PDA

View Full Version : Egg Shells or beans

maclennanchris
02-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Anyone ever try using eggshells or white beens to show the bottom contrast better. Couple of buddies were telling me about it. Might give it a try in some deeper water.

Jamie Black R/T
02-02-2011, 11:17 AM
been using eggshells forever...works great!

youngbuck10
02-02-2011, 11:18 AM
my dad used to do that to see the when the fish swam over he used egg shells.

nicemustang
02-02-2011, 11:21 AM
These days that illegal according to the regs.

iliketrout
02-02-2011, 11:28 AM
This came up last year. DarkAisling contacted SRD about it. Read this thread for more info.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=56745&highlight=eggshells

Given the ruling for egg shells, I'm sure they would also consider beans as "Chumming". :bad_boys_20:

duffy4
02-02-2011, 12:32 PM
This came up last year. DarkAisling contacted SRD about it. Read this thread for more info.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=56745&highlight=eggshells

Given the ruling for egg shells, I'm sure they would also consider beans as "Chumming". :bad_boys_20:

your link does not show eggshells as Chumming. But suggests it may be "waste"

I have used white beans for years and will likely continue. They are not waste as far as I'm concerned and I have never seen anything in print to the contrary.

In Australia they call "chum" "Berly" and it is common practice and legal to use it. Pretty well any fishing shop will have lots of berly and despencers for it.

Braun
02-02-2011, 12:41 PM
your link does not show eggshells as Chumming. But suggests it may be "waste"

I have used white beans for years and will likely continue. They are not waste as far as I'm concerned and I have never seen anything in print to the contrary.

In Australia they call "chum" "Berly" and it is common practice and legal to use it. Pretty well any fishing shop will have lots of berly and despencers for it.

well, tap your shoes together and open your eyes and you will realize your not in the land of Aus! I am sure if you look into it, I am almost positive that you will find out that it is illegal to put anything into a lake that you did not pull out of that lake, unless it is on a hook and being used as bait(for all those willing to pick apart my post that will say worms, smelts, ect. didnt come from the lake), If it doesn't belong in the lake, dont throw it down a hole. If you need help catching fish, fish with someone who knows what they are doing, dont pollute the lakes

nicemustang
02-02-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm thinking putting anything down the hole other than a hook or electronics is illegal. Beans IMO considered chumming, egg shells littering. We used to use eggshells in the past but got fined for doing so (although that was sk).

Lazzy
02-02-2011, 01:33 PM
So what happens if a minnow or just a minnow head falls off your hook when you're jigging and makes its way to the bottom?

chubbdarter
02-02-2011, 01:53 PM
So what happens if a minnow or just a minnow head falls off your hook when you're jigging and makes its way to the bottom?

i believe thats a accident in the act of fishing with no bad intent....similar to a snag that leaves bait or a hook attached to the lake bottom

hucking in hand fulls of eggshells or beans is hardly a accident.

maclennanchris
02-02-2011, 02:50 PM
thanks guys for the info..never new that before. Sounds harmless but rules be rules......

bubba 96
02-02-2011, 03:09 PM

a fish is gonna eat it....:snapoutofit:

Lazzy
02-02-2011, 05:15 PM
a fish is gonna eat it....:snapoutofit:

Ok ya obviously, but they work just as good as egg shells and beans to see the bottom. I don't send a bunch of minnows down the hole but 1 or 2 that ''accidently'' fall off my hook give a good reference for where the bottom is.

chubbdarter
02-02-2011, 05:21 PM
okay....your years supply of beans and eggs or minnows you toss down the hole... i realize is cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!BUT you can buy a camera for 100 beans(lol) now.
better picture, no more hanging like your head like a blue heron waiting for fish to swim by and you can stop throwing trash into the lake

duffy4
02-02-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm thinking putting anything down the hole other than a hook or electronics is illegal. Beans IMO considered chumming, egg shells littering. We used to use eggshells in the past but got fined for doing so (although that was sk).

What is your definition of "Chumming"?

The fish in the lake are not attracted to the beans or the egg shells. The reason people put them down the hole is so they can see the bottom better. Both are "natural" substances that I would not consider "garbage" or "deleterious".

"If you need help catching fish, fish with someone who knows what they are doing"
What is that supposed to mean? I know how to catch fish and I sometimes like to see down the hole better to enjoy the experience and it may help to spot and hook more fish.

