PDA

View Full Version : 8" Strikemaster Lazer blade sharpening

MoFugger21
02-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anybody knows of a place or two a guy can take these blades to get sharpened? Anywhere in or around Lethbridge would be preferred.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/MoFugger21/lazer_handblades.jpg

The problem seems to be the curve to the blade, as I had no luck finding someone down here to do some 8" Eskimo blades that are curved. Hopefully someone knows, or has experience, getting the curved Strikemaster blades sharpened.

Thanks

chubbdarter
02-01-2011, 12:44 PM
only place ive been told that does a good job...is the SM blade exchange program directly from SM

dwedmon
02-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I tired to find someone to do my blades last year and gave up. Either try the blade exchange with the factory or buy a new set of blades. The price for the blade exchange was pretty reasonable, around $25.

mayuan
02-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I was looking to have my blades sharpened last week. I talked to a couple of people including SM and below is the response. I just headed down to wholesale sports and bought new blades. The old blades I'm going to send to SM for the exchange program.

Q: HOW DO I SHARPEN MY AUGER BLADES?
A: First of all, remember that the auger blades are very sharp and should be treated as a fine cutting instrument. StrikeMaster Mora hand auger blades should only be sharpened on the top edge that does not come in direct contact with the ice. Do not sharpen the bottom edge of the blade or the blades will not cut. Lazer Blades can be touched up, but not sharpened to their original edge. You may send your dull blades to StrikeMaster for exchange of new blades.

Dust1n
02-01-2011, 09:06 PM
use a file and poit it outwards or buy some new ones lol

Fishing Lifer
02-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Thought that I would try and be useful in what will be one of my rare posts. I have a 6" Strikemaster and got it sharpened at the beginning of last season at

Carbide Saw Service Calgary 6527 Bowness Rd NW, Calgary
(403) 288-4142

They did a great job as it is still cutting fine and it cost ~$10. Perhaps not really
great news for Lethbridge but at least it is an option.

Good luck.
Bill

chubbdarter
02-01-2011, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=Fishing Lifer;819940]Thought that I would try and be useful in what will be one of my rare posts. I have a 6" Strikemaster and got it sharpened at the beginning of last season at

(403) 288-4142

They did a great job as it is still cutting fine and it cost ~$10. Perhaps not really

Good luck.
Bill[/QUOTE

bestest-mostest excellent post.....thank you Bill

Mudslide
02-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Carbide Saw Service does an excellent job for a good price. I think he already has jigs made up for every major brand of blades. Nice guy and a family business to boot.

Geezle
02-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Now, do you guys know of anybody in the Edmonton area who can sharpen the curved blades?

bubba 96
02-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Had my blades sharpened by western saw in ne off of 12 st 2wks ago......8 bucks

MoFugger21
02-02-2011, 09:07 AM
use a file and poit it outwards or buy some new ones lol

Genius...... :rolleye2:

Thought that I would try and be useful in what will be one of my rare posts. I have a 6" Strikemaster and got it sharpened at the beginning of last season at

(403) 288-4142

Good luck.
Bill

Thanks Bill! I get up to Calgary every once in a while, so next time I'll have to take the blades and look em up!

If not, I'll give the blade exchange a try given its just over half the price of getting new ones each time, and I've got 2 pair I need sharpened/replaced.

If anyone knows of any other places (closer to Lethbridge) please let me know.
Thanks again!

Jiffy10
02-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Might I suggest.....

if your budget can handle it....

get a spare set . Sounds like you might have to send them in to calgary
so you may want to keep a spare set in case you hit Mud or a rock etc.

From experience .. hit Mud at a river mouth in a lake . We were
in Northern Sask . Went back to the camp that was an hour away
and paid BIG TIME for a new blade off the wall in the only store
within 2hrs of the lake we were in.

..... I always have a spare set with me now.
Fishing time is to precious to have the blades let you down.

Good luck..

MoFugger21
02-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Might I suggest.....

if your budget can handle it....

get a spare set . Sounds like you might have to send them in to calgary
so you may want to keep a spare set in case you hit Mud or a rock etc.

From experience .. hit Mud at a river mouth in a lake . We were
in Northern Sask . Went back to the camp that was an hour away
and paid BIG TIME for a new blade off the wall in the only store
within 2hrs of the lake we were in.

..... I always have a spare set with me now.
Fishing time is to precious to have the blades let you down.

Good luck..

Ya for sure. My spare set is the 2 pair I need/want to get sharpened, lol. Just getting sick of paying $45 for a new set when the old ones wear down.