PDA

View Full Version : Burbot?

kayaker
02-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Hi all,
I am heading to Slave Lake this weekend and would like to try get Burbot!

Would hanging a couple minnows on a glow jig near the bottom be a useful tactic? I will use a tip up.

Thanks

vondogleg
02-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Definitely....caught mine on a glow jig and minnows last year at slave, not on a tip up but on a rod close to the bottom...jigging...good luck!!

King Midas
02-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Just a little bit of food for thought.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=56280&highlight=slave+lake+burbot+waste

The Fisherman Guy
02-01-2011, 10:39 PM
I catch burbot at night mainly. Give a glow jig and minnow to the guy jigging right on bottom, preferably sandy or gravel. If I were you, I would put a treble on the end of your tip up with a big greasy shiner and use a depthfinder to put the minnow really close, if not just on bottom.

You'll find burbs...

TYEE
02-02-2011, 06:38 AM
I have caught all day and night, simply bounce bottom up and down three inches, stop, leave still on bottom for 15 to 20 secs every 10 jigs or so for the finicky ones. Witnessed these burbot traits many times on the aquaview. GOOD LUCK!!

kayaker
02-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks,
I'll be out overnight...

I'll try both tip up and jigging!

I'll post pics if I get one, keen to taste them too. I certainly wont waste them either like the d*%ks in the other post!

Cheers

Wolverine Boy
02-02-2011, 02:00 PM
You shouldn't have any trouble with almost any bait held / jigged near the bottom. I love catching these guys; I just still can't bare-hand them!

They are a very underrated eating fish. Out of some of our cleaner lakes I would put them up against whites & pike for taste.

Dust1n
02-02-2011, 07:45 PM
poor man lobsters speaks for itself

rem338win
02-02-2011, 07:48 PM
If you are eating fish out of Slave drink lots of tea with your meals. Nasty lake.

Good luck fishing!

Gust
02-03-2011, 02:27 PM
poor man lobsters speaks for itself

Off topic, but; the poor mans lobster statement irks me,, yes-yes-yes, I understand the playful meaning but wouldn't that make lobster poor mans burbot. I really like burbot and am glad it isn't part of the cockroach family like the lobster.

Quick note; if freezing burbot for a later meal, freeze it into a block of ice or get a good vacumm (<sp?) packager.

Jwood 456
02-03-2011, 02:28 PM
I’ve used jigs heads and minnows and find they don't work as good as a weight forward spinner such as an eerie deerie tipped with a whole minnow. The best way to hook the minnow is through the middle of the back. I generally bounce the rig of and on the bottom and lift the rig approximately 4" on ever stroke. When I see a burbot come in on the camera, I keep the jig 3" off of the bottom and leave it still. I may twitch the hook every once in a while to instigate a strike. I've caught many of my burbot in that lake in the day time on the deep side of the drop off over sandy terrain.

Dakota369
02-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Off topic, but; the poor mans lobster statement irks me,, yes-yes-yes, I understand the playful meaning but wouldn't that make lobster poor mans burbot. I really like burbot and am glad it isn't part of the cockroach family like the lobster.

Quick note; if freezing burbot for a later meal, freeze it into a block of ice or get a good vacumm (<sp?) packager.

Are you lobster/crayfish/crab prejudiced????? Alot........ and I mean ALOT of people pay top dollar for lobster etc, (which is a crustacean, not an insect like a cockroach) while the humble burbot goes through life as a reasonable facsimile to both the texture and flavor of lobster .......... but lobster is still better................:fighting0074:

Gust
02-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Are you lobster/crayfish/crab prejudiced????? Alot........ and I mean ALOT of people pay top dollar for lobster etc, (which is a crustacean, not an insect like a cockroach) while the humble burbot goes through life as a reasonable facsimile to both the texture and flavor of lobster .......... but lobster is still better................:fighting0074:

Ok, lobster is alright but burbot, pending time of year and size of fish (5 pounders and up taste best),, even better than lobster.
Burbs used to get treated like sucker and now they're popular and I betcha that if you had a shmancy pants chef prep one in a fancy shmancy restaurant, it could be more popular than chihuahuas with claws. You don't even need to dress or garnish burbs with butter,, not like lobstars

:fighting0074:

as for crab, I lived on the water and can safely say that I'm fed up with crab.

