PDA

View Full Version : Trolling For Kokannee!

trapshooter
02-02-2011, 09:30 PM
I am fairly new to fly fishing, I was wondering what type of fly to use for trolling for kokannee? I will be fishing at Moyie lake B.C. i always have luck with super duper lures on the spinning rod, but what about fly fishing? What flies would you suggest? Thanks

Dust1n
02-02-2011, 09:59 PM
pink FTW

chubbdarter
02-02-2011, 10:24 PM
guys on the koot...flyfish with a fly they call kokanee kandy....its just a hot pink epoxy fly with pink tinsel at the throat

Kingfisher
02-03-2011, 01:48 AM
I have had good luck with a blood red micro leech in size 10 and smaller. The line I use is a clear intermediate sinking line. I have a couple of them one is made by Cortland. It's called their Clear Camo line and the other is a Rio line. They call theirs the AquaLux Intermediate. The Rio one is the one I prefer. It's a great line for all types of lake fishing applications. If your trolling a fly slowly it will drop it down a couple of feet below the surface. This is usually sufficient for the kokanee.

One thing to remember when you catch your kokanee. Don't horse them in. Kokanee have very soft mouths and the hook will come out very easily.

Rob

Dust1n
02-03-2011, 07:17 AM
where are you going for them if u go from shore go early morning and after noon

sir pikealott
02-03-2011, 08:28 AM
X3 for the pink! Our hooks are usually #10's as well.

thumper
02-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Keep your flys much smaller than what's used on Kootenay Lake or Koocanusa Res. I fish Moyie all the time, but have never seen a kokanee bigger than 14 inches there, and most are 8 to 10.

Guys were hitting them pretty good through the ice there last weekend with pink maggots. The upper lake is still mainly open water, but the lower is frozen. This weekend is the Kokanee Cove Pub's annual derby :)

Kingfisher
02-03-2011, 10:53 AM
2 more flies that I've used for kokanee are a red doc spratley and a red carey special.

I totally agree with Thumper. Make sure you keep the flies small for Moyie.

Rob

tacklerunner
02-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Tip your fly with a maggot as well if you don't mind taking a bit of the "sport" out of true flyfishing.

trapshooter
02-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Bump