PDA

View Full Version : Gas spill in Calgary

WayneChristie
02-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Just wondering if this will affect the Bow,, since the gas station is only one street over from the river. Hopefully it wont get that far, but its all rocks and gravel between.

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/leak+forcing+more+more+bowness+residents+walk+away +from+homes/4237345/story.html

Dust1n
02-07-2011, 07:32 PM
i hope not thats a prime fishery

Overdrawn
02-07-2011, 09:54 PM
I used to work with enviromental company's testing old gas station sites, and I have never heard of contamination so bad you can smell it in houses and some being deemed unihabital. This means it has been leeking for a while. When they do test wells for contamination they can see right away if its contaminatied. I would say there are things not being said to keep it out of the public eye. If it is smelling in houses the contamination is there. How do you clean that up? And even if the gas station is shut down the damage is done. And by the sounds of thing Alberta Enviroment isn't doing squwat. That gas station should be shut down, Tanks dug up. I have seen a water collection system put in by a river to catch the contamintion before it entre the system but that was out in the country. How do you do it in a city. You can't. I would say its going to make it to the river. That is an udder shame.

fishstix
02-08-2011, 05:33 AM
I'm sure if the gas was going to make it to the river the authorities would have done something by now. With all the environmentalists walking and biking on the paths, someone would have noticed.

blackpheasant
02-08-2011, 05:57 AM
7,000 Litres to 9000 Litres isn't a real big spill, however if these homeowners have gasoline leaching into there yards it's pretty obvious they did not contain the leak...I smell law suit here big time, especially if a spill was reported by Gas Plus and not contained...as for the River being contaminated some fairly routine tests will reveal if it to was or not...

Overdrawn
02-08-2011, 06:58 AM
They say 7000 to 9000 liters but how much spilt in reality?

WayneChristie
02-08-2011, 07:07 AM
I'm sure if the gas was going to make it to the river the authorities would have done something by now. With all the environmentalists walking and biking on the paths, someone would have noticed.

unfortunately there are no paths along that side, just the big fancy houses along the river with private yards. I really do hope it hasnt made it to the river. I know just upstream that there have been ammonia leaks as well, from COP and I dont remember hearing much about it in the media. I saw the containment systems they had in place at the storm sewer it was leaking from, didnt seem very effective, just some absorbent sock type dams.

Photoplex
02-08-2011, 07:33 AM
If it's leached that far already (to the houses on the river), then you can bet it's made it the extra 50 meters to the river.

Also, I am assuming they didn't "spill" 7000-9000 litres. I'll be it's more like the underground tank had a crack/leak, and they noticed over a period of time (weeks? months?) they were losing more fuel than they'd received payments for.

$0.02

WayneChristie
02-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Thats what Im afraid of too, that its already been contaminating the river for a while, if a company reports a spill to the authorities, especially that close to a major river, those authorities should be looking into it right away, not waiting 6 months

tallieho
02-08-2011, 09:12 AM
there used to be 2 refineries some yrs back,right on the river.esso & gulf,the fishery has done well.i fear that cn &cp rail yards in ogden contaminate away more than the bow cres. leak.my 02 worth

marlin1
02-08-2011, 09:50 AM
I get gas there quite often , it is a couple blocks to the river at least , lots of rock in the ground down there , hard to say if it'll get that far . Lots of fuel moves through there as the price is cheap . I am comparing the fuel to Esso or Co-op to see if I get better mileage as I've heard octanes can vary

WayneChristie
02-08-2011, 07:10 PM
I get gas there quite often , it is a couple blocks to the river at least , lots of rock in the ground down there , hard to say if it'll get that far . Lots of fuel moves through there as the price is cheap . I am comparing the fuel to Esso or Co-op to see if I get better mileage as I've heard octanes can vary

Its only one street over from the river, altho the fancy yards that back onto the river are quite big. All the ground there is rock, but not much solid rock, mostly boulders to gravel. I grew up in the area so I know it quite well. The station used to be a Shell so I assume thats whose gas they sell.Im just hoping it doesnt/didnt make it to the watertable. If they admit to that much leakage, I wonder how much they really lost.

Overdrawn
02-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Pretty scary if you ask me. Just throw some fresh dirt over it and if grass grows don't worry about. If it all Loss rock it would have went down to original grade of material and speard from there and the fumes or hydrocarbons rise from there. They do say if you can smell gas when your filling up your vehicle you have been exposed to to many benzine's. Benzine's are very carcinogenic, I feel sorry for all the home owners who have to live with the smell.