PDA

View Full Version : McDonalds Fly shop

Loki610
01-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Just wondering if anyone on this forum ever stopped at a little fly shop in Westwold BC? It was owned by my father Reginald Jensen who died maybe 15 years ago. I never knew the man but I inherited his equipment and several nice custom fly rods when he passed. Just wondering if anyone had any tales of personal experience with the man?

tallieho
02-01-2011, 08:54 AM
well;he was a very good teller of tales..the one that brings to mind .was we were in the store,when a couple of new flyguys came in.your dad sold them a map of the region.he was particular to ask what they were fishing from[p-toon/b-boat]..well said he if you guys want to catch large fish & don't mind bears,you should try jimmy lake.by then these guys were all ears ,big fish,great scenery.then came the yarn.if you guys do catch a big one ,you'll really have to watch,that it doesn't jump to much/fight to long.because it will attract the resident bear,he likes to swim out to float tubers & rob them of there catch.oh & did i tell you it's a 9'-0 grizzly..be safe out there & thanks for your busness

Kingfisher
02-04-2011, 01:50 AM
Hell ya I went there often. I used to live in Vernon and always stopped by on my way to Pinaus, Salmon, Jimmy, Bolean, and the other lakes around the area. It's where I first bought my flies when I started fly fishing in 1979. The biggest problem with stopping there was that you were never out of there in a hurry. He always had great information and a good fish story to two to tell you.

I clearly remember him telling me one time to try using a Tom Thumb. Ya right I said to him. That will never catch any fish. That day my wife (girl friend at the time) was with me. We went to Pillar Lake near Falkland. He told us to go there and try the fly there. I reluctantly put on that Tom Thumb. I was into fish the whole day. Nothing huge. But plenty of action. My wife even put one onto her spinning rod and caught fish too.

Rob

courtice1
06-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Would Reginald Jensen been born in Port Arthur (Thunder Bay) Ontario? Do you know if his parents were Oscar and Yvonne Jensen and if he had 3 brothers die. Randy Jensen 3rd brother to die in 1977.

Get back to me pls!

Lornce
06-02-2012, 10:16 AM
I grew up in Kelowna and tied flies for a number of shops in the interior of BC including an awful lot for Reg. Was a nice guy and we often shared a coffee and a wee dram on a rainy day after I had delivered a batch of flies. Still have a great old glass Fenwick fly rod that he sold me. I hand painted a sign for him for his shop.

He was also one of the few guys I trusted to do business with a handshake alone. Different times then.

Loki610
06-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Would Reginald Jensen been born in Port Arthur (Thunder Bay) Ontario? Do you know if his parents were Oscar and Yvonne Jensen and if he had 3 brothers die. Randy Jensen 3rd brother to die in 1977.

Get back to me pls!

Nope different guy. This Reg was born in Vancouver and has only 1 half brother

Woolyman
12-31-2013, 10:26 PM
As i type this i am actually in the old fly shop my parents bought the place about 7 or so years ago

Lornce
01-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Would love it if you sent me a picture of the shop.

58thecat
01-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Heck I do not know any of you folks and you got me hook, line and sinker on this thread. Please share pictures and more stories with all of us. Thanks.

Woolyman
01-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Sorry i was already back in Calgary when i saw your message. I did dig up a picture when my parents moved in about 7 years ago. not sure how to upload two pics on the same post so i'll upload the second pic on another post.

Woolyman
01-04-2014, 09:11 AM
more pics. if anybody has any more info on this place, I would be greatly thankful for learn more about it.

Woolyman
01-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Sorry I forgot to say why i am looking for history of this place and westwold. I am going to be restoring the fly shop back to its original state

Lornce
01-04-2014, 07:53 PM
yep that's the place, the front door looks different and there where wooden fly fins across one wall and a pot bellied stove like the one I had in my fly shop.

brianscott
01-05-2014, 02:36 PM
By chance is there and link between the Mcdonald family in Westwold and this fly shop?

Loki610
01-23-2014, 08:53 AM
I'll try to dig up some of our photos from the 80's from when I was a kid there. Pretty cool that you got the place!

Woolyman
01-23-2014, 09:04 AM
Thanks Loki610. that would be awesome if you could find some pictures. It would make it easier to restore the flyshop. Any information on the shop would be greatly appreciated. :)

Loki610
01-27-2014, 08:44 AM
I've scanned some photos of the outside of the shop, as well as a old price list.
Send me your email and I'll send em off.

Loki610
01-27-2014, 08:59 AM
http://i.imgur.com/XbrLOxr.jpg

tranq78
01-27-2014, 10:11 AM
more pics. if anybody has any more info on this place, I would be greatly thankful for learn more about it.

I sure do know that place! Used to live in Vernon. We did business with the old owner, too.

You always had to slow down when you hit Westwold because of the turn in the highway.

Woolyman
01-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks Loki610. these are awesome. my email is woolmand@gmail.com