PDA

View Full Version : perch

WalleyeMaster
02-08-2011, 08:16 AM
anyone been havin good luck for perch around red deer and if so what lake?
today is my last day of hardwater fishin got to go to work again

nicemustang
02-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Pine? Lots of pech in there.

Easywean
02-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Pine is full of freshwater shrimp and all the fish are feeding on that rather than biting (at least my theory anyways) so perch have been slow there this winter. I picked up a jig that looks like a shrimp i'll let you know how it works

nicemustang
02-08-2011, 08:43 AM
I hear ya, but there is always a feeding school somewhere. Going to pine and drilling a couple holes at Scotty's isn't really giving you a lots of options. Lots of people fish there and those fish seen everything before. Get off and go fish somewhere else and you'll be rewarded. You have to keep drilling down the drop and find the active schools. And might have to move a couple times as well to stay with them.

WalleyeMaster
02-08-2011, 11:44 AM
most of pine lake drops off correct?
im out at gull and its pretty slow seen two whites and lost one at the ice

nicemustang
02-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Gull is tricky for perch unless you really know the lake and have some spots GPS'd. IMO, pine is the better bet. Look at the depth chart and fish the 25-30 FOW mark with small jigs, hali jigs, small spoons, etc. with maggots, mealworms or shrimp.

WabbitKilla
02-10-2011, 01:31 PM
how long are you fishing a hoel before you drill another??

nicemustang
02-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Depends what I see on the flasher.

npauls
02-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Try drilling like 10-20 holes at the start once you know where you kind of want to fish. This way you can hole hop and keep on active fish. More then a few times I have drilled 20 holes in lines of 4x5 along the spot im on and then just end up hole hopping those holes all day and still getting fish out of them. I will drop the flasher and see whats going on and if I don't see something in the first couple minutes I will move to the next hole. Once I get a few fish the bite seems to stop at that hole so I head to the next hole in that depth range.

Easywean
02-10-2011, 05:54 PM
That doesn't work too well with an armstrong auger and no electronics though

npauls
02-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Drill a few holes at first in different depths and take a few rods rigged with a few different things and check out those holes first. Once you find the depth and area the fish are in then drill a few more with the hand auger. Aggressive perch will let you know when you have something they want so I don't think it will take to long if you know an approximate area to start in.