Lazzy
02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Man my neck get so sore from staring down the hole for 8hrs. lol. Only problem with the camera is that it's only good for seeing in one direction, also the only one I've checked out required 8 'C' batteries. Can't see them lasting very long especially in the cold. Seems like a lot of batteries... I haven't really looked into cameras too much tho.

chubbdarter
02-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Man my neck get so sore from staring down the hole for 8hrs. lol. Only problem with the camera is that it's only good for seeing in one direction, also the only one I've checked out required 8 'C' batteries. Can't see them lasting very long especially in the cold. Seems like a lot of batteries... I haven't really looked into cameras too much tho.

a fish camera will last all day on a rechargeable battery in most weather...and you can hang it so it views down hole just like you view now

Lazzy
02-02-2011, 05:44 PM
a fish camera will last all day on a rechargeable battery in most weather...and you can hang it so it views down hole just like you view now

Never thought of that.... haha makes sense tho. Maybe I'll look into getting one. I've spent enough this year on gear, the wife wont notice another 1 or 200$ gone....

Daceminnow
02-02-2011, 05:47 PM

there is also other cameras on the market that allow you to view four different directions off one head. like you mentioned Lazy, you haven't looked into them. check them out, if you like to ice fish they're an invaluable educational tool. not necessary for sure, but you'll see and more importantly learn a lot more than chucking foreign media into the lake.

horsetrader
02-02-2011, 06:27 PM

All you have to do is gather some light colored pea gravel from the shore
before freeze up spread it under your hole they can do nothing it is natural the the lake.

Newspeak
02-02-2011, 07:35 PM
^^
That's pretty smart. I totally agree, they cant fine you for moving some gravel that's already from the lake.

chubbdarter
02-02-2011, 07:55 PM
^^
That's pretty smart. I totally agree, they cant fine you for moving some gravel that's already from the lake.

hahahaha now you'll need a gps worth 500 bucks to find your gravel pile every time....i'd just buy a fish tv worth 100 eggshells.

but i bet the Gold Rush guys would help with the gravel work

horsetrader
02-02-2011, 08:03 PM
hahahaha now you'll need a gps worth 500 bucks to find your gravel pile every time....i'd just buy a fish tv worth 100 eggshells.

but i bet the Gold Rush guys would help with the gravel work

I got a stationary hut so don't need a GPS it don't move much. And if I use the portable shack you just bring a quart container of graves it's lots....Yeah I did say QUART a liter would work LOL......

chubbdarter
02-02-2011, 08:19 PM
I got a stationary hut so don't need a GPS it don't move much. And if I use the portable shack you just bring a quart container of graves it's lots....Yeah I did say QUART a liter would work LOL......

lol...how much would a 10 inch magnifying glass cost to cover your hole

horsetrader
02-02-2011, 08:44 PM
lol...how much would a 10 inch magnifying glass cost to cover your hole

OH I don't need a magnifying glass yet ,I'm old but can still see good....well good enough anyway...:)

Newspeak
02-02-2011, 08:48 PM

Personally I never use this method, just thought it was good solution for someone who likes to do this.

I do lots of fishing after dark/in dim light, so wouldn't see anything anyway. And without a tent its hard to see down our hole during the day.

Actually, it keeps me more occupied not knowing whats going on down the hole... and my imagination can run wild, LOL...

Christofficer
02-03-2011, 03:09 AM
BUT you can buy a camera for 100 beans(lol) now.
I laughed lol.

Anyways, seems like a pointless practice. It won't benefit you at all other than giving you some entertainment seeing the fish bite the hook. So, pointless. And it is littering, so unethical as well.

Jimboy
02-03-2011, 03:30 AM
well, tap your shoes together and open your eyes and you will realize your not in the land of Aus! I am sure if you look into it, I am almost positive that you will find out that it is illegal to put anything into a lake that you did not pull out of that lake, unless it is on a hook and being used as bait(for all those willing to pick apart my post that will say worms, smelts, ect. didnt come from the lake), If it doesn't belong in the lake, dont throw it down a hole. If you need help catching fish, fish with someone who knows what they are doing, dont pollute the lakes

So mother mallard duck lays her eggs in the grass , ole mr skunk eatsum and leaves the shells to pollute the enviroment , gimmy a break and pull your head out of the sand my friend , egg shells are enviromentally friendly, and also provides calcium .
Just because some bonehead in govt calls it waste and polluting , dont make it true , she/he may see egg shells as garbage because they throw them in the garbage after they eat them .

Alberta Bigbore
02-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Humminbird ICE-55 flashers work waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than eggshells ever did ;)

Geezle
02-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Just because some bonehead in govt calls it waste and polluting , dont make it true , she/he may see egg shells as garbage because they throw them in the garbage after they eat them .

