PDA

View Full Version : Little Buddy vs Portable Buddy

Photoplex
02-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Looking at these two buddy heaters for use in a 3 man pop-up ice tent, and wondered if anyone has used either. Only looking for something to run for 30 mins on, 30 mins off to take the edge off - definitely not looking to be in a sauna!

Portability is a big concern, so I'm really drawn to the Little Buddy, but the sale on the Portable Buddy (at BPS) has thrown a wrench in my works...

Thoughts?

Mr. Heater® Base Camp Buddy Portable Propane Heater
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPhjlfZcSpq5Cd5opfcOhc30mRW-jwbvSdh_9Z9S-g4P-1UNcm&t=1
1lb tank = 5 1/2 hours @ 3800BTUs
$80

Mr. Heater® Portable Buddy® Portable Propane Heater
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmvijMl-gwhf07eUTVhprbE5Q__-sIJel-aDeBJ3A2gWz3DlV29A
1lb tank = 6hrs @ 4000BTUs
1lb tank = 3hrs @ 9000BTUs
On sale: @ $80

gramps73
02-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Buy the portable buddy, a little bigger but will keep the shack warm on those cold days..I would also say the time line that they give is out to lunch...I would think those are based on low...

maclennanchris
02-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Well i have the big buddy and love it. My money would go to the portable buddy if I was you. Mine heats a 6 man tent very well, we were out at Chickakoo in -29 and very comfortable

Photoplex
02-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Buy the portable buddy, a little bigger but will keep the shack warm on those cold days..I would also say the time line that they give is out to lunch...I would think those are based on low...

For the Portable Buddy, it says that a 1lb tank should last 6 hours @ 4000 BTUs. (low setting). Does that sound way off?

Photoplex
02-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Anyone know if the little or portable comes with any kind of carry/transport case?

chubbdarter
02-07-2011, 07:55 PM
photo i have the buddy in your pic...we rarely use our tent anymore..not once this year...if you want to test drive the buddy...stop by and pick ours up and try it out

gramps73
02-07-2011, 07:58 PM
For the Portable Buddy, it says that a 1lb tank should last 6 hours @ 4000 BTUs. (low setting). Does that sound way off?

I would say that is close but if you were running it on low in -30 you would be cold..if you have the room get a small propane bottle and hose best way to go IMO..

Photoplex
02-07-2011, 08:02 PM
I would say that is close but if you were running it on low in -30 you would be cold..if you have the room get a small propane bottle and hose best way to go IMO..

But then it could mean humping out a 20lb propane tank on top of all the other cr@p we're trying to fit into a sled!

Photoplex
02-07-2011, 08:03 PM
photo i have the buddy in your pic...we rarely use our tent anymore..not once this year...if you want to test drive the buddy...stop by and pick ours up and try it out

That would be very much appreciated! Which one? The tank topper one, or the bigger one?

Dust1n
02-07-2011, 08:05 PM
little buddys for sure they heat my ice shack in winter :P but ya they are amazing for what they put out

JessePat
02-07-2011, 08:07 PM
I have a portable buddy and I am so glad that i got it instead of the little buddy. It is really nice to be able to kick it up to the higher setting on the cold days. Even when it was -20 we had to turn it down because we got to warm in our 4 man tent. The bottles last awhile too. I would say 2 bottles for 6 hours on high setting. With a bottle being between 4-5 dollars that is a heck of a deal to stay warm all day. It is light weight and really not that big. It doesn't come with any case but I have found it to be durable.

I highly suggest the portable buddy

chubbdarter
02-07-2011, 08:07 PM
That would be very much appreciated! Which one? The tank topper one, or the bigger one?

the buddy one(second pic) i dont have the tank hose. we just used the small gas bottles....it would near sautee us in a frabil 3 man flip

we always watched CT for sales..the bottles were 2.99 and we would stock up cheap heat

Dust1n
02-07-2011, 08:08 PM
if u got a hard shack get a stove btter for your health

Daceminnow
02-07-2011, 08:12 PM
But then it could mean humping out a 20lb propane tank on top of all the other cr@p we're trying to fit into a sled!

there was a thread on this not too long ago. you can find smaller 5lb propane bottles. its not easy but there out there. need a hose of course but if you want to spend eight hours in a tent @ -30 you have the choice to run the bigger bottle. my heater, the 5lb bottle a couple ice spoons and a few wire rod holders all fit nice into a milk crate. also can cook on it. this is the unit.

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=42&id=22

Braun
02-07-2011, 08:12 PM
you dont need a 20lber. you can get a 5 lber. and not to reccomend doing anything illegal........ so i definately not reccomend to order an attachment from the states which you should not use to fill the 1lb bottles yourself from a 20lb tank.

