PDA

View Full Version : Another Lake not doing well???

glen1971
02-08-2011, 05:38 AM
I heard yesterday that Lees Lake by Pincher is having a rough go of it this winter.. Heard that there is a parasite from goose droppings that has made its way into the lake.. The fish are coming out skinny and full of small worms..
Anyone hear more on this one?? That will be another blow to the fishing in this area...:(

Guitarplayingfish
02-08-2011, 12:30 PM
I have fished this lake for a number of years, and this is what I can tell you. Last summer there was a black worm parasite going around the lake, which produced boils under the skin of the trout. I talked to a fish and wildlife representative, and He said that there is nothing they can do, and it will go away with time. I have fished it a couple times this winter already, and I haven't seen any parasites/boils.. Although, I only kept one this year and it was fine.. This winter the fishing has been slower than previous years, and the size seems to have gotten even smaller. Not sure if this is because of what your talking about, but I suppose its possible. Hopefully this won't over-run the lake.. I hate seeing a fishery become infected with parasites. Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of fish to catch, but in comparison to previous years... This year isn't great for Lees.

Personally, I would like to see the regulations for Lee changed.. The limit is 5 of any size.. Which is too bad, because every time I go I see people with stringers full of half-lbers. With a max depth of about 55-56ft, Lees has potential to hold and sustain large rainbows. I have also talked to F&W about this, and they basically told me to go fish a trophy lake if that is what I want. Petition anyone?

Wes_G
02-08-2011, 07:11 PM
I noticed these parasites there a few years ago. They almost look like little worms. I caught fish there last winter that were covered in them.

Elk Slayer
02-08-2011, 10:07 PM
I lived in hillcrest for a few years and fished lee lake about once a week (do to its close prox.) excludeing this year. Ive only seen this twice not sure what it is, but when somethings got worms, or visible parisites count me out.

besides that fisihing is usually quite productive at lees, but above 12 inches is few and far between. made it out this year twice, one keeeper both times and they were fine eats.

Freddydog
02-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Dudes, lets face it if we are resorted to fishing in these crappy little stocked ponds are we even fishermen. leave this crap for the novices. real fishing is for wild and native fish. Complaining thqt a crappy old pond gets diseased is like complaining like our cattle get mad cow disease. lets try and get some quality fisheries a thing alberta left behind years ago. just to think about

fisherwoman
02-09-2011, 01:54 AM
So anyways...
I have seen the boils on the fish in Lees Lake too. Last summer I kept one and cut open the boil. It was a small white ball of...fat maybe. I have never seen anything worm-like on fish from this lake. Anyways I ate the fish and have eaten a few others since then. And I didn't die. So that's all I can tell you.