PDA

View Full Version : Water under snow on Spray lakes_Your 0.2 Cents!

Chukar Hunter
02-01-2011, 08:02 AM
I was out on Spray last Friday around Sparrowhawk and for the first time ever, encountered 6" of water not just close to shore, but ALL over the ice under a foot of snow. We were 1 km from the Smith Dorian trail out on the lake. My hunch is that the water is due to the melting of adjacent streams/snow because of the warm weather and then it stayed there, insulated by the fresh snow on top. It was not a comfortable feeling to say the least. I want to know if this is a cause for concern, even though every hole we augered went thru 2 ft of ice. Your 0.2 cents is appreciated.

horsetrader
02-01-2011, 08:41 AM
I was out on Spray last Friday around Sparrowhawk and for the first time ever, encountered 6" of water not just close to shore, but ALL over the ice under a foot of snow. We were 1 km from the Smith Dorian trail out on the lake. My hunch is that the water is due to the melting of adjacent streams/snow because of the warm weather and then it stayed there, insulated by the fresh snow on top. It was not a comfortable feeling to say the least. I want to know if this is a cause for concern, even though every hole we augered went thru 2 ft of ice. Your 0.2 cents is appreciated.

The water is flood water the weight of the snow on the ice pushes down forcing water up through cracks and holes in the ice. This does not interfere with the integrity of the ice.

mayuan
02-01-2011, 08:58 AM
The water is all frozen as of sunday.