PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning brass

HunterRed
02-06-2011, 02:30 PM
How do you guys clean the dust off your brass after tumbling it seems like using paper towel is the hard way it takes forever. How about removing the wax after sizing t would seem like I spend hours and hours just to have bright clean brass. Wondering if I am missing something or if there is a better way.
Thanks

hillbillyreefer
02-06-2011, 03:07 PM
If it's reasonably clean when it gets to the loading room I don't tumble it first. I size, deprive, trim and whatever else needs doing, then toss it in the tumbler long enough to get rid of the bear grease. Sift out the brass, check for plugged flash holes, and carry on.

Shiny things are for pike.

222rem
02-06-2011, 06:24 PM
I don't think there is easy way to clean dust from the brass, I use lint free cloth you can do this while watching WildTV......... time will fly .
As for removing lubricant from the brass I have two batches of cleaning media one for cleaning other one for removing lubricant ......... And you guessed more WildTV

sparky660
02-06-2011, 08:25 PM
This is the worst part of reloading and as far as I know no real easy way to do it. Like 222rem said I grab an empty ziploc container, sit my arse on the couch and wipe them down with a lint free towel.

6.5 shooter
02-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Go to your laundry room, grab a dryer sheet and throw it in with your brass, while it is tumbling or in my case vibrating. I don't know how many hours I wasted, wiping cases till I found this little trick and it REALLY works.

ditch donkey
02-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Go to your laundry room, grab a dryer sheet and throw it in with your brass, while it is tumbling or in my case vibrating. I don't know how many hours I wasted, wiping cases till I found this little trick and it REALLY works.

Sounds interesting, and simple, but just so we're on the same page. Tumble in media as usual, sift and separate, then throw a dryer sheet in the tumbler with no media and let it vibrate for a half hour?

Thanks for the tip!

Dr. Phil A
02-06-2011, 09:05 PM
x2 on the bounce sheet.Toss it in the tumbler with the brass and media. I use a half sheet of used softener sheet. Works like a charm.

twofifty
02-06-2011, 10:38 PM
To wash: Throw cases in a 5 gal. bucket half-filled with hot water. Add bit of dish suds. Spin this up with a stick or wooden spoon. Drain.

Rinse: hot water, spin again, drain.

Drying: Place old towel onto floor, dump cases. Spread them out to air dry.
If in a hurry I air dry outside, in the sun.

HunterRed
02-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks everyone, drier sheet is in the tumbler