I just got rid of my buddy (girlfriend complained it wasnt warm enough, i thought it was great) and i always ran it on high and a 1lb bottle lasted longer than 4 hours. i would say closer to 6. lets put it this way, i would never change out my bottles in the middle of the day and i would run the heater the entire trip... still always carried an extra bottle in my sled and a couple extra in the car.

chubbdarter
02-07-2011, 08:20 PM
pretty sure we used to buy the 5lbers at Greggs Dist......maybe it was Superior....but i think Greggs it was

Photoplex
02-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Going to get myself over to BPS one night this week to get my hands on them both and see if I can live with the bigger footprint and weight of the Portable.

chubbdarter
02-07-2011, 08:28 PM
well let me know in advance and i'll put the heater in the secret spot outside my house for pickup...really not so secret anymore..but your welcome to test drive it for thewinter

Photoplex
02-07-2011, 08:34 PM
well let me know in advance and i'll put the heater in the secret spot outside my house for pickup...really not so secret anymore..but your welcome to test drive it for thewinter

Sounds good Chubs - cheers mate. Will let you know later this week :)

Dust1n
02-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Pm sent

rider pride
02-07-2011, 09:06 PM
I have a little buddy heater and it heats my 4 man tent no problem.

sdimedru
02-07-2011, 10:42 PM
how does the coleman procat compare to the portable buddy? been reading lots about both but I'm not sure which to pick up...

Kim473
02-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Get a big buddy heater and small tank from princess auto. Then ur not limited. Have read so many people have got a smaller heater only to have to upgrade latter on. They have all sizes of tanks. Check there web site.

Geezle
02-08-2011, 07:40 AM
I've never looked for them, but apparently you can get a 10lb tank from CT. I've been told they're the same size around as a 20lber, but half the height :)

Might be a good option if you wanted to go up to the larger (and less expensive) sunflower style as well. If it's too hot just crank down the valve on the tank to set it 'lower than low'

Jiffy10
02-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Portable Buddy.
Mine works awesome. It a bit less tippy as it isnt so top heavy
It has a better protective grille system so you are somewhat protected
from bumping into it and melting your glove. I speak from experience on
that one. Also if your kicking a fish around inside your tent its a bit
harder to knock over versus the sunflower type..
But here's the best part... now dont laugh.....

if you get one of those cheap grilling grids from the dollar store.
You know .... they have a handle on them for making toast or smores.
You can hang it in front of the grille on a small S hook and toast your
sandwiches !!
It works awesome !! Ive been doing it for years and it makes
lunch a bit more fun. Watch out for dripping cheese !!

get the portable buddy.....

Photoplex
02-08-2011, 09:00 AM
if you get one of those cheap grilling grids from the dollar store.
You know .... they have a handle on them for making toast or smores.
You can hang it in front of the grille on a small S hook and toast your
sandwiches !!
It works awesome !! Ive been doing it for years and it makes
lunch a bit more fun. Watch out for dripping cheese !!

get the portable buddy.....

Haha - that's almost worth the inconvenience!

Willowtrail
02-08-2011, 10:17 AM
We did something similar on saturday and cooked Kuby burgers right in the tent. no dripping and no smoke and tasted fantastic. Ain't ice fishing great. Go with the big buddy IMO

ssyd
02-08-2011, 01:31 PM
We've been using the Portable Buddy pretty much all season and it's been great to have. It's not super powerful but it heats a 4-man ice tent nicely. 4000 BTU's isn't that much heat so the Little Buddy would probably only be good for warming your hands.

Go for the Portable Buddy. It's worth the extra bulk.

GaryF
02-08-2011, 03:28 PM
The portable buddy is not $80 at BPS, its $99.

Photoplex
02-08-2011, 03:31 PM
The portable buddy is not $80 at BPS, its $99.

Oh... it must just be their website then.

chubbdarter
02-08-2011, 03:38 PM
princess power fist has sales on them sometimes

Photoplex
02-08-2011, 03:46 PM
princess power fist has sales on them sometimes

Out of stock (according to the guy on the phone - across the whole country)

iliketrout
02-08-2011, 04:18 PM
All of the prices on the BPS website are in USD, but their flyer on the website for the Calgary store is in CAD.

It's annoying to see how much more we are charged for the same item...especially when the dollar is more-or-less at par...

aulrich
02-09-2011, 09:07 AM
I have only done mail orders from Cabelas and .com never .ca even when we had a lower value dollar when I added it all up it was still significantly cheaper on lots of stuff. for me the .ca does not even exist.