PDA

View Full Version : pontoon boats

shamdalee
01-31-2011, 02:41 PM
looking at purchase a pontoon boat is the colorado xt at WSSports any
good and what else should I be aware of.
Thanks all.

chubbdarter
01-31-2011, 02:57 PM
this link might help you
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/index.ep

dont tell anyone on this site you are shopping......someone will suggest you blow up 2 garbage bags,tie them to a shopping cart and make your own pontoon boat.

pipco
01-31-2011, 04:51 PM
shamdalee,

Take two heavy duty garbage bags and a couple pieces of conduit. Then take some Saskatchewan chrome (duct tape) and ....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Seriously. Anyone I've ever spoken to has good things to say about Fishcat products. We own two and a friend of mine also has one. I've never had any problems with the valves, frame or pontoons. They are well made and sturdy.

Stay away from Water Skeeter. We wore parts on ours out in three years of use and apparently they are now out of business. So no replacement parts or customer service.
I'm not familiar with the Colorado xt so can't say much about it.

happy shopping!
stan

slingshotz
01-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Don't know much about them but they got good user reviews on Cabelas. I'd second the Fish Cats if you want an alternative.

skykomish sunrise
01-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Spend the extra coin and buy a scadden boat. Lifetime warranties... Standing platform....gas motor friendly. I have a couple... One u style and one pontoon. Both are amazing and customer service can't be beat. www.northforkoutdoors.com

horsetrader
01-31-2011, 06:39 PM
We had 2 fish cat ir9's sold them a couple years a go when I thought I would be happy with just my 17' boat kicked myself in the azz ever since they are great
easy to use,light,will go anyplace,almost indestructible and don't care who you are you can't flip them. awesome for fishing and also fantastic for just floating down a river for fun,even swam out of it.

greylynx
01-31-2011, 06:44 PM
I have an old Leigh aluminum pipe outfit that is 12 years old. Do those aluminum welds break easily?

Skinner
01-31-2011, 07:11 PM
I have the colorado xt and personally think its the best out there for one reason. The motor mount is mounted on the side and not straight behind the seat. This might not be a good feature for some but I have tried both styles with a electric motor and it is way easier to steer. If your gonna use a motor then get this boat.

horsetrader
01-31-2011, 10:01 PM
I have the colorado xt and personally think its the best out there for one reason. The motor mount is mounted on the side and not straight behind the seat. This might not be a good feature for some but I have tried both styles with a electric motor and it is way easier to steer. If your gonna use a motor then get this boat.

You are right there Skinner I added a 2x4 to my mount and let it off set to the side for that reason, was to hard with motor directly behind your head,
It was an easy fix.

slingshotz
01-31-2011, 10:07 PM
You are right there Skinner I added a 2x4 to my mount and let it off set to the side for that reason, was to hard with motor directly behind your head,
It was an easy fix.

Any chance you have a photo you can PM or post? That's the only thing I found frustrating with the motor mount behind you as it's impossible to steer and fish. Was trying to figure out a way to rig up some steering ropes or a rudder but never thought about side mounting it.

horsetrader
01-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Any chance you have a photo you can PM or post? That's the only thing I found frustrating with the motor mount behind you as it's impossible to steer and fish. Was trying to figure out a way to rig up some steering ropes or a rudder but never thought about side mounting it.

Sold them couple years ago but will look on old computer and see if I still have pics
Also seen I guy who made a mount on the front so motor was between his legs and worked like a bow mount.

WayneChristie
01-31-2011, 10:36 PM
We got into pontooning last summer and love them. I have a motormount I made for the canoe that Im going to try out in spring to offset it, great idea! Its really hard to control an electric thats behind you. Prepare for the odd fish in your lap, all part of the excitement, especially if its a big pike!:scared0018:

WaterSkeeter
02-05-2011, 10:58 AM
I have the fishcat panther, GREAT for drifting rivers and wicked on the lakes. the dual pontoons on each side are great to have, heard lots of storys of guys popping one but theirs the other one beside it to keep you afloat

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/products/default.aspx?id=33

DirkDiggler
02-05-2011, 04:51 PM
I purchased a Colorado xt last year and I am very satisfied with it. It is a little heavier than my bubbies Water Skeeter however I still got around with it ok because of the removeable transport wheel. It has more storage options with the removeable bags and stripping basket and motor mount/basket. I have used it on river floats as well as still water fishing using a trolling motor/fins it was great. It brings a new dimention to fishing when floating down a river catching Browns on the fly at difficult sections of river only accessable by drift boat/pontoon. The boat is quite durable, stiff frame, strong oars/oar locks. If you can get this boat for a good price, get it! I promise you will not regret it.

Outbound
02-05-2011, 05:17 PM
you really can't go wrong with Fish Cat or Outcast (same brand). i have a Fish Cat Cougar that i bought new and have used hard for almost 5 years. i've run class 3 whitewater in it. maybe not the brightest idea, but it did just fine. i love the quad pontoon design.

any of Fish Cat's products are a good bet. i've used Water Skeeter and Buck's Bags boats as well. Although they're decent boats, Fish Cat/Outcast has always seemed more solid and better built.