PDA

View Full Version : Insight to fishing in Mazatlan

summit151
02-01-2011, 12:21 PM
We are heading to Mazatlan on Friday. We would like to do some fishing while we are there. I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide me with some insight pertaining to which charter to go with, what to expect/watch out for and what type of fish are in season. Any feed back is very much appreciated.

aulrich
02-01-2011, 01:53 PM
I am heading down next month we were going to go to PV but Mazatlan caught our eye because of the number of fishing options it has. I will be going down rigged to surf fish, our resort is out of town so the idea of wandering a beach with a fishing rod is too appealing. This is my first time out there so I have no direct experience but your general options are:

Bass fresh water
Surfcasting
Panga (small inshore fishing) and might need your own gear not sure
Offshore

Last time I got on to a party boat in PV but catching pike sized fish with boat winches was underwealming.

WABBIT
02-01-2011, 05:49 PM
When I fished Mazatlan years ago Bill Heimpel's Starfleet was the best charter outfit. They gave you your moneys worth and the equipment was well maintained. You might want to go down to the sportfishing dock around 2oclock in the afternoon and see what is coming in, and check them out. They didn't book through beach vendors, when I was last there. Good luck

seahawkfisher
02-01-2011, 08:23 PM
fishing in MAZ (and PVR for that matter) is pretty good this time of year (well, over xmas anyways). i, however would not go with deep sea tho; personal preference as ppl that do it do well - bottom fishing can be non stop and that's what i like (also, the better half doesnt care to spend 8-10 hrs on a boat; 4hrs is a pretty easy sell). go out of the new, El Cid marina as there are newer boats and they are closer to the better spots. we usually take a super panga; the ones we went out on in maz were rigged with twin 150's that were launching the boat clear out of the water by a few feet which was a blast. they also have a head which is a welcome feature for the ladies. we booked right on the beach and got the whole boat for 200 bucks and ended up being on the water for 5 hours. don't know the name of the fleet, but the boats were very new as was the equipment. bring food and beer, as not all charters provide.

have fun

ps, the evening fish and supper cruise is a good time too
cheers

FlYiNGuY
02-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Hey Summit151, Shoot me a pm, The family has a townhouse in Mazatlan and I've been out fishing a bunch of times.

Go with Chappy Chapman. He is the owner of Inside Outside Charters and is a fishing fanatic!, I've got a review posted on trip advisor on one of my trips out, just search insideoutside.

Depending on what type of fishing your into he will hook you up, hes got the best tackle in town and decent boats. I prefer inshore fishing - cause there is way more action. Some roosters might be in town ( large ones don't show up until summer months) there should be some schools of jack crevelle around which is tonnes of fun gunnin around pitching top water raps to them.
If your thing is the offshore deal then he can still make it happen, I haven't done that with him yet, as most times I'm there I'm chasing inshore fun. For Marlin I go to Cabo - not as far to travel out to the bluewater as compared to MAZ. You can still take a marlin in Maz but its mostly stripers, and only certain times of the year - I know 2 were boated last week in Maz the same day, (for Maz thats a good day).
and of course there is always the chance of sails, and Dorado too.

Anyways - Any questions shoot me a PM. - if your interested in setting something up with him let me know I'll fwd your name and he should give you atleast 15% off. (again usually not hard to do in Mexico). and if your looking for someone cheaper ( out of the old marina - older boats, etc,etc. I can give you that info too.

if nothing else, have a good trip, and I expect a fishing report!

Cheers.

FlYiNGuY
02-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I am heading down next month we were going to go to PV but Mazatlan caught our eye because of the number of fishing options it has. I will be going down rigged to surf fish, our resort is out of town so the idea of wandering a beach with a fishing rod is too appealing. This is my first time out there so I have no direct experience but your general options are:

Bass fresh water
Surfcasting
Panga (small inshore fishing) and might need your own gear not sure
Offshore

Last time I got on to a party boat in PV but catching pike sized fish with boat winches was underwealming.