So are you saying it's okay to chuck eggshells down the hole because in your opinion the lawmakers are boneheads and you know better?

WayneChristie
02-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Never thought of that.... haha makes sense tho. Maybe I'll look into getting one. I've spent enough this year on gear, the wife wont notice another 1 or 200$ gone....

I use a portable power pack to run my camera, and my tent light for burb fishing, and the depthfinder when I use it, and boost the truck if I have to. will run the tv for days and days

Jimboy
02-03-2011, 09:12 AM
So are you saying it's okay to chuck eggshells down the hole because in your opinion the lawmakers are boneheads and you know better?

You got it.

horsetrader
02-03-2011, 09:29 AM

Actually the worst thing you can put down your hole is not whats on your hook
it's your hook line and sinker it's self.It is far more hazardous to the environment then eggshells beans or a couple stray minnows.

Tyangelo
02-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Agreed. Objects that are intentionally be thrown into the lake is littering. You might not do much harm by yourself...but the 500 other people doing it that year will. It's accumulating destruction. Buy a flasher or a camera, save your neck. And the fish.

Having said that, I don't see any harm in throwing gravel in. That'd be the exception.

nicemustang
02-03-2011, 10:14 AM
There is a lot of ignorant people on here lately. Apparently people think its ok to throw crap down a hole in a lake and litter and think that is OK. To each there own I guess but that is ridiculous IMO. Probably far worst things in the lake though than biodegradables but still I wouldn't recommend it.

baitfisher83
02-03-2011, 10:18 AM
There is a lot of ignorant people on here lately. Apparently people think its ok to throw crap down a hole in a lake and litter and think that is OK. To each there own I guess but that is ridiculous IMO. Probably far worst things in the lake though than biodegradables but still I wouldn't recommend it.

It's people who think they are exempt from such laws if they have provided some sort of service to the country. Laws are laws and no one should be able to claim they have more rights than anyone else....Stop littering, if you cant catch fish, don't go....Sure I get skunked once and a while but it doesn't mean I'm gonna dump stuff down the hole to attract fish.....
that's not directed at you btw it's just a response..lol

Jamie Black R/T
02-03-2011, 11:39 AM
the eggshells sink and give you a reference of the bottom and also create a little contrast when a fish shows up.

They dont attract fish.

I got the idea from a fish cop who stopped at my tent to check licenses almost ten years ago and it works great...and will continue to work great for many fishermen for decades to come I assure you.

Whether internet heroes find someway to make if morally wrong or not will continue to have no bearing in my life decisions.

Way to go "outdoorsmen" another simple thread about to be closed :snapoutofit:

nicemustang
02-03-2011, 12:15 PM
the eggshells sink and give you a reference of the bottom and also create a little contrast when a fish shows up.

They dont attract fish.

I got the idea from a fish cop who stopped at my tent to check licenses almost ten years ago and it works great...and will continue to work great for many fishermen for decades to come I assure you.

Whether internet heroes find someway to make if morally wrong or not will continue to have no bearing in my life decisions.

Way to go "outdoorsmen" another simple thread about to be closed :snapoutofit:

How can you call yourself an outdoorsmen if you are littering in a lake?

buster92
02-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Nicely put Mustang!:fighting0030:

Jamie Black R/T
02-03-2011, 12:42 PM
We used to use eggshells in the past but got fined for doing so (although that was sk).

How can you call yourself an outdoorsmen if you are littering in a lake?

Had i asked you that pre-fine. What would you have said?

You know what they say about having nothing good to say so.....

:snapoutofit:

chubbdarter
02-03-2011, 12:43 PM
can i post a snow and travel update for Travers here?

nicemustang
02-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Had i asked you that pre-fine. What would you have said?

You know what they say about having nothing good to say so.....

:snapoutofit:

Well that was many years ago and I was a kid (~13) so I didn't know any better. Some 18 years later it would never cross my mind to such a thing. Many things have changed in 18 years that was once done that isn't done anymore. Like I said, ignorance. I'm not judging you, you may do want you wish, but it is littering no matter which way you look at. No different than throwing an apple core out your window or off the boat in a lake.

WayneChristie
02-03-2011, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=baitfisher83;821438]It's people who think they are exempt from such laws if they have provided some sort of service to the country.
????????????????????

Fishfinder
02-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Ya I wondered if shells were legal. Guess not. Never tried em but like said above, a lost minnow down the hole shows the bottom fine. I personally like nothing down there except hungry fish and my lonely baited hook:)