PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy Pro 4 Propane 4 Stroke 10' Auger

knielson
01-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Just an FYI for anyone looking to purchase a new auger... I got the new Jiffy Pro 4 for Christmas, had some bad luck as when I got it the gear casing was broke. Had no luck with any waranty in Lethbridge but got in touch with Jiffy USA directly (Jeff) and he was excellent sent me a new power head ( returning old one) and had it out on Keho on Saturday. For all those folks who think that a propane auger will not start in the cold your wrong. -20 with wind chill about -25 or so first or second pull everytime started right up. Left it on the ice for about 3 hours with tank on and second pull fired right up. Cut through about 30" of ice like butter and never missed a beat. I have heard lots of horror stories of the new Jiffy gas motor augers not running but at this time I am giving the New Pro 4 two thumbs up......

Also this must have been the lucky auger as between 10am till 2:30pm or so we could not keep the pike off. Nothing big 3 or 4 keepers and lots of 60 to 62cm ones. I would say that this was probably one of the hottest days on the ice I have ever had.

See you all at Badger, and if you want to come and see this auger work just drop me a line.

These augers are only available in the US at this time.

Kyle.

chubbdarter
01-31-2011, 04:52 PM
i believe you about propane....snowmobiles have proven they run in cold weather

whats the cost?
the wgt.?

Walleyes
01-31-2011, 05:17 PM
They definetly look like an awesome machine,, wish they would have had them out 2 years ago when I bought my new 10".. My only concern would be the life of the engine. Without any oil lubing the rings I wonder if they won't tend to dry out and wear prematualy ???

I wouldn't hesitate to pull the plug once and a while and give the head a couple good squirts of WD,, sure wouldn't hurt I don't think...

pikester
01-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the update as I have been quietly wondering about the legitamacy of these propane units since I first heard of them! The thought of no more mixing fuel or slopping gas on my hands or tailgate sounds almost too good to be true :) If I continue to hear good things about these augers I may trade my gas pig in for one next season ;)

chubbdarter
01-31-2011, 05:26 PM
They definetly look like an awesome machine,, wish they would have had them out 2 years ago when I bought my new 10".. My only concern would be the life of the engine. Without any oil lubing the rings I wonder if they won't tend to dry out and wear prematualy ???

I wouldn't hesitate to pull the plug once and a while and give the head a couple good squirts of WD,, sure wouldn't hurt I don't think...

maybe im missing something...its a4 stroke isnt it...it has a crank oil bath? just like a truck or car engine

Walleyes
01-31-2011, 05:40 PM
maybe im missing something...its a4 stroke isnt it...it has a crank oil bath? just like a truck or car engine

Ooops yah your right on that one chubbdarter ,,, my miss on the 4 stroker.. I would think it would be crank lubed anyways.. Good call..

New Hunter Okotoks
01-31-2011, 11:09 PM
That's good to hear about the propane. I think some(including myself) just had bad experiences with propane engines of other sorts in the cold weather.
I think you must have fished in the same spot at Keho that I did a week ago LOL! We went through a ton of baits but had trouble getting hooked up.The ones we viewed on the camera would nudge the bait around and grab where there was no hook and swim off. Those pike are edumicated! The ones we did get were all just a wee bit shy of legal as well.

knielson
02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
The landed cost into Coalhust AB was about $700 including freight out of Minesota.

chubbdarter
02-01-2011, 12:41 PM
The landed cost into Coalhust AB was about $700 including freight out of Minesota.

wow thats very reasonable for new technology...thanks

New Hunter Okotoks
02-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Just curious as to how many holes you can drill with a 1lb cylinder.

It must be nice not stinking like 2 stroke oil after drilling a bunch of holes! LOL!

knielson
02-01-2011, 01:35 PM
They say about 70 holes be 1lbs

archercurt
02-01-2011, 08:39 PM

its a 4 stroke.....so it will have oil in the crank case id imagine

Jiffy10
02-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Wow! for $700 you should be able to drive it around on the lake after
it makes you lunch.

I Checked it out on you tube
I guess the idea is it that there is no fuel to spill etc./ convenience
cleaner emmisions etc .
Sounds real smooth.

4 stoke on propane.... cant imagine you would EVER wear it out .

Nice unit. Wish I could afford one..

Hank Hill would be Proud that it runs on Propane...