PDA

View Full Version : Calling OK, driving on, not so much

Drewski Canuck
02-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Was at the cabin on Sunday dropping off building supplies. One of the neighbours who now lives and fishes, full time, was over. Fishing has been pretty good to great on the good days, and slow on some. Lots of oversize walleye though and a few big pike.

Lake is snow machine only at this time due to the flood ice. Snow pack dropped alot, so if this week turns out as forcast, the flood ice should be history once the whole snow pack drops and everything re freezes.

Drewski

Captain John
02-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks i've been interested in going up to calling for a while but never got around to it.
Just wondering if you know what part of the lake is most productive and what hooks have been working.
Thx for any advice

Drewski Canuck
02-08-2011, 10:17 PM
You can't get too far from the east access points and you don't have to. Minnows and jigs. Minnow and Wetskiwin Special. Swedish Pimple. Krokodile in Chartreause or fire tiger orange.

Drewski

Safety D
02-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Its DEAD !!!!

Drewski Canuck
02-09-2011, 12:15 PM
In fact, EVERYBODY COME TO THE WAKE!!!!

In fact, LET'S MAKE THIS AN IRISH WAKE!!!!

I will host the festivities and the rememberance ceremony at Calling Lake. Safety D, you do the Eulogy. I might not be in the crowd though, as I'll be fishing.

Drewski

mountainman
02-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey Drewski,
I'm heading out tomorrow for an ice fish with my kids. Not sure where I'm heading yet. I won't have the sled. I've fished Calling a few times open water and on the ice over the years. Sounds like the access is pretty bad. I've got a 4 wheel truck, is there any access at all? From your first post I thought no, but after reading your last, it almost looks like there is some access, I could be reading it wrong too. I guess, if your looking back at this site, would you recommend going or not. If not, I might just head to another lake. I've got 3 eager beavers looking forward to catching a fish or 2. I've got chains and a shovel, but I'd rather not get stuck with the kids. I'll save that for when I'm out with my bro or some buddies. :)
Thanks,
MM

Safety D
02-09-2011, 10:14 PM
its ALIVE in JUNE

Drewski Canuck
02-10-2011, 10:08 AM
You only have to walk out from the Tower about 300 yards to get into 6 feet of water. The fish are around all day long. Pull a toboggan and take insulated rubber boots. I would not try to drive just yet. this weekend should drop the snow pack another 6 inches and the whole mess will then re freeze. As of last Sunday, even with the significant melt, there was still flood under about 8 inches of hard snow.

Once a few brave souls break trail, and it refreezes, you will be fine. I don't feel brave myself.

Drewski

FisherGrrrl
02-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Was there yesturday. the flood ice had froze and was driveable for the weekend

Fishtech1986
02-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Ive been out at calling twice this winter, had luck both times. the first time was one nice pike and a nice walleye. on the second time out we caught 2 wall and 2 pike. all nice fish. i9 also lost 2 other nice walls on the hole. saw tonnes on the camera so it shouldnt be to tough. gonna be going back next sat. wew were unable to drive but we just parked and walked out to about 15 - 20 ft of water, about 300m out. Used mostly jigs with a minnow. all the walleye landed were on tipups so just a bare hook and minnow might be the key.

Drewski Canuck
02-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Worked like a dog all weekend. Didn't fish. spoke to some cabin owners who have made a trail to VW point. commercial fishermen broke the initial trail a couple of weeks ago and it was hard slugging. with refreeze and traffic, trail apparently is pretty good. no one driving on at the tower or at Poplar Street though.

Drewski