Prawns I could eat for the rest of my life.

For the thread,,, cut strips of squid in smelt shapes and jig on a long shank hook just off the bottom.

Just googled this and...

Cockroaches are distantly related to arthropods such as spiders (arachnids) and crustaceans (shrimp, crabs and conservatives). Cockroaches are insects (Class Hexapoda) and Conservatives are decapod crustaceans (Class Crustacea). The term 'roaches of the sea' reflects the behavior of Conservatives as omnivorous scavengers. Cockroaches will eat almost anything organic and so will Conservatives and then some. They clean up the dead and dying plants and constituents in their environment.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_conservatives_and_roaches_in_the_same_family#i xzz1Cw8OHLAV

Damners, I think I asked wikianswer the wrong question.

Dakota369
02-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Ok, lobster is alright but burbot, pending time of year and size of fish (5 pounders and up taste best),, even better than lobster.
Burbs used to get treated like sucker and now they're popular and I betcha that if you had a shmancy pants chef prep one in a fancy shmancy restaurant, it could be more popular than chihuahuas with claws. You don't even need to dress or garnish burbs with butter,, not like lobstars

:fighting0074:

as for crab, I lived on the water and can safely say that I'm fed up with crab.

Prawns I could eat for the rest of my life.

For the thread,,, cut strips of squid in smelt shapes and jig on a long shank hook just off the bottom.

Just googled this and...

Cockroaches are distantly related to arthropods such as spiders (arachnids) and crustaceans (shrimp, crabs and conservatives). Cockroaches are insects (Class Hexapoda) and Conservatives are decapod crustaceans (Class Crustacea). The term 'roaches of the sea' reflects the behavior of Conservatives as omnivorous scavengers. Cockroaches will eat almost anything organic and so will Conservatives and then some. They clean up the dead and dying plants and constituents in their environment.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_conservatives_and_roaches_in_the_same_family#i xzz1Cw8OHLAV

Damners, I think I asked wikianswer the wrong question.

But if I don't dip the burb and the lobsters in butter, how will I maintain my girlish figure????? Oh well time for another beer..........which incidentally goes just as well with lobster as Burb......... :sHa_shakeshout:

Gust
02-03-2011, 03:31 PM
But if I don't dip the burb and the lobsters in butter, how will I maintain my girlish figure????? Oh well time for another beer..........which incidentally goes just as well with lobster as Burb......... :sHa_shakeshout:

You know those new neoprene waders (the really tight ones) are really the fishermans girdle,,, the ones I wear from Victorias Secret Fishin Hole not only keep my figure shapely but keep all other fishermen about a hundred plus yards from me,,, the feathers on my net holder make great streamers but the heels make wading gravel beds a nightmare.

hot to hunt
02-03-2011, 03:53 PM
One other good thing to try if you don't have any glow in the dark jig heads, is drill a hole right next to the one you're fishing out of and lower a glow stick down on a line. I've had really good success with that.

chubbdarter
02-03-2011, 04:05 PM
One other good thing to try if you don't have any glow in the dark jig heads, is drill a hole right next to the one you're fishing out of and lower a glow stick down on a line. I've had really good success with that.

is the glow stick on a hook?

Dust1n
02-03-2011, 04:51 PM
must be lol

hot to hunt
02-03-2011, 07:07 PM
LOL. No I wouldn't go that far. Just tie it off. Most of them have an eyelet on the one end. Use the green ones, they've worked the best for me.

chubbdarter
02-03-2011, 07:26 PM
LOL. No I wouldn't go that far. Just tie it off. Most of them have an eyelet on the one end. Use the green ones, they've worked the best for me.

i think thats illegal

nicemustang
02-03-2011, 07:38 PM
i think thats illegal

Correct. Has to be attached to your line with your hook on. A good idea though.

Hey Chubb....I can't send you a PM, so if you could send me a PM with our cell or email, I have something for you.

chubbdarter
02-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Correct. Has to be attached to your line with your hook on. A good idea though.

Hey Chubb....I can't send you a PM, so if you could send me a PM with our cell or email, I have something for you.

my pm option dont work