Just a couple things if your surf casting out of town, Be careful, talk to the locals and make sure its safe to do so, Sinaloa is not the most "user friendly" state right now, you will find yourself paying "tourist fees" and other fun things. not saying don't do it, (Roosters love the surf!) and it will be a tonne of fun, but be safe. (not sure what you mean by out of town either, I call the RIU out of town but I'm positive you would be fine there!,) There is a good rock point there be sure to try it out

Also if you go bass fishing let me know what prices you can swindle right now, last time I checked it was around 5-6 bills a day. pricey day for Bass.

summit151
02-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Ok thanks for the help guys :)

aulrich
02-04-2011, 01:38 PM
We are staying at the RIU and for a gringo that only knows how to order beer in spanish that is about as far out of town I'll venture. The up side is as far as I can tell from google maps the beach to the north is pretty empty. the resort is close to a pretty prominate rock point and that can't be too bad.With luck I may be able to line up local help we have friends that snow bird down that I might be able to arrange through there, but that is 50/50 at best.

The more I had been reading I think out one trip on a boat will be on a panga I have been hearing about the bass charter prices as well and it's just not that appealing.

FlYiNGuY
02-04-2011, 03:43 PM
We are staying at the RIU and for a gringo that only knows how to order beer in spanish that is about as far out of town I'll venture. The up side is as far as I can tell from google maps the beach to the north is pretty empty. the resort is close to a pretty prominate rock point and that can't be too bad.With luck I may be able to line up local help we have friends that snow bird down that I might be able to arrange through there, but that is 50/50 at best.

The more I had been reading I think out one trip on a boat will be on a panga I have been hearing about the bass charter prices as well and it's just not that appealing.

Sounds like fun!, Check out insdideoutside charters for the panga, They are in the new marina on the north side that is super close to the RUI.
The beach just to the north of the RIU is good for some roosters and if you can pitch far enough you may get into a crevelle or two.
I've seen a guy spear fishing on that rock point just in front of the RIU (to the right) not sure how he made out but looked interesting!.
Enjoy!!

aulrich
02-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Distance thats what I am hoping, I am not sure if I am going for the full on 15' rod or the more manageable 12', I understand run right you could get 100-150 yards out of them.

I have my eye on an reel just as impressive as those bit surf rods those reels are big and fast. the on I am looking at takes in 53" of line per turn and that's not the fasted out there.

This is what got me interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT7gBfT_0AY

1shotwade
02-04-2011, 04:12 PM
We have a condo at the costa bonita to the left of the RIU about a 1/4 mile! We always watch people fish along that stretch of and they seem to do really well! We always hire super panga out of the new marina and catch loads of fish have fun and do not hire from a vendor go down to the marina and talk to the guys around noon!

redranger15
02-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Me and the wife ended up meeting a local guy and asked if he could take us fishing were he did. Took him our for super that night and he showed us around. Made plans for him to meet us first thing in the a.m. Sure enough he was waiting in the golf car cab in front of our hotel. We ended going to some old local fish market and picking some choped up squid. Pretty wild trip there and some very cool fish on the tables. Got quite a few looks from the locals as we were the only white muscel shirts to be seen. There was tons of shrimp boats and I guess this was all the fish that was in the wrong place ot the wrong time. Even seen a guy walking with a blow fish.
A couple other local guys came and picked us up in there I'm guessing around a 20 footer and we were off. We went out passed the rock break for the cruize ships to a little rock island where the waves crashed on it. They put down the anchor and pulled out there plastic pop bottles with the line wrapped around them with a J-hook. Glob of squid and down it went. Wasn,t long nefore we were pulling in all kinds of fish. Ugly ones, rainbow colored ones, never sure what you were going to pull up. You could see some of them swimming under the boat. Some schools of some sore of big fish were swimmimg all around us at the surface, but couldn't get them to bite.
They kept them all and cleaned them on the ride in. I puked:sick: because of the huge rollers and the wife was turning green so we only fished for about an hour and a half. It was great to fish like the locals do. We gave then I think it was around a 100 bucks US and they were really happy.
Just a warning that if you go out for shark or marlin you go way out and if you get a little green it's a long ride home. Also as a side note if it's your first time there and you have a kitchenette. Make sure you go the the street that has all the shrimp vendors. If I recall it was a couple blocks to the north of the big market down town. Make sure they don't fill your bag with lots of water. We filled up the sink with ton's of jumbo shrimp and lobster tails. Find one that will sell you the tails only as that's all you eat. You can bring lots home as lond as they are frozen. I brought home a Labbat beer coller full as my carry on.
Sorry for the long read , if you want any more info send me a PM. Can't seem to get the piks of my disk:angry3: