PDA

View Full Version : Sonars???

dennisb
02-02-2011, 11:02 AM
In looking at the Macrum LX5 od the Showdown 5.6
Anyone have any experience, suggestions or advise on these units???

nicemustang
02-02-2011, 11:21 AM
I'd do a search for flashers. We discussed this many times already.

dennisb
02-02-2011, 06:17 PM
nicemustang I'd do a search for flashers. We discussed this many times already.

Did that already...

Like i said any pros/cons would be great. From what I've seen the Ice-55 looks to be the most simplist to use.

chubbdarter
02-02-2011, 06:55 PM
im as tech stupid as they come.

All Flashers are simple to use turn the knob hit the switch they whirl.
learning to interperate the signals takes a bit of time, but that goes for all conventional flashers

npauls
02-02-2011, 07:16 PM
I did some research on the 3 main brands and came to the conclusion that the best bang for your buck is either the marcums or the birds. I went with the bird ice 45 since I didn't really think I would need a soft case or 6 colors for the extra couple hundred that it was going to cost me. The difference in price was because I found the ice 45 brand new shipped to my door for $312 so I pulled the trigger and went with it. My buddy runs the marcum in the middle version and has nothing but good things to say. Its also nice because we can fish side by side and have no worries of interference since we are on different frequencies.

Have a look around on the net and do some reading and decide which one fits what you need in a unit. I read everything I could find over a 3 month or so period before I made up my mind.

Nate

brohymn2
02-02-2011, 07:37 PM
heres a good comparison although the showdown isnt in there, i was in the same predicament 2 weeks ago and ended up going with the lx-5 because i couldnt find a dual beam showdown in town, needless to say i love it and i dont regret the choice i made, check out iceshanty.com there is a thousand threads on the differences, after reading for hours on end i concluded that you have to look at each model and decide what you need,

from what ive read no matter what model you buy, you will be happy

brohymn2
02-02-2011, 07:38 PM
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=38003.0

sorry forgot the link

chubbdarter
02-02-2011, 07:48 PM
absolutely correct!!!!!!!!!!!!! they all work
raised on a bird and sitex
then a Vex which we still use
then a mar.5 which we still use
took delivery of a new bird today.

flashers are absolutely a must!!!!!!!!!

brohymn2
02-02-2011, 08:02 PM
flashers are absolutely a must!!!!!!!!!

ditto

dennisb
02-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks to all for your input. After a tough 1 1/2 days in the office googling like crazy...I'm still really no further along. I think however for what its worth...I'll spent the cash and go with the LX-5 of the Ice-55. The Ice-55 is in the lead only due to the LCD screen. Seems a tad simpler.

chubbdarter
02-03-2011, 03:54 PM
ask yourself....what do i want my flasher to do?
when i ask myself that.....the most important factor to me is target separation. Marcum was in the lead.....now its the bird.

GaryF
02-03-2011, 04:20 PM
I went bird 55, why? auto depth adjusts, lcd display, IMO easier to use. Plus if a fish isn't seeing your lure when its 2" away from it, it won't see it at 3/4" either, LOL.

DANOMAN
02-03-2011, 05:48 PM
for the diff in $$ i went with the ice 45 as i don't need 6 colors and since purchasing the ice 45 i am a happy puppy! Oh and the case for the ice 55 sucks anyways i got mine in a nap sac and it works like a charm