PDA

View Full Version : Way back when

chubbdarter
02-02-2011, 02:16 PM
When i was just a little bugger. I remember my grandpa and dad taking me to net whitefish in a canal near Scandia.
The water wasnt flowing as the irrigation season was over. I do remember we were near a highway.
Gramps and Dad would string a net across the canal and pin it down good...then they both walked a long ways up the banks and enter the water and push pickup loads of whitefish towards the net.
the first time i saw the wave of fish bulging the water i ran to the truck and locked the door.
i remember lots of people in gramps yard coming to get some whitefish....i even remember a police man who used to unload his gun and let me hold it....hehhehheehe i miss the simpler days.
is this still allowed...any of you do it?

Redfrog
02-02-2011, 03:16 PM
HMMMM I'm not even sure if policemen have guns these days.:thinking-006:

nicemustang
02-02-2011, 03:52 PM
As far as I know this is not allowed these days. Although we take part in an annual netting of whites on my home lake in SK on the weekend before xmas and it's always a good time. 5 nets, 850 whites this year in one pull.

chubbdarter
02-02-2011, 03:58 PM
As far as I know this is not allowed these days. Although we take part in an annual netting of whites on my home lake in SK on the weekend before xmas and it's always a good time. 5 nets, 850 whites this year in one pull.

kinda sad that there is no salvage fishery....all those fish die with no one benifiting

Daceminnow
02-02-2011, 04:11 PM
the saddest scene is driving by a "village" in the north country and seeing a frozen wad of nets and fish in the back of a pick-up with the local dog pack gnawing away at the frozen fish. thats a sad scene.

Sundancefisher
02-02-2011, 05:13 PM
kinda sad that there is no salvage fishery....all those fish die with no one benifiting

There is some illegal harvest by Hutterites in places. Trout Unlimited does a catch and move program on some canals. There is no salvage fishery but if you know of a location with this problem the local Fish & Game Association or Trout Unlimited should be able to point you in the right direction for helping. And if a few whites don't make the move safely...there is a probably a meal in it for ya...or at least the standard volunteer barbeque

Daceminnow
02-02-2011, 10:24 PM
When i was just a little bugger. I remember my grandpa and dad taking me to net whitefish in a canal near Scandia.
The water wasnt flowing as the irrigation season was over. I do remember we were near a highway.
Gramps and Dad would string a net across the canal and pin it down good...then they both walked a long ways up the banks and enter the water and push pickup loads of whitefish towards the net.
the first time i saw the wave of fish bulging the water i ran to the truck and locked the door.
i remember lots of people in gramps yard coming to get some whitefish....i even remember a police man who used to unload his gun and let me hold it....hehhehheehe i miss the simpler days.
is this still allowed...any of you do it?

CB,

tried to find this earlier. it's what came to mind when i read this. are your childhood memories of this experience anything like this? check it out. wild!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9CqyDBhe3g

marlin1
02-05-2011, 06:05 PM
I was under the understanding you could still obtain salvage permits . The limits may be lower now though