10:08 AM
BTW Geezle, what did you do for a tent floor for $25?? Just a tarp? I have a 3 man pop up shelter, that could use one....

Ah, nevermind, I think I see from your Wab update...

FishBrain
02-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Mine doesn't read the forum :)

Neither does mine, but friends of mine on here do have wives that read this, and I would like to be able to continue fishing with them. LMAO

I am not to sure what I spent, some was XMas gifts and most stuff bought on sale!!
I look at my biggest cost being fuel. Not very many good fishing places within walking distance from my house.

iliketrout
02-01-2011, 11:11 AM
maybe I’ll break down and get a heater if I can find a good deal

Princess Auto has all their buddy brand heaters on sale right now. You can get a sunflower for less than $50 this week. Not sure where you're at but I know the south Calgary one was sold out so you should act quick if you want one.

Newspeak
02-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Appreciate it, thanks!

I’m 2 mins down the road from the south Princess auto (@ Work), so that kind of sucks that they are sold out. But if I have to wait till next season, I wont be too heartbroken.

Geezle
02-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Ah, nevermind, I think I see from your Wab update...

Yeah, it's just an anti-fatigue mat from Home Depot. Came in a 3x3 square, but it cut it up to suit my needs a little better...I also like to wedge my rod holders in/under it so they don't get ganked down the hole!

Newspeak
02-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Looks good, keeps you insulated from the ice & drains away any water. I like it.

Geezle
02-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Looks good, keeps you insulated from the ice & drains away any water. I like it.

Good for traction as well when you're on the slick stuff :)

coorslight
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
okay....not counting snowmobiles
850..augers
80..pull sled
800...frabil 3 man
900...rods and reels(5) and hard case
100....tip ups
500....Mlx5
500....vex
1000...2 cameras...pelican cases
1300...tackle
1100...floater suits
600....boots
300....ice fishing layering clothing..moisture wicking... gloves..misc.
60..... heater
75.....misc icegear..scoops,rod holders, propane
150.....bait
500...gps

dont add those numbers up

KFC priceless

Your one of those guys that loves to have all the sweetest stuff more then anythiing it seems like we got home made rods and rod holders our fisrt tents were home made and our auger and catch fish because we know where they are and have our ways about it just like everyone else

Graffy91
02-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Hockey is cheap compared to Choir and Swiming.

Good lord who knew Swiming could be so expensive. I bet we are around $3,000 on the year.
Hockey will be around $1,500 this year.
Jamie

Depends what type of hockey you play, and especially for a goalie like me.

I play CAC and its a arm and a leg to play triple A... Shame I broke my ankle during my WHL draft year. :(

FishingMOM
02-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Heck you aint spent Nothing yet

Day 1 of ice fishing I wrote off a 2010 vehicle.
that cost me almost 30K

Newspeak
02-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Ouch.

thorne
02-02-2011, 04:00 PM
GEEZLE!! For the love of god get help befor its to late! Befor you end up.........like me! I use to be a mild user...$200.00-$300.00 a year in fishing gear...then slowly it grew to $500.000 then $1000.00 then.....well you know, you've seen it....I just can't stop!:sign0176:

Soon I was working over time...taking jobs out of town for months on end....what ever it took to get the next new, top of the line, outrageously overpriced thingy!!! I need help, I know it....but its just so hard to say no!!! The fisihng hole is constantly sending me fliers and E-Mails beckening me to sample its wares....every time I turn on the TV it s there....River Monsters, Fishing Shows, Capt. Highliner Commercials...everything to make your whole being scream for the next HIT......FISH ON !!!!!! Stop the maddness Jay befor its to late....SAVE YOURSELF!!

BTW...See ya on the ice Sat!!:sHa_shakeshout:

AbProwler
02-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Heck you aint spent Nothing yet

Day 1 of ice fishing I wrote off a 2010 vehicle.
that cost me almost 30K

Drop it through or collision? If you dropped it through, I hope you had the ice coverage. I pay for the floater on all my vehicles, I think it less than $50.00 a year. Course, I am older than dirt also!

Daceminnow
02-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Drop it through or collision? If you dropped it through, I hope you had the ice coverage. I pay for the floater on all my vehicles, I think it less than $50.00 a year. Course, I am older than dirt also!

seriously "ice coverage". i've always been told there's no such thing. drop her thru and suffer the costs?

FishingMOM
02-02-2011, 05:33 PM

Collision!
But once I was done getting a loaner, we were on the ice, 2-3 hours later than planned.

I dont dare drive on ice.
Nope not me. If I can't get on the ice without a vehicle I shouldnt be out there.

iliketrout
02-02-2011, 09:55 PM
seriously "ice coverage". i've always been told there's no such thing. drop her thru and suffer the costs?
http://www.finance.alberta.ca/publications/insurance/standard_automobile_policy_2007.pdf

When I called my insurance company (meloche monnex) they told me all insurers in Alberta had to follow The Alberta Standard Automobile Policy. On page 10, there is a section called specified perils. Included in that is sinking. So as long as you have specified perils, you should be covered. Worth calling your insurance provider to find out for sure if you have it.

Another one of my fishing buddies called his provider (different company) and was told the same thing.

Daceminnow
02-02-2011, 10:09 PM
http://www.finance.alberta.ca/publications/insurance/standard_automobile_policy_2007.pdf

When I called my insurance company (meloche monnex) they told me all insurers in Alberta had to follow The Alberta Standard Automobile Policy. On page 10, there is a section called specified perils. Included in that is sinking. So as long as you have specified perils, you should be covered. Worth calling your insurance provider to find out for sure if you have it.

Another one of my fishing buddies called his provider (different company) and was told the same thing.

trout

thanks for the research. it's there in black & white "sinking" just need to inquire how they define it. ex. washed away in a flood? gonna revisit with my agent.

Dace

chubbdarter
02-02-2011, 10:17 PM
All perils is the caddilac of section C coverage and covers this kind of loss

Specified Perils covers you if your truck is on a conveyance....if your truck is on a ferry and sinks its covered....if your truck is on a trailer on the lake and sinks your covered. other wise NO coverage.

comprehensive will cover a truck going thru the ice

iliketrout
02-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Yeah I asked about the conveyance wording in specified perils and they told me specified perils would also cover going through the ice. Maybe I just got someone not entirely familiar with it.

Regardless I got all perils so I know I'